Arthur and the Siren

Includes lyrics from the song, Sad song, by We the Kings.

Arthur sat in the venue his hands nervously twitching on his lap. This was part of his life now, a habit that he just couldn't, and didn't want to break. Every week on the same day at the same time Arthur would wait at the same table in the same seat to see her, the siren.

He had seen her first on the street and had decided to follow her as he was captivated by her beauty; but it wasn't just that, he had heard her laugh. It was a laugh that filled his heart with joy and his stomach with butterflies.

He found out that she lived in an apartment building not far from his, but the building and the area was much nicer than his pokey, dark and dangerous home. One evening after waiting to see her all day she appeared and got into a cab; Arthur followed, and found himself outside a club and watched as she walked in.

The cab driver turned to him, "Now that's what I call a good looking woman. You gonna go in to see her perform?"

Arthur looked at the driver "Perform?"

The driver laughed, "Yeah, perform. She's the singer here, the headline act. The guy that owns this place gets her in one day a week to sing. People call her the Siren, ya know, like the myth; the beautiful creatures that would lure sailors to their deaths by singing. Believe me, I've heard her sing, she could lure me to my death any day!" The driver gave out an extra loud chuckle.

Arthur paid the fare and walked into the venue taking a seat near the front of the stage. He ordered a drink and waited nervously for his mysterious siren to appear. After a little while the venue began filling up, as excited patrons sat and stood waiting, waiting for the Siren. There was a happy expectant buzz throughout the crowd, it was a strangely upbeat feeling, especially in such a dark place as Gotham, that made even Arthur feel more comfortable.

Suddenly the lights went out and everything was plunged into an eerie darkness. Then a bright spotlight, that made Arthur squint his eyes slightly appeared. A hush falls on the crowd as a large well-dressed man stepped into the spotlight.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's nice to see you all here tonight. Now for the real reason you are all here; I would like to introduce you to the one and only, SIREN!"

The man moved from the stage and the crowd let up a roar as the spotlight moved the middle of a pair of large dark red velvet curtains, they slowly moved apart to reveal the woman Arthur had been waiting to see. His mouth dropped open as she glided to the front of the stage to stand behind the lone microphone. Her sleek black silk dress showed just the right amount of cleavage and clung to her hips and thighs and made Arthur feel weak at the knees and gave him a warmth in his stomach. As the cheers of the crowd died, she began to sing the most glorious operatic piece that Arthur had ever heard. He felt a strange euphoria, and the crowd was completely silent as the elation seemed to spread with every note she sang.

Song after song she sang, from opera, to jazz to popular music, her voice carried seductively throughout the venue and seemed to cast a spell over the crowd who seemed to be hypnotised. Arthur noticed how she poured her emotions into every song. He watched as her perfect eyes would sparkle when she sang of love and he felt as though she was singing right to his heart. After a song she put her hands up to quiet the audience.

"Thank you so much for being here guys, each and every week I'm surprised by your support, and I can't tell you how much it means to me. Now if you are one of those people that comes and sees me every week, firstly, what is wrong with you?" She said with a wide smile causing the crowd to laugh.

"Secondly, you will know that my last song of the evening is always a song that a member of the audience requests. Why you may ask? Well, I like a challenge and you guys always give me the most interesting things to sing. So, who will I be singing to tonight? Clive put the house lights up for me."