Nothing between us but the night - Part 4 - Arthur x Reader

Hope that you enjoy this latest instalment. There is more to come. And I would like to thank SmilingDiana for reminding me of the perfect song for this chapter. "The old fashioned way" by Charles Aznavour. I have included some lyrics.

Arthur woke slowly. His eyes reluctant to open as he felt something curled up under his arm. Something warm and soft that he was sure would vanish if he looked at her. He could remember the night before. He could remember how he and (Y/n) had spoken about everything. About how she had been so interested in his life despite how uninteresting it was compared to hers. Yet even though he had not travelled the world like she had. Not seen anything but Gotham. Even though they were poles apart in so many different ways, there seemed to be a connection between the two of them. And (Y/n) had been so attentive and fascinated by all that he had said, that for once Arthur had actually felt important. Felt special. And it was a felling that he was more than happy to admit that he enjoyed.

Cautiously he opened his eyes as he felt (Y/n) move. Her arm wrapping itself around his waist as she moaned quietly in her sleep. He couldn't believe that this was happening to him. This was the kind of thing that happened to other men. The kind of thing that happened in the movies. But most certainly not to him. Most of the time women seemed to run the other way. And when his laugh began, they definitely avoided him like the plague. Yet when he had summoned up the courage to reveal his condition to (Y/n), instead of her pushing him out of the door and slamming it in his face, she had been accepting. Asking him questions about it and wanting to know if there was anything that she could do to help, if he had an episode.

Arthur could truthfully say that he had never met anyone like (Y/n) before. That she really was one of a kind. That her soul was as beautiful as she was.

"Good morning." A soft voice suddenly said. Arthur looking down into (Y/n)'s perfect, yet still sleep filled eyes.

"I am so glad that you could stay. It felt safer having you with me. If those guys had been following me. Knew where I lived, then........ Anyway, thank you for staying. It was so sweet of you." (Y/n) added, as she looked up into Arthur's emerald eyes.

"Er.......would you like some breakfast? Tea, coffee?" (Y/n) asked with a yawn, as she got to her feet. Arthur already missing her warmth as she moved towards the kitchen. (Y/n) knowing that if she had stayed in the sweet clowns arms any longer, that she would have kissed him.

"No. I don't eat much. It's the medication it messes with my appetite. And if I don't leave now, I'll be late for work." Arthur replied, as he saw the time on the little clock on the table next to the sofa. Arthur wishing that he didn't have to go anywhere. That he could stay right there. Take (Y/n) up on the offer of breakfast whether he wanted it or not.

"Oh.....yeah. Of course, you don't want to be late for work." (Y/n) sighed sadly, as Arthur slowly and reluctantly pulled on his jacket.

"I don't suppose.......I mean if you aren't busy later. I will be at the studio this evening. When you get off work, you could come and start those lessons if you like. Better to start sooner rather than later. And to be honest you will be doing me a favour. If you are there, I won't have to put up with that insufferable arse, Michael. And I would much rather dance with you than him." (Y/n) chuckled as she and Arthur made their way to the door of her apartment.

"I.......I'd like that. I mean, only if you really want to. You don't owe me anything. I..........."

"I really want to, Arthur. And I do owe you something. You came to my rescue, and I can never repay you for that. Dance lessons are the least I can do. And it means that I get to spend more time with you. So, I will see you this evening. Ok?" (Y/n) interrupted. Hoping that the quiet knight in a tan jacket and black pants would agree to be there.