Roses - Joker x Reader

For SmilingDiana, Suji, and Rachael.

Why is it that a single flower can say so much? Every emotion, from love to sorrow and regret, can all be expressed in one perfect bloom. Whether they are the brightest red, or the purest white; a rose seems to be able to speak louder than any other. And can even say things we can't.

"Do you think that she'll like them?" Joker asked quietly, as he looked between the beautiful blooms in his hands and the exquisite woman in front of him.

"I am sure that she would love them. And I know that no matter what you might think, my love, that she would be proud of the man that you have become. That her brother is the clown prince of Gotham. So, stop being nervous. Now, let's get you there, before you change your mind." (Y/n) replied, as she took him by the arm and led him out of the Mansion that she and Joker had called home since the clown had brought Gotham to its knees.

When he had discovered about his adoption by Peggy Fleck, Joker had also found that he had a sister, a sister that had passed away in their youth. A sister that he would give anything to remember. But no matter what he did, no matter how much he tried, his mind had deleted the unpleasant memory of their separation. The clown prince unable to recall even the slightest image of her.

For so long, Joker had put this off. Put it to the back of his mind. But now, now he knew that he couldn't put it off any longer. He had to do this. Wanted to do this. To pay respects to the girl that been his only true family. And despite how much stronger he was now as Joker; he knew that he couldn't do it unless (Y/n) was by his side.

Joker had first met (Y/n) when he been the simple, and boring, walking doormat, Arthur Fleck. She had been the girl down the hall. The only one that seemed to have any time for him. The only one that wasn't embarrassed or scared by his laugh. The only one that was there when he needed someone. Joker recalling how he would slip out of his apartment when Peggy had fallen asleep, and make his way to (Y/n)'s. Their time together, not only the highlight of his day, but the highlight of his life. One evening, he had found himself dancing and laughing with her into the small hours of the night, as the rest of the apartment building and Gotham, slept. And on that long night, he had found himself telling her everything. About his life. About his work. About his hopes and dreams. And, he had told her about his mother. (Y/n) always listening patiently. Smiling and nodding when he needed her to and taking his hand when he had been fighting back the tears.

Even then, she had told him that she believed in him. That he was meant for something more than just that terrible old apartment building and his simple life. That if he wanted, she would always be there for him. To help him in any way that he needed. And when he had become Joker. When he had brought Gotham to its knees, she had been by his side. His ever constant companion. The woman that he loved.

When he had spoken to (Y/n) about his sister, she had told him that he should go and find her and talk to her. A notion that Joker had dismissed as a little crazy, given that he had no idea what had happened to her. And even if he had, talking to a headstone, or a plaque, was a strange notion. But (Y/n) had insisted. Telling him that she would help him. That while he ruled over the city, she would find his sister and together they could go and pay their respects. So, here they were, heading out of their home, to make the trip to the cemetery. Joker feeling ever so slightly.......well, ever so slightly scared.

(Y/n) had done everything she had promised him, and more. Using all her available resources to finally locate where his sister had been laid to rest. (Y/n) finally able to tell him that his sister had been interred in the cemetery next to the children's home in which she had died. That unfortunately, she had been buried with little ceremony and no headstone. But that, with a few words in the right ears, a beautiful white marble headstone now showed where his sister rested.

"I hope you like the headstone, my love. I know I should have asked you about the wording, but you were busy with one of your meetings. And the stonemasons needed to know. So, as could imagine that she would have been as wonderful as you, I sort of gave them what I thought would be right." (Y/n) told him, almost apologetically, as the driver took the king and queen of Gotham the short distance to the cemetery. Joker watching as his mask wearing followers and burnt out cars, flew by outside the window.

"I trust you, (Y/n). Whatever you told them, I'm sure that its perfect." Joker assured absentmindedly. His eyes suddenly turning from the outside world to the woman next to him, as he felt her take his hand.

"Are you sure that you want me to come with you? I mean, wouldn't you prefer to talk to her on your own?" (Y/n) asked. The beauty by his side, smiling as she felt Joker tighten his grip on her hand. Her other hand reaching up and combing delicately through his green hair.

"No. I think that its only right that you come with me. Plus, I want her to meet you. You've done more for my sister than I was ever able to." Joker replied, the rock that had been sitting in the pit of his stomach now turning into a boulder, as the car pulled up to the gates of the cemetery.

Joker hadn't felt this weak or vulnerable since he was Arthur. Since he had been the punching bag for every brainless thug and bully in the city. And it was a feeling that he had to admit that he didn't like. A feeling that he had never wanted to experience again. He had no idea what his sister would have thought of him, as Arthur or Joker. What she would have said about his choses in life. About the people he had killed and why he had done it. Yet (Y/n) had always assured him, that she was sure, that just like her, his sister would have been able to see the bigger picture. Would have been able to see the truth behind the lies. Would have appreciated that he had been pushed to beyond his limits and had nowhere else to go.

"You know that's not true. Stop thinking that. You've done more for your sister than you know. Now, let's go and see her." (Y/n) replied, as the car pulled into the small car park. The driver opening the door for the reluctant clown. Joker gripping at the bunch of roses in his hands like his life depended on it, as (Y/n) led him to the grave site.

"Here she is." (Y/n) told him, as they stood before the large piece of white marble. Joker reading the words that (Y/n) had chosen. Words that said more than he ever could.

Here Lies

Abigail

Beloved sister of

A simple clown

A child lost, but now found.

We will never forget you.

"It.....its perfect, (Y/n). Thank you." Joker sniffed. Wiping his eyes on his shirt sleeve. His face paint smearing over his cuff and jacket.

"I thought that she deserved it. And I'm so glad you like it. But you need to talk to her." (Y/n) almost whispered as she moved to Joker's side. Her hand slipping into his as they both looked at the glistening piece of marble.

"Er......Hi Abigail. It.......its me, Jok......Arth.....your brother. I know, hard to believe, huh? How are you related to something as ugly as me?" Joker chuckled, as he lay the roses on the grave.

"Oh. I'd like you to meet......this is (Y/n). She's the one that got you the stone. I thought that you would like to meet her, cos she's the girl I love. Well, what I mean is......she's the woman I want to marry. I just haven't asked her yet. I just hoped........" Joker said, as he looked between the stone and (Y/n). The clown prince not caring that this may not be the time. Not caring that his rule over the city could come to an end at any moment, and that he could spend the rest of his days rotting in Arkham. Only caring that he never believed that he would ever get the chance to ask someone to be his bride, never mind someone as wonderful as (Y/n). And now that the two most important women in his life had finally met, he wanted to make (Y/n) truly his, so that he could be happy with whatever time he had left.

"Hello, Abigail. It's a pleasure to finally meet you. And yes, I would love to marry your brother." (Y/n) added, as she kissed Joker gently on the cheek. A big smile coming to his lips as he and (Y/n) continued to talk. Both of them telling his sister about what had happened since they had been parted. Joker pulling a single rose out from the spray and handing it to (Y/n). The perfect bloom telling her all that she needed to know or would ever need to know, about how Joker felt for her.