A little bit of magic - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

For SmilingDiana. Thank you for my Great Pretender.

Arthur didn't know whether to be surprised or shocked, as he made his way behind the heavy curtain. The large room that he had just entered was in complete contrast to the store in which he had just been sat. The shop was loud. Chaotic. Bright. Everything in it fighting for his attention. Like each and every object had a voice of its own, and each voice was shouting. Each voice trying to be heard above the rest, as they vied for him to take notice. But here in the back, it was warm and calm. The shelf lined walls, filled with books and little keepsakes that were dotted here and there. A small fire crackling happily in the fireplace, and the smell of something wonderful and fresh filled his senses. Arthur finding himself closing his eyes and humming happily, as the delicious aroma seemed to surround him.

"Hey!"

Arthur's eyes flew open, to see (Y/n) smiling at his, as she poked her head around a door. Arthur never even noticing that she had vanished into yet another room. The clown quite sure that she must have used some kind of magic trick, to make herself disappear and then reappear so quickly.

"Are you hungry? I have some freshly made butternut squash soup and warm bread that I have just taken out of the oven, going begging. I always make to much. Still haven't got the hang of cooking for just one person. And I don't mean to rude or nothing, Arthur, but you do look like you could use a good hot meal, or three." (Y/n) chuckled, as she looked him up and down.

"You know, you look like you're missing out on the love of a good woman, Arthur. Well, that's what my grandmother would say whenever she saw some man that looked, in her opinion anyway, far too thin. Not that I'm saying that you haven't got a good woman in your life, its just well, I think the old girl just believed that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach. And if a man was too thin, then as far as she was concerned, he wasn't being looked after. But I suppose that is a very old fashioned thing to say. Though she was old fashioned. Oh jeez, will you listen to me? I'm rambling on like a complete idiot. You'll have to excuse me; I'm just not used to having visitors that aren't customers." (Y/n) explained. Finding herself blushing slightly, as she found herself looking into the clown's eyes. Eyes that seemed to sparkle brighter than an crystal in her store.

"What I should have said was, I would like it if you would join me. It would be nice to have some company. And you could use a little more time to get over that beating you took. But if you need to get back to work, then I'll just give you something to help with all the cuts and bruises, and you can be on your way. I'm sure.................."

"No, no. I'd like something to eat. If that's ok?" Arthur interrupted. Feeling his own cheeks heat up, as (Y/n) smiled back at him. Her face seeming to light up the room at the idea of him agreeing to stay.

"Oh......great. Erm.......just come through and take a seat. I'll just get you a bowl of soup." (Y/n) grinned, gesturing for him to follow her. Arthur making his way into the small kitchen and taking a seat at the little table in the corner of the room.

Normally he wouldn't be hungry. Normally he would just get back to work, fearing the wrath of the shop owner and Hoyt if they found out that he hadn't been doing his job. But the smell of fresh food. Real food, that had been made with love and care, was making his empty stomach grumble and groan more than usual. The idea of hot soup and warm bread sounding much better than his typical afternoon repast of a cigarette and coffee. If he was lucky.

"There you go." (Y/n) said, as she placed a large bowl of wonderfully orange soup in front of him. Arthur sure that he had never seen food that looked so bright before. Food in his experience, always seeming to be brown and flavourless. Dreary and unpalatable.

"Here's the bread. If you would just slice it for me, that would be great. And I have butter if you want. Just watch you don't burn yourself. It really is just out of the oven." (Y/n) chuckled, as she turned back to the cooker to fill her own bowl.

Arthur couldn't help but feel strangely at home, as he picked up the large bread knife and began cutting the warm loaf. This was what he had always hoped for. This little scene that was now acting out in front of him. A small home that was warm and welcoming. A home that was just perfect for two. A home where he could feel safe. A home that he would want to return to after a long day. But most of all, a home within which there was a girl that he could call his own. A girl that would love him just as much as he loved her. A girl that wouldn't be scared of his condition. A girl.............

"I didn't think it was that bad." (Y/n) chuckled, as she took a seat in the chair across from him. Laughing at the far away look in Arthur's eyes.

"What........? Er, no..........I haven't.....I was just............."

"It's ok, Arthur. I was only joking. I don't even think that my terrible cooking could stupefy someone that quickly." (Y/n) continued, as she took a spoonful of soup from her own bowl. Smiling, as Arthur quickly picked up a thick slice of the loaf and dipped it in his lunch. A happy moan coming from deep inside him, as the warm liquid and fresh bread made their way down into his belly.

"Good?" (Y/n) enquired.

"Good? I don't think that I've ever tasted anything like it." Arthur replied. Completely forgetting himself and pushing more of the bread into his mouth.

"Wow, you mustn't get out that much, Arthur. If you think that's good, you should stay for dinner sometime. I can work wonders with a few potatoes and some vegetables. I don't really get to cook as much as I would like these days. Seems a lot of hassle for just me." (Y/n) told him. Her smile growing even broader, as she watched him pick up his spoon. The soup in his bowl seeming to disappear as if by magic.

"Why not? I mean......did you used to have someone to cook for?" Arthur enquired. Once again forgetting his usual shyness, as he reached for more bread.

"I.........sorry.........I didn't mean to pry. I shouldn't................" Arthur continued. Apologising as he finally realised what he had just asked.

"Nothing to be sorry for, Arthur. I did used to have someone to cook for, yes. But that was a while ago now. Now, I just do it for myself, if I can be bothered that is. As I said, it seems like a lot of work for just myself." (Y/n) explained, with a heavy sigh. Arthur noticing that a sudden sadness had taken over her beautiful features. The clown finding that despite knowing that he probably shouldn't push any further, he needed to know what could make her suddenly so sad.

"What happened. To the person that you used to cook for...........?"

"Oh, you know. Life just has a terrible way of kicking you in the teeth when you least expect it. The only thing that you can do, is thumb your nose, and try and smile with what little teeth you have left. Now, less talk about me. I'm far too boring. Why don't you tell me all about yourself? I want to know what would make someone become a clown. And then, why you would be silly enough to chase after those kids." (Y/n) told him. Her smile returning, as she got to her feet and took the now empty bowl from in front of Arthur. Making her way back over to the stove so that she could refill it. The clown tucking into the second bowl, as happily as he had sone the first. His whole of his life spilling from his lips between mouthfuls of food.