Arthur and the Lady in White

Every night he would wait, locked in his cell in Arkham Asylum. He couldn't remember how long he'd been there but for the first time he didn't care, because every night she would come to visit him.

Every night she would lay with him and take him in her arms; there was part of him that knew she wasn't real, knew she wasn't there, but he refused to believe it. He convinced himself that the Lady in white was real, because he needed her to be real.

She would never utter a word, but she would listen; holding him tight she would comb her fingers through his hair as he told her about his day; about the psychiatrists and the doctors and the other patients. Kissing his head, she would always nod at just the right moment so that he knew she understood.

As he waited for her to arrive his eyes fell onto the door of his room, the moonlight illuminating the portal through which she would enter; his heart raced as she appeared walking through the locked door. He sat bolt upright in his bed, his green eyes meeting her golden ones. She moved to the bed and sat down beside him.

'You came.' He sighed happily.

She simply nodded and smiled in reply.

'Please speak to me, I need to know you're real; I need to know that you aren't just a beautiful figment of my warped imagination.' Arthur pleaded.

The lady sighed and her dropped her head.

'Will my voice actually prove to you that I am real? Couldn't that too be a figment of your imagination? Isn't it enough to know that I come to you every night to hold you in my arms, and love you as you truly should be?'

Arthur's face lit up; he knew that he could not imagine a voice so perfect. He moved closer to her, taking her hand in his.

'What are you? Why do you come here?'

She raised her eyes to meet his. 'What do you think I am? What do you want me to be?'

Arthur moved closer still, 'You're my angel, you have to be. You have to be real because I could never imagine something as perfect as you. You have to be real because you show me love like I've never known. You're the only one that has ever truly wanted to be around me, the only one that isn't scared. I know you love me; I can feel it, but why do you? No one else ever has, not my mother, not anyone.'

The Lady watched as a single tear graced his sallow cheek; she brushed it away and Arthur leaned into her touch.

'I do love you Arthur, I have love you since the first moment you were born. You are mine and you always will be.'

Arthur looked into her eyes, 'W.... what d-do you mean, from the moment I was born?'

Arthur stared at her as she took a moment to answer. 'Each human being at birth is given a guardian angel. Guardian angels watch over their humans and guide them along their path, we cannot interfere with their destiny nor can we change it no matter how much we might wish to.' She took a deep breath before she continued.

'I broke the rules; I saw what your life was to be, and I tried to convince others that you should not be allowed to go through it. It was like you were being punished; I did everything in my power to change things for you, you must believe me Arthur. But others saw my pleas as disobedience and my punishment was to be separated from you, and you were given another angel; one that would not question your destiny.'

Arthur shook his head in disbelief, 'Then how are you here now?'

The lady sighed, 'Once they had realised their mistake it was too late; you had become Joker. That was when they gave you back to me, and that is why I visit you every night; you have missed out on so much that I wish to make it up to you. I just hope that you can forgive me Arthur.'

Arthur gently caressed her cheek, 'There is nothing to apologise for, you have already given me more than I deserve, more than I have ever had.'

She stood up from the bed, 'There is something that I can still give you.'

Arthur looked at her, his brows furrowed, 'What?'

His eyes widened as she removed the clasps from her white gown and the material fell to the floor, 'The love of an angel.'

She pulled back the covers on his bed and slipped between the sheets, her head falling back onto the pillow. Her hand brushed the skin of his chest, 'Love me Arthur and I will give you everything I am.'

He hovered over her, caressing her soft skin before leaning down and kissing her lips.

Arthur's eyes opened slowly; his room was cold but that was no surprise, everything in Arkham was cold. He reached over, but there was nothing but an empty bed, the sheets were icy and crisp and spoke nothing of the passion that they had seen the night before between Arthur and his angel. Arthur sat up quickly; a sudden fear ran through his veins. Had last night all been a dream? A warped and twisted delusion? There was nothing that spoke of her presence, no indication that she had been there; but he felt different, he couldn't quite put his finger on it but he felt a warmth, he felt complete. For the first time in his life he felt whole, as if the last piece to his puzzle had slipped into place.

>>-------------------------------<<

He waited in anticipation that night for his lover to arrive, but to his dismay she didn't appear; nor the next night, nor the next.

Arthur waited in his room, Arkham's newest doctor was coming to see him. Just what he needed, another doctor, he thought to himself. He looked down at the table, his hair falling around his face. All he could think of was his angel. Where was she? Had he done something wrong that made her not come back? He felt empty and sick and paid no attention when the door to his room opened and someone sat in the chair opposite him.

'Good morning Arthur, my name is Doctor Angel I'm here to help you.' Arthur's head snapped up, he knew that voice; it was the voice that had whispered words of love into his ears as he had taken her in his arms and loved her only nights ago. His eyes met the face that he knew so well, her smile was bright, and her eyes sparked with their usual golden hue.

Arthur reached out his hand and placed it on top of hers; 'You're here, you're really here.' His voice was quiet, not wanting to alert anyone they may be outside the room.

'I am my love; I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I'm here now and I'm never leaving you again.' Arthur gripped both her hands tightly.

She stood up, leaned across the table and kissed him on the lips. 'Now Arthur, let's get you out of here, I have friends in high places that owe you a favour.'

She moved to him and took him in her arms, 'Are you ready?' She asked. Arthur nodded and held her tight. A white light surrounded the pair and then Joker and his angel were gone.