Open and shut case - Part 9 - Joker x Reader

Everyone looked up, as the door to the offices flew open. A very wet (Y/n) making her way in. Rowan getting to his feet, as the young lawyer made her way over to him. The man shocked that (Y/n), who usually looked quite calm. At this moment, appeared anything but.

"Is the old man here.........?" (Y/n) asked, as she looked at her confused friend.

"Er......yeah........he's still in his office. What............."

"Thanks. Don't leave. And don't let Isabella leave either." (Y/n) interrupted. Rowan watching as she made her way over to her father's office. His eyes growing wide, as she threw open the door. The young man believing that his friend must have lost her mind. For daughter or not, no one entered the old man's office without at least first knocking.

                                                                 >>-------------------------------<<

"Out!" (Y/n) ordered the shocked intern that sat in the office. The woman looking between the father and daughter. No sure whether to move or not. Fearing that whatever she did, it would be wrong.

"Get out." (Y/n) said again. Her voice quieter and a little more menacing, as she craned over the dumbfounded intern. The woman quickly collecting her pile of notes and making her way to the door. (Y/n) slamming the ingress behind her before making her way back to her father.

"What do you think................." Her father began. His angry rant cut off as (Y/n) slammed her fist down on his desk. As the Joker file was dropped onto the table.

"This case is bullshit and Bannister knew it. That's why he wanted rid of it. That is why there is nothing in here that could help Fleck. Nothing was done by the public defenders. No notes taken. No investigations have been started. No independent psychiatrists called on to evaluate my client. Nothing. Bannister and his cronies should be reported for this. He should be disbarred. This is negligent. If everyone does in fact deserve a defence, then they should at least have done something for Arthur, before you dumped this shit show on me. I don't know why you did this to me, dad. I don't know your reasons for taking this case. But, seeing you did, I am going to use every resource this office has, to keep Arthur's ass out of that chair. Because even though he is as guilty as hell, I am going prove that he is not guilty by reason of insanity. So, I want Isabella to deal with all the paperwork, and write up the transcripts for every interview I conduct with my client. I want Rowan to be the co-council. I want an investigator to re-interview Arthur's ex work colleagues. The guy in the records office at Arkham hospital. I want his old neighbours and anyone else that even so much as looked sideways at my client, to be interviewed. I want independent psychiatrists to be given access to Arthur. To be allowed to evaluate him. And if you won't give me that, then.........then fuck you, dad! Fuck this firm, and everything that you stand for. Because I'll just do it all myself." (Y/n) hissed disdainfully, as she glared at her father. The older man simply sitting back in his large chair and giving her a thin smile.

"Such fire. I am impressed. I don't think that I have ever seen you fight for a client like this, before. And that is exactly why I, as you put it, dumped this shit show on you, (Y/n). You have so much potential. You could be one of the best lawyers this city has ever seen. All you needed to reach for that potential. To stop your head from floating in the clouds. Was the right case. And I knew that this case was the one. Even as a child, you always rooted for the underdog. Always fought for life's losers. And Fleck is one of life's biggest losers. And if you can stop the clown from frying, it will prove to everyone else. To yourself. That you belong here. That this is what you were meant to do. Your grandfather would be proud of you. I am proud of you..........." (Y/n)'s father responded, as he got up from his chair, and made his way around the desk. The old man placing a kiss on her forehead. (Y/n) not knowing what to think. What to say in reply. The young woman never able to remember her father ever having told her that he was proud of her. To show her any real kind of affection.

"I will inform Isabella that she is to work solely with you on this case. I will have Rowan transfer his current cases to either Chase or Donovan, so that he can help you. I know the best man to give you the independent investigations that you want. He's from out of town and won't be burdened with the same prejudices as someone from the city. And Doctor's Lysette Cassidy and Simon Stone will be the best psychiatrists to evaluate Fleck. I will call them all tomorrow. You will have all the resources that you need." Charles continued, as he placed his arm around his daughter's shoulder, and led her from the office.

                                                              >>-------------------------------<<

"Jesus, (Y/n). This is some serious shit." Rowan exclaimed, as he read though the transcript of the interview, that Isabella was still frantically typing up. Her and Rowan still a little shocked that (Y/n)'s father had pulled them from everything else that they were already doing, so that they could help her with the clown's case.

"Yeah. Tell me about it. Despite hearing all this, its hard to believe that any of this could really happen to one person. I think that maybe........that maybe if I had been in that position. That if I had been abused like him. I might have cracked as well. I mean, I'm not condoning his crimes, but..........but part of me can understand. Part of me can see why he did what he did." (Y/n) agreed, as she leant back in her chair. Pulling the pumps from her feet and resting them up on the desk. A soft yawn leaving her lips, as another wave of fatigue hit her.

"When are you seeing him again?" Rowan enquired, as he turned his attention from the papers, to (Y/n). His friend slowly closing her eyes and letting out a heavy sigh.

"Tomorrow. In the afternoon. I still need to go over what happened on the Fraklin show, with him.............."

"Do you want me to come with you.............?" The young man continued. Not sure whether to feel relieved, or disappointed as (Y/n) shook her head. Not sure if he was ready to meet the clown, or not.

"No. Leave Arthur to me. I think that I am slowly building up some trust with him. And I don't want to ruin that. I will inform him that I have someone else helping me, but I need you to talk to the investigator. The psychiatrists that my father knows. The sooner we get that all started, the better. Though I am going to petition the court for an extension. The pre-trial date is already too close to get done all we need to do. All I can hope, is that we have a sympathetic judge." (Y/n) replied, as she slowly opened her eyes.

"Now, who's for Chinese. I have a feeling that we are going to be pulling a late one. So, its my treat." She added, as she reached into the draw of her desk, and producing a takeout menu.