Open and shut case - Part 20 - Joker x Reader

(Y/n) had cursed at herself for not noticing it sooner. The lawyer not sure how she had been so blind. She had sat there and watched the entire segment that Joker had taken up on the Franklin show. From the moment that he had danced out from behind the curtains, to the moment that he had stood in front of the camera and looked into it. The words "Good night. And always remember that's........." before he was cut off and the test card appeared. She was quite taken aback by the new realisation. By what it meant. If her suppositions were right, it would have meant that she would never have got to meet him. And that had made her heart break. (Y/n) not sure what to make of that. But sure, that she needed to talk to Arthur about it.

Quickly, she got out of the car, grabbing the box of photos and her briefcase before making her way into the hospital. A hospital that she was becoming accustomed to now. The screams and cries of the other patients. The sight of them shacked with heavy leather cuffs to their beds, or when they were being escorted, was beginning to lose its shock value. The attorney sure that by the time that she had finished with the case, all this craziness would be as normal to her, as her morning cup of coffee.

"Fleck." (Y/n) announced, as she walked up to the desk and signed in.

"She spends more time here than we do. I think that there's more going on in that room than just an interview. Fleck finally might be getting some......." A voice said softly. Her eyes flying up as she heard the comment, and a chuckle from the man's co-workers.

"Do you want to say that to my face..................?" (Y/n) enquired as calmly as she could, as she glared at the now sheepish looking orderly.

"No..............? Why am I not surprised. But spineless assholes like you never do, do they? You are quite happy to make lewd comments under your breath to your friends. Probably makes you feel big, doesn't it, talking behind people's backs? But when it comes to actually saying it out loud so that the person can face you, you become the pathetic coward that you really are. And not that its any of your business, but I will keep coming here for as long as it takes me to win this case. So, I would like to see my client.............NOW!" She continued. Doing her best to remain calm. (Y/n) knowing that jumping over the counter and punching the guy in the face, wouldn't be seen as very professional. Giving the man one last glare, before an older man came out and gestured for her to follow him.

                                                               >>---------------------------------<<

Joker smiled broadly, as he waited for (Y/n) to arrive. He had been so happy since talking to her on the phone yesterday. So happy to know that she was still going to be coming to see him. That she would still be working with him. The thought of her not coming back had made him feel all kind of ways, and none of them good. So now, now he couldn't wait to see her. To have her sat in front of him, just so that he knew it was true.

Suddenly, he heard a jangle of keys in the lock. The clown sitting up straighter in his chair. His smile falling from his lips as he saw the strange look on his beautiful attorney's face. Joker not sure what to think, as she took a seat across from him. The pair waiting for the guard to leave before saying anything.

"(Y/n)..............?" Joker began, as he reached across the table and took her hand. His heart beating a little quicker, as he felt her fingers tighten around his. As her eyes looking deep into his.

"You weren't Arthur when you went to the Murray show. Your transformation was nearly complete. That's why you asked them to introduce you as Joker. But even that said, I think that you had every intention of killing yourself in front of everyone, not Franklin. Your last victim was going to be Arthur Fleck, wasn't it? The man that you think is weak and pathetic. A man that allowed himself to be mistreated and abused. A man that never stood up for himself, and just took it like a good little boy. But the more Franklin spoke, the more he pushed you. Pushed you further and further away from being the man that was constantly overlooked and ignored, to being Joker. The man that had no intention of being ignored. That was going to make sure that the whole city knew his name. I saw it when I watched the footage again last night. The moment..........the moment the tears formed in your eyes. The moment that Arthur Fleck finally broke and allowed Joker to take over completely. The moment you chose to shoot Franklin and not yourself. Joker went to that show to be seen. To show everyone that he wouldn't go unnoticed. But Murray took control, and you couldn't have that. Joker couldn't have that. He forced you to act. Murray's comments made you shoot him. He pushed you to the edge, and then tipped you over it. One way or another you were going to use that gun. You wouldn't have taken a loaded weapon with you if you hadn't had the intention of using it. You never wanted to be silenced again, did you? And now, even if we lose and you go to the chair, you.........Joker, will still win. Because for good or bad, right or wrong. Everyone will remember you now. Everyone will remember Joker............." (Y/n) interrupted. Not noticing the tears that were slowly making their way down her cheeks.

"It's wrong for me to say this.............but.........but I'm glad that it was Franklin that you killed and not Arthur. Because..........because I like Arthur, and I am glad that I have met him. And no matter what Joker thinks, he's worth keeping alive. He's worth fighting for. And that is why I am here. The trip to the apartment just made me like him all the more. Made me see that perhaps this isn't the worst place that he's ever been. That he deserved so much more............." The attorney continued. Watching as the killer clown's eyes dropped to look at the table. The pair sitting there in complete silence for a moment, before Joker slowly got to his feet and made his way over to her side of the table. The clown helping her to her feet and pulling her into his arms. Two words leaving his lips, as he held her tight.

"Thank you........................."