Bionic woman - Part 3

"I'm so sorry. I never do this. Opening up my world to a complete stranger." (Y/n) sniffed, as she took her head from Arthur's shoulder and used her shirt sleeve to wipe the tears from her eyes.

"I'm never normally like this. I've always prided myself on being so strong, able to cope with anything. But I suppose that even the strongest people can only take so much." (Y/n) continued, as she placed her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands.

"You know once, Harry told me about losing some friends while they were in France. He said that when he found out, he dropped to his knees in the middle of the forest that his platoon was in and cried like a baby. That and the death of my grandmother, are the only times I even heard the old man admit to letting his emotions get the better of him. But I suppose that when you are behind enemy lines, getting shot at by anything that moves, the loss of friends that you had known since you were young, is the last straw. I guess that losing that crazy old guy was just my last straw." (Y/n) explained, as she finally raised her head to look at Arthur.

"Thank you, Arthur. I mean it. It's no wonder that Harry liked you. He always was a good judge of character." (Y/n) continued, as she leaned over and kissed Arthur on the cheek. Arthur not quite sure how he should react but knowing that he probably shouldn't pull her back into his arms and hold her tight, like he wanted to.

"You know what? I was just going to come in here and clean this place out. But now I think that I will hang around for a few days. Harry deserves so much more than just having me throw his things into boxes. He deserves the same respect in death as I gave him in life. And........well he did ask me to look after you. So, maybe you and I can look after one another while we both come to terms with losing Harry." (Y/n) said. Finding herself smiling, as the man next to her began to blush.

"I........I'd like. I mean....I think that Harry would like that." Arthur replied, as he watched (Y/n) get to her feet and remove her coat. Rolling up her sleeves as she looked around the apartment.

"Well, I don't know about you Arthur, but it a little early in the day for me to start on Harry's scotch. So, why don't you go to the nearest store, and get us some supplies, while I start cleaning and sorting. And once you get back, you can tell me all about yourself." (Y/n) told him, as she reached into her pocket, and handed him a twenty dollar note.

"You know the kind of thing. Coffee, tea, milk, sugar. Anything like that. I need a caffeine hit before I get into all this properly." (Y/n) chuckled, as she happily pushed Arthur towards the door.

"And don't be too long. We have lots to do." (Y/n) continued, Arthur turning and giving the ex-soldier a small salute before making his way to the elevator.

(Y/n) closed the door. Looking around the apartment and picking up one of the old pictures before she took a seat back in the old man's chair.

"Harry, why do you do these things to me?" (Y/n) asked the photo, as she looked between it, and the door through which Arthur had left.

"I mean, he seems sweet and all, but he reminds me of one of those tiny shaking chihuahuas. He looks like he's gonna have a heart attack every time he talks to me. I know that you always wanted the best for me, but really? Do you think that he's what I need? And there is no guaranteeing that he likes me. I mean look at me, I'm not even a whole woman anymore." (Y/n) sighed, as she smiled sadly at the photo of the old man.

Harry had always joked that he would find her the perfect man one day. He had continually disapproved of any boyfriend she had ever had, stating that not a single one of them was good enough for her. He had said that she had deserved only the best, and whether she believed it or not, one day he be the catalyst to bring her and her ideal man together.

"Look. I'll stay for a few days. I'll get to know him. But don't go getting your hopes up. You may have thought that he was the perfect man for me, but that doesn't mean that poor Arthur will think that I am the perfect woman for him." (Y/n) told the picture. Sure, that she could hear the voice of the old man chuckling in her ear.

                                                            >>------------------------------<<

Arthur walked down the street. A song in his heart and his head in the clouds as he wound his way to the store. (Y/n) was actually here. The object of his affection was in her grandfather's apartment, saying that she would stay a few days, that she wanted to get to know him better. She had kissed him on the cheek, cried into his shoulder. Thanked him for being there for her.

Arthur had listened to everything Harry had ever told him about (Y/n). He had memorised every photo. Knew every line, and subtle mark on her skin. Harry's stories had brought him so close to (Y/n), and despite the fact that the two had never met, Arthur felt as though he knew her. Felt as though he loved her. And now he had a chance to try and make her love him too.

Absentmindedly, Arthur wandered through the store. Placing things in his basket as he went. His thoughts going back to conversation that he and Harry had about (Y/n). One day, when Arthur had popped in to see the old man, Harry had told him, out of the blue, that he thought he would be perfect for (Y/n). That especially since she had lost her limb, she needed a good, and caring man in her life, more than ever before. That he saw Arthur like a son, and that despite what Arthur thought about his condition, and indeed himself, Harry had assured him, that he and (Y/n) were made for one another. The two young people in his life, both deserving love. Love that they had never been lucky enough to find.

"That will be twelve dollars, and sixty cents, please." A voice suddenly said, the young woman at the checkout glaring at Arthur as he stared off into space.

"What? Oh......yeah, er sorry.........." Arthur spluttered out, scrambling around in his pocket for the bill that (Y/n) had given him, as he finally realising that he was stood at the register, and that his items had already been bagged.

Picking up the brown paper bag, Arthur made his way back out onto the street. The day suddenly seeming brighter as he made his way back home. This time he wasn't going to let himself spoil the opportunity that had fallen into his lap. He wasn't going to let (Y/n) get away without knowing whether Harry was right, and that they were meant for one another. This time he was going to do all he could to find out if he actually had a chance at love.