A Little Trip

After returning to Republic City Sukara had agreed to spend most of her time on Air temple island. Tenzin and the others had some important questions they wanted to get cleared up. And she answered them, in between Tenzin's meetings with president Rico. Whatever they asked, she would tell them whatever she knew. She had decided that honesty was her way forward. There was no point in continuing any sort of facade. She wouldn't sugar coat it but she also wasn't going to tell them every detail if they didn't ask.

Over the next couple of days, a lot had happened. The Prince got kidnapped and rescued. Bolin and Varrik escaped and got back to Republic City. And they found out that Kuvira was building some kind of super weapon with spirit vines. It all made Sukara very twitchy. She wanted to follow Tenzin's rules so that he would trust her but she also desperately wanted to help. Even annoying the air benders wasn't good enough entertainment anymore. She wanted to do something.

She was leaning on the railing of the walkway when she heard footsteps on the wood. Sukara turned to see Lin, who stopped as she saw her.

"Hey Lin," Sukara chimed, turning so her back was against the railing, "long time no see."

"Has it?" Lin scoffed as she started walking again, a large bag in her arms, "time seems to fly when you're not being bothered by an annoying villain."

"Oi, I'm not a villain," Sukara protested as Lin caught up to her, she followed as she passed, "ask Tenzin, I have been an exemplary guest."

"Oh yeah, Tenzin told me a few things about you already," Lin smiled a little, not slowing as the shorter woman jogged to keep up with her.

"Okay. Yeah. But, you shouldn't take too much of that to heart," Sukara said, taking an extra step to get ahead of her, "I've changed. Don't you believe that people can change?"

"I'm sceptical," she said, stopping in her tracks suddenly. Something in her mind clicked and her face changed.

"What? What is it?" Sukara asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion at the police chief.

"But you could still be useful," she said, almost to herself. Sukara just frowned, expecting her to continue explaining, "you have a unique insight to how Kuvira thinks."

"Because we were both neglected as children," Sukara nodded, thinking they were on the same wavelength.

"No because-- wait what?" Lin asked, stopping herself as she realised that no part of what Sukara just said made much sense to her. She felt a twinge of sympathy for her all the same, "how do you know that about Kuvira?"

"I know a lot of things Lin," Sukara shrugged, making herself feel all mysterious, "and I just spent a brief amount of time with your sister because of her so, she kind of came up in conversation."

"Right, anyway. What I meant was that you're both dictators," Lin said, getting back on track.

"Former."

"Whatever," Lin told her, brushing off the correction, "it means that you know more about how she thinks than we do. I can't believe I'm going to ask you this but, would you come with me to save my family from Kuvira?"

"Sure," Sukara said, "as long as you don't tell Tenzin. Or do tell Tenzin, but you have to do it."

"I'm not telling Tenzin anything," Lin frowned before pointing at Sukara from under the bag, "you can't tell Opal I asked you either. I told her we weren't going to do that."

Sukara nodded in agreement, happy to be able to help someone. Lin shifted the bag she was carrying into Sukara's arm after she agreed. She let out a huff as it hit her in the chest but followed Lin anyway as she walked out into the courtyard.