A little shopping trip - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

Arthur looked down at the piece of paper in disbelief. He couldn't believe that a woman. An actual real live, breathing woman had just given him her phone number out of the blue. Him. Of all people. Him. Arthur Fleck. A beautiful, intelligent, and brave woman had just given him her phone number and told him to call her. Told him that she wanted to take him to dinner. Him. To dinner.

Arthur discreetly pinched himself. The sudden sting of pain not appearing to wake him up from any kind of dream. And the bump on the back of his head was still there, so maybe, just maybe, all this was actually real, and he wasn't losing his mind. Her touch had certainly felt real. The warmth of her skin against his, had made his heart beat just that ever so slightly quicker. And as she had looked into his eyes, he had felt a heated blush spread from his neck, all the way up his face. Yet, this was him. Wonderful things, wonderful women, didn't happen to him. But the piece of paper most definitely had a number on it. And she had told him to phone her. Definitely told him to phone her.

Suddenly a smile spread to his lips as he realised that there was actually a woman in this godforsaken city, that seemed to like him. HIM! And they had barely even spoken. So now, all he had to do was pluck up the courage to actually phone her. And then not mess it up.

Looking down at the few paltry items in his basket, Arthur hoped that (Y/n) didn't think that he was a bit strange. A bit of a loser. But no, he reasoned with himself. She had handed the items back to him, and still been happy to give him her number. And as he made his way to the cashier, Arthur dared to believe that for once, things might actually be going right for him.

                                                      >>--------------------------------<<

(Y/n) and Dane made their way to the department's pickup. (Y/n) not sure how they were going to fit everything in. But with Dane's reassurance that he was a Tetris champion, she had left the unloading of the shopping cart to him. Her mind drifting to the nervous man that she had just met. In her world, men were not nervous and quiet. They were tough, rough, and loud. Most of the guys she worked with, she had to admit, were a little crazy. But when your job is to rush into a burning building, when everyone else is running out. You have to be a little crazy. And as she did the same thing, she was probably as crazy as they were. So, this Arthur. This nervous and quiet man was in a strange way, a breath of fresh air. A calm in a storm. And for some odd, peculiar reason, she had hated to see the sadness behind his beautiful eyes. It was a sadness like she had seen in the eyes of people that had lost everything in a fire. A look of loss. A look of despair. And it was that look, that (Y/n) had always found the hardest part of the job. And it was that look she wanted to remove from Arthur's eyes.

But would he actually call her? They had only just met, and out of the blue she had just given him her phone number. And even though his heartbeat had quicken when she was close to him, that didn't necessarily mean that he was interested in her. Maybe his heart rate had only quickened because she had just hit him with a shopping cart, and he was afraid what else she might do to him. Maybe.........

"Hey, (Y/n)." Dane called out. Suddenly bringing her back from her thoughts.

"Er.....yeah. What's wrong?" (Y/n) called back. Hoping that the big man hadn't suddenly realised that they had forgotten something important.

"Ain't that your friend over there. With that group of guys? Looks like he's in a bit of trouble if ya ask me." Dane said. (Y/n) following his finger. Her eyes growing wide as she looked and saw a group of unpleasant looking men surround Arthur. One of them pushing him to the ground.

"Stay here." (Y/n) shouted to Dane, as she threw open the door to the pickup, and ran at full speed to where the men were now all almost on top of Arthur.

                                                          >>-------------------------------<<

Arthur made his way out of the store. For once there was a smile on his face. There was a song in his heart, and his head was in the clouds. The clown almost skipping through the car park of the store, as he tried to think of what he would say to (Y/n) when he phoned her.

"Well, well, well. If it ain't tha freak. Look boys. It's that pathetic clown." A mocking voice called out. Arthur stopping in his tracks as a group of men, that he was sure that he had had trouble with before, came up to him.

"Where's ya red nose? Freak. I thought that ya wore that stupid costume of yours, all tha time. I thought ya looked dumb enough in it. But now, ya just look pathetic." The obvious ringleader of the small group scoffed disdainfully. The heavy set man pushing Arthur backwards, causing him to fall. Arthur trying to shield himself as he waited for the inevitable kicks and punches.

"HEY! ASSHOLES!" A voice cried out. Arthur peering through the arms that he had just wrapped around his head. Hoping to shield it from the oncoming onslaught. His eyes growing wide as he saw (Y/n) race up to the group of men that had now turned to look at what was coming. Arthur unable to believe what the female firefighter was doing.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size, loser. Or are you too afraid to actually confront someone that might actually fight back?" (Y/n) growled, as she came up to stand in front of the ringleader. Arthur still not able to believe that she had rushed to his defence. The still cowering clown not sure whether she was exceptionally brave, or exceptionally crazy.

"And who might you be? Don't tell me that tha freak has a girlfriend? Boy, sweetheart. Ya really must be desperate, if ya having anything ta do with this clown. If ya like. I can show ya what it's like ta be with a real man." The man replied. (Y/n) slapping his hand out of the way as he tried to touch her face.

"You try and touch me again; you sack of shit. Not only will I break every bone in your hand. I'll also ensure that you're singing soprano for the rest of your life. Now, why don't you and your little boy band here, just do us all a favour. And fuck off." (Y/n) hissed. Determined not to back down, in the face of the sneering coward.

"Is that right? Well, if ya ask me, ya look out numbered, sweetheart. And I'm pretty sure that I ain't scared of you."

"You might not be scared of her. But how about me?" A voice came. (Y/n) smiling as she sensed that a huge firefighter had just joined her. An even bigger smile growing across her lips as the men began to back away.

"Why don't ya check your friend while I take care of this asshole." Dane told her. The giant of a man growling menacingly at the ringleader, before he turned and suddenly bolted.

"Arthur. Are you ok?" (Y/n) asked as she knelt next to him. Arthur looking between her, the big man that now seemed to be guarding the pair, and the last of the group as they disappeared down the street. Not quite sure what to do or say, as his hero smiled at him.

"Dane. Will you get my med bag from the pickup?" (Y/n) said, as she looked a still shock, bemused, and befuddled Arthur up and down. The female firefighter noticing a few scuffs on his face and hands.

"Well Arthur. I'm gonna have to check you over again. And it looks like you might owe me dinner, as much as I owe you." (Y/n) chuckled as she took Arthur's face in her hands. Hoping that the thugs hadn't caused too much damage to the quiet man, before she was able to come to his rescue.