Expecting

It had been a few weeks since they had travelled to the spirit world. They had been told that the process only gave them similar, if a little elevated, odds as pregnancy done the traditional way. So it wasn't a guarantee.

Sukara was sat at the table doing some work, Voya across from her doing her homework. Voya's work of colouring in looking a lot more fun than lesson planning though, so Sukara kept looking up to see how she was getting on.

As they sat, Kuvira came home a little late. She put down the things in her hands and came over to the table.

"Hey," she said, putting her hands on Sukara's shoulders as she reached her, "Hey turtleduck, what are you up to?"

Voya smiled and held up her colouring sheet for a moment to show her and then went back to it. Very focused on keeping it neat.

"Are you alright?" Sukara asked, sitting back and looking up at her wife, "was there traffic or something?"

"No, I was sick at work so Asami took me to the doctor," Kuvira told her, barely containing her smile.

"Oh, are you sick?" Sukara asked, not noting any of the tells. Reaching up, she felt Kuvira's forehead, but she was fine, "was it the sea prunes?"

"No, I'm okay," Kuvira said, hoping that she'd catch on soon.

"Then what was it?" Sukara asked, turning in her chair to face her, "did the doctor say?"

"They did," Kuvira smiled down at Sukara's confused face.

"Well?"

"Sukara," Kuvira sighed, sitting in the chair next to her, "my love, my angel--"

"What?"

"--what have we been doing recently?" Kuvira asked, taking Sukara's face in her hands. Sukara frowned as she thought about it, "something important, something that we've been doing together."

"The new wardrobe?" Sukara looked utterly confused, nothing seemed to come to mind.

"The baby Momma," Voya said, finally looking up from her colouring.

"Spirits, you need to get better at this," Kuvira sighed, looking back at Sukara who now had a wide smile and her hands on Kuvira's waist, "even the kid knows more about it than you do."

"Are you serious?" Sukara beamed glancing between Kuvira's eyes and her stomach.

"Yes, I'm serious," Kuvira smiled, as Sukara bent down and rested her head on her chest and hugged Kuvira round the waist, "I'm pregnant."

Sukara let herself sit there with Kuvira's arms around her shoulders until she felt Voya's hands on her leg. She sat up and lifted their daughter up onto her lap.

"I love you," Sukara smiled, leaning in and kissing her wife.

"I love you too," Kuvira smiled back, stroking the top of Voya's head with one hand and resting the other on Sukara's waist.

Kuvira sat watching the smile on Sukara's face, and thinking, about how two people who didn't have the best examples of family, had done pretty well for themselves just going off of what not to do. She was so proud of she had. Of what they had together.