Hero - Part 1 - Arthur x Reader

For SmilingDiana. Hope you enjoy your hero.

Every now and then, we all need a hero. Someone that comes along, sometimes out of the blue, and saves the day. Now, I'm not talking about caped superheroes with muscles in their spit, here. I'm talking about everyday heroes, that most of the time get overlooked. They could be doctors, nurses, firefighters, a cop. Or even just a friend that is there when you need them the most. Because real heroes come in all shapes and sizes. But the best heroes, can be the unexpected heroes. Men and women that just seem to pop up from nowhere and help for no other reason, other than that it is the right thing to do. A hero that doesn't need a cape or a mask. But is still a hero none the less. And in the very best of circumstances, that hero could even be a simple clown. A simple clown by the name of Arthur Fleck.

                                                       >>---------------------------------<<

(Y/n) hadn't been thinking as she had made her way down the street. Her mind too concerned with not being late for the movie. A movie that she had been looking forward to seeing for some time. The poster for 'Raiders of the Lost Arc' plastered all around the city. Normally, she didn't have time for such things. Work had always kept her busy. And in all honestly, when she wasn't busy with her job, she preferred to be at home. Her neatly appointed apartment, her favourite place in the world. But with taking a few days off, she had decided to treat herself. An afternoon showing of the film calling to her when she had been looking through the paper. And given all that, she hadn't really taken any notice of the strangely dressed man that was dancing in the street, swinging around a sign in advertisement of some store or another. Nor had she seen the man that was watching her from the doorway of one of the boarded up buildings. But unbenounced to her, the clown had not only noticed her, but also the man. His emerald, green eyes, taking in her pleasing form as she scurried past, seemingly lost in her own world. His eyes catching a glimpse, of the rather unsavoury looking man, as he pulled a hood up over his head and slowly made his way to the sidewalk. As he slowly followed after the preoccupied beauty.

Arthur stopped his dancing. The sign falling to the floor. He would be the first to admit that there were a lot of things that he didn't know. The first to admit that his education in many an area, was probably lacking. That was why he was working as a clown. But if there was one thing that he did know, it was a bad guy when he saw one. And the man that was now getting closer to the pretty lady, was definitely a bad guy. He had had more than his fair share of run-ins with men just like that. Men, that in his case, usually got some sick thrill out of beating him up. But here, it seemed obvious that the man had other intentions. Arthur's eyes growing wide as the man began to run, pushing others out of the way. As he grabbed the woman's large handbag. Knocking his victim over in the process. A loud, pained yell coming from her, as she hit the floor. As her bag was torn from her arm. Arthur forgetting about everything. Forgetting about his own wellbeing, as he began to chase after the fleeing man. Determined that the crumby city wasn't going to claim one more victim, if he could help it.

                                                        >>----------------------------------<<

(Y/n) suddenly stopped in her tracks. Ignoring the annoyed grumbles of all the other people that were crammed onto the sidewalk. She had got the most terrible feeling that she had left her purse in the apartment. Her hand darting into the large bag that hug from her shoulder. Frantically pushing around all manner of contents in hopes of finding the black wallet. Knowing that if she couldn't find it, then it would mean that she would have to make her way home. That she would have to miss the movie. Then, without warning, she found herself flat on the floor. A pained cry leaving her lips, as her bag was torn from her shoulder. As the other people around her just watched apathetically, as a man raced away with her bag in his hand. No one seeming to want to help.

But then she saw it. A streak of vivid colour. A ridiculously large pair of shoes, and fuzzy green wig chasing after the man that had just robbed her. (Y/n) struggling to her feet, as she watched the running clown and robber make their way down one of the many alleys. A pain in her ankle making it impossible for her to do anything but slump against a store doorway. Leaving her to hope that her unusual knight in shining armour, would be alright.

                                                   >>-----------------------------------<<

"Hey! Stop!" Arthur called out, as he followed the thief down one of the alleys. The man, much to Arthur's surprise doing exactly what he had told him to do.

"Fuck off freak. This is nothing to do with you. Mind your own damn business." The man growled in reply, as he turned to look at Arthur. Arthur's eyes growing wide, as the thief made his way towards him. The clown realising for the first time that he could have bitten off more than he could chew. But instead of fleeing, Arthur girded himself. Determined for the first time in his life, he was going to fight.

"That doesn't belong to you." Arthur continued, as he pointed at the bag. Swallowing the large lump that had just formed in his throat, as the man moved ever closer.

"Oh yeah? And what you gonna do about it, weirdo?" The thief chuckled mockingly. The world around Arthur suddenly seeming to be moving in slow motion, as his blood began to boil. The years of faceless, nameless, brainless thugs treating him as if he was less than nothing, coming to the fore, as yet another of those thugs mocked him. Arthur striking out without thinking. One fist connecting with the man's guts. The other with his chin. The man stumbling back in shock, as the clown loomed over him. The bag dropping to the floor, as the man stumbled away. Arthur standing there for a moment as the thief disappeared. His heart pounding violently, as his eyes moved to look down at his hands. Arthur unable to believe that it was him that had just done that. That he was even capable of that. A strange feeling bubbling up inside him. A feeling that he was sure was a mixture of pride, confidence and.......and ........puke......... Arthur leaning against the wall, as what little there was in his stomach, now spewed onto the floor. The sweaty clown gasping for air, as the obligator carrot looking things, joined the cup of tea that he had had for breakfast. Arthur wiping his mouth on the back of his glove, as he used the wall for support. Standing there for a few more moments, before he finally managed to regain his composure. Before he made his way over to the bag and picked it up. Slowly making his way back onto the busy streets to find the owner of said bag.