Loveable goofball - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

"So..........." (Y/n) began, not quite knowing what else to say.

"So..........." Arthur replied. He too not sure what to say to the beautiful woman that was now sat across from him.

"So, your Arthur, huh? Rita tells me that you've been coming in here for a while." (Y/n) continued, hoping that that would get the quiet man to open up a little more.

"Er, yeah. But I've never seen you before. Have you just started here.......(Y/n)?" Arthur managed to ask. Furrowing his brows as she began to giggle.

"No. I've actually been working her for about a year or so. Rita said that you always seem to come in when I'm not here. If I didn't know better, I'd say that you were avoiding me, Arthur." (Y/n) said. Blushing a little as Arthur looked at her. The true extent of his beautiful eyes being revealed, as the afternoon sun that was steaming through the large windows, hit the emerald like orbs.

If Arthur had known that something as beautiful as this had been working in the diner, he would have been there at every opportunity he had. He would drink coffee after coffee. Tea after tea. He would order food that he knew that he would never eat, just so that he had an excuse to stay in the small eatery and just watch the lovely waitress go about her day.

"What........? No, I would never............." Arthur blurted out, as he finally realised what the lovely lady had just said. His cheeks beginning to glow bright red, as he pulled a paper napkin out of the dispenser and began to fiddle with it. Twisting it and wrapping it around his fingers. Bits of it ripping off and falling onto the table, as it mixed with the sweat on his hands.

"I.......I was only kidding. But........if I had known that someone like you came in after I had left, I think I might have managed to find a way to stay around a little longer." (Y/n) replied. Doing her best to reassure the obviously nervous man. Picking up the bits of the torn napkin and placing them into the pocket of her apron.

"Someone like me. What........what do you mean?" Arthur enquired, as his eye flew up to meet those of (Y/n)'s. For a moment not sure whether she wanted to stay so that she could tease him. So that she could laugh at him. So that she could make a fool of him for the way he looked. The way he was, just like so many others in the city did.

"Oh, I mean..........we don't get many handsome younger men in here. Most of the guys I see during the day, seem to be old enough to be my grandpa. Though I must admit that that has never stopped them from getting a little handsy at times. Thought that does tend to stop being an issue after you spill coffee in their crotch a few times. Either that, or "accidentally" drop a full tray of dirty dishes on them, when they pinch you. And don't even start me on the woman. Some of them look so old, that I am sure that they used to get swooped by pterodactyls on their way to school." (Y/n) explained with a laugh, as she looked around the diner. Just to make sure that none of the said men and women were there at that moment.

Arthur couldn't help but smile at her comment. He knew exactly what (Y/n) was talking about. He had seen those women wandering the streets of the city himself. Their hair backcombed and lacquered to such an extent that he was sure that it was better than wearing a crash helmet. Their eyes and lips always seeming to be painted in brighter makeup than he used when he was Carnival. And that they all had the same croaky voice. His mind momentarily filling with images of these old ladies running from some screeching, flying dinosaur, as they waved their overfilled handbags at the swooping creatures. And even though he didn't like the idea that the men would think that it was alright to pinch her. He had to chuckle at the way that she dealt with it. Then suddenly, he realised what else she had said. That she had called him, him, handsome.

"You.........you think I'm........I'm handsome?" Arthur enquired in disbelief.

"Well.......yeah. I mean.........I've always had a thing for men with dark hair. You......you look sweet, and your features are angular yet soft. I like that. And I er........like that scar on your top lip. It gives you character. And don't even start me on those eyes of yours. So, yeah. I do think you're handsome." (Y/n) explained, as she reached forward without thinking, and carefully placed her finger on the mark on his lip. Arthur finding the breath catching in his throat. The clown sure that he had never been touched so tenderly before in his life. That he never wanted the feeling to end. Arthur placing his fingers over hers, as they just continued to stare at one another.

                                                        >>----------------------------------<<

"Are ya gonna take that tea over or not?" Randy asked, as he came out from the kitchen. His brows furrowing, as he looked at his grinning wife.

"What? And ruin this. Not on your life. Look." Rita replied, as she pointed over to the booth where (Y/n) and Arthur sat. The older ladies smile getting broader as she watched (Y/n) place her finger against Arthur's lip. As she watched Arthur place his fingers over hers. Rita choosing to ignore her husband's heavy sigh.

"Ya should leave her alone. It's only been a month that she's been away from that sack of crap, Anthony. She needs some time................"

"And what better way to help her get over that rat, than to introduce her to a gentleman? (Y/n) needs someone that will treat her right, and I have a feeling that Arthur will do just that. And goodness knows that boy looks like he could use some love himself. And who better than (Y/n) to give him that?" Rita interrupted. Placing her chin in the palms of her hands, and sighing contentedly like a dreamy schoolgirl that was watching some great romance scene from a black and white movie, unfold in front of her.

"Don't ya think he's a little......well a little unusual..........?" Randy continued, as watched the two younger people just sit and stare at one another.

"Yeah, maybe. But people used to tell me things like that about you. And if I had listened to them, I wouldn't be here now, would I? So, hush up. I don't want anything ruining this. Not when (Y/n) might have just found her very own goofball." Rita replied, kissing her husband on the cheek before pushing him back into the kitchen. Returning to the counter so that she could see what else may happen between the (Y/n) and Arthur.