Prestidigitation - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

"Guess what?" A voice suddenly asked. Arthur nearly jumping out of his skin, before turning to see a smiling (Y/n) take a seat next to him. He was sure that she hadn't just appeared in a puff of smoke. That she must have physically come up behind him and he just hadn't noticed her reflection in the larger mirror in front of him, as he absentmindedly covered his face in makeup.

In truth he wasn't surprised that he hadn't noticed her, because he had been too busy thinking about her. About the beautiful magician, and the Joker cards that were still in the inside pocket of his old jacket. He had been thinking about her taking his hand, as she volunteered him for her trick. Thinking about her smile, and the devilish twinkle in her bright eyes. About the possibility that they could soon be working side by side. That he could see her every day. That one day, he might even be able to summon up the courage to ask her out for a coffee. Though he still did have that familiar mocking voice in the back of his mind that would always tell him that he was loser. That he would always be a loser and a freak. That a beautiful woman like (Y/n) would never want to go out with him. Would laugh in his face if he was ever bold enough to even mention them seeing one another outside of work. So, he doubted that he ever would. But seeing that smile again. See those exquisite, impish eyes. Was giving him a little hope back.

"Er........what?" Arthur managed to finally reply, as he steadied his wildly pounding heart.

"She got the job......................"

"Gary! I wanted to tell him." (Y/n) scolded, as Gary came to join them. The little man grinning at her.

"Sorry sweetheart. I couldn't resist.............."

"Well try in future. You ruined my news." (Y/n) continued. Arthur finding himself chuckling at the strange pair. The duo sounding like squabbling siblings.

"So, as the little big mouth just said, I got the job. Looks like I'll be seeing a lot more of you Arthur. Maybe you might even agree to being my handsome assistant. I always liked the idea of suave and sophisticated man in a tuxedo, by my side. That, and I always wanted to saw someone in half." (Y/n) giggled, as a bright red glow came to Arthur's cheeks. The clown very sure that he had never been told he was handsome by a beautiful woman before. And though not averse to being able to assist the magician, he wasn't too sure about the idea of being sawn in half.

"Hey! I could be your handsome assistant. You could saw me in half............"

"Gary, if I sawed you in half, people wouldn't be able to see you.........." (Y/n) retorted. She and Gary laughing at the comment. Arthur not really sure if he should laugh too.

"Anyway. Even though I would prefer to spend the rest of the day with you two lovely gentlemen, I seriously need to get the rest of my things moved into this new apartment of mine. Franco has sent all my props from the circus, so I need to be there when they arrive, or the movers will probably just dump them on the stoop. But I will see you on Saturday.............."

"Saturday..........?" Arthur interjected, as he turned to look at her.

"Yeah, it's her first job. You, me and (Y/n) at that big kid's day at the zoo. Hoyt said that she will drum up more interest in all the services that we offer........."

"Do you always have to steal my thunder? I swear that you are the biggest killjoy there is. Is there anything else that you want to tell Arthur, that I really should be telling him..............?

"Hmmmmm, nope. I think that's it.................."

"And what Hoyt actually said, was that if I flashed a little leg, I might get all the dads interested. That they might think of me when their kids' birthdays rolled around. But I chose to ignore that.................."

"He does have a point though. I've seen your legs (Y/n), and I know that I will definitely never forget them." Gary interjected. The little man dodging the makeup brush that (Y/n) had grabbed from Arthur's table, and then thrown at him.

"I swear that one day I am going to make you disappear, Gary. And you'll stay disappeared........" (Y/n) retorted. Shaking her head, as the little man blew her a kiss.

"Right. I will see you two on Saturday. Don't do anything I wouldn't." The magician added, as she gave the two men a smile and turned to make her way to the door.

"Do...........do you want your cards back..........?" Arthur blurted out, as he reached for his jacket and fumbled for the cards.

"No, that's okay Arthur. But I'll tell you what. You keep the one in your pocket, and I...........I will keep this one." (Y/n) replied, as with a flourish a Joker card suddenly appeared between her fingers. Arthur pushing his hand in his pocket, to find that only one card was left.

"How did you....................?"

"Magic, Arthur. Magic. And you keep my little Joker. You never know when you might need one." The magician explained. The card in her hand disappearing as quickly as it had appeared. (Y/n) giving him a small goodbye wave, before she herself vanished through the door.

"Wonderful, isn't she?" Gary chuckled, as the door closed. Arthur finding himself unable to argue with his friend's comment.

"Er.......yeah. She seems really nice............."

"Nice? The smell of fresh cut grass is nice, Arthur. A cool glass of water on a hot day, is nice. (Y/n) is wonderful. And she likes you............."

"She............she likes me? What makes you say that?" Arthur blurted out. The blue eye paint on his brush streaking down his cheek, as he spun around in his chair.

"I've known (Y/n) for years, and she's always had a thing for Joker cards. I have do idea why, but she has a collection of really old ones that she loves. And I have never seen her give one to someone else. She won't even give one to me. So, to let you have one, must mean that she likes you." Gary explained. Grinning as he saw Arthur's wide eyes and the paint smeared down his cheek.

"Now, I better get ready, before Hoyt comes in." The little man added. Giving Arthur a pat on the arm, before making his way over to his make up mirror. Leaving Arthur to stare at the door and wonder what Saturday could bring. Wonder if the beautiful magician really could be interested in a joker like him.