Rain - Arthur x Reader

What was it about the rain that seemed to wash all the sins of the great city away? Even though the same wicked people walked the streets. Even though they still did the same wicked things. There was something about the rain that made (Y/n) feel as though not only was a layer of grime being washed away. But also, a little of the corruption, avarice, and ill will as well. It was a strange thing to think that something as simple as rain could wash all that away. But it was something that she had liked to believe. That the rain gave the city a fresh start. An opportunity to change. A chance to start again. Unfortunately, though, it was an opportunity that neither the city, nor its residence ever seemed to take.

It wasn't that she didn't, in a strange way, love Gotham. It was, after all, the only home that she had ever known. She had just always hoped that one morning she would wake up, and things would be a little brighter. That people would be a little nicer. But she had to appreciate that this was Gotham. And that bright and nice were two things that the sprawling metropolis and its people were certainly not known for.

Yet there was something, or should that be someone, that gave her hope. That showed her anything was possible. That proved that there was good out there. And that someone was Arthur. Her Arthur. The sweetest, kindest, most wonderful man to ever draw breath in Gotham.

Not that most people could appreciate him. Most people saw him as strange, quiet, odd. A nervous, apprehensive little creature. Just another face in the crowd, that most wouldn't even see. But (Y/n) saw him. She had managed to break through all his fears and doubts. Managed to persuade him that he was worthy. That he was important. That he deserved to be loved. And she was the one that loved him.

She couldn't pretend that life wasn't a struggle. Couldn't pretend that his illnesses didn't make things a little difficult. But between them. Between his job at Ha Has and her job at the store. And with her constant support and encouragement, they managed to make things work.

Suddenly a clap of thunder brought her back from her thoughts. (Y/n) shaking her head as the rain suddenly got heavier. She knew that Arthur would be on his way home now. That the poor thing would be having to make his way through the streets of Gotham as the heavens rained down on him. That by the time he got back to the apartment, the poor clown would look like a drowned rat. Soaked to the bone, and shivering.

Quickly, (Y/n) jumped to her feet, racing to the cupboard where she kept all the clean linen. Her hands feeling for the largest, thickest, fluffiest towel that she could find on the top shelf. Her Arthur might come home soaked to the bone, but she would make sure that he didn't stay that way. Before he knew it, he would be dry and warm. Wrapped up in her arms as she listened to him tell her about his day.

Luckily, she had managed to persuade Arthur to leave his dingy little apartment and move into hers. It wasn't a palace by any means, and it was still only a dingy little apartment. But it was in a better area than Arthur's had been, and the move seemed to have given him a brand new outlook on the world. And given it was closer to work, it meant that the poor man's commute at the end of a long day, was certainly less arduous.

Placing the towel on the table next to the front door, (Y/n) made her way to the kitchen to make tea. As soon as Arthur stepped through the door, she would wrap him in the towel, push him to the bathroom with orders to get a hot shower. And by the time he was done, there would a freshly brewed pot of his favourite tea waiting for him.

To others, these gestures would seem like nothing. Tiny little things that lovers did for one another every day without thinking. But to Arthur, it was the little things that seemed to count the most. For so long he had been starved of attention. Of care and love. So, from the very beginning, (Y/n) had done all she could to show him, that whether he thought that he was worthy of love or not, she thought he was.

The clock above the old fireplace suddenly rang out the hour of six. Another clap of thunder and crack of lightning coinciding with the final chime of the hour. (Y/n) racing back to the window as she waited to catch sight her Arthur, make his way down the street.

It was hard to see anything as the rivers of rain ran down the panes of glass. The sea of umbrellas making it even harder to see one man in amongst all the comings and goings. But suddenly there he was. A beacon of light in an otherwise dark day. (Y/n) believing that a single shaft of light had just descended from the sky. Illuminating the simple man. Singling him out from all the other souls that milled about around him.

(Y/n) couldn't help but chuckle slightly as she saw that his brown hair was sticking to his face. Sometimes, Arthur reminded her of a wet cocker spaniel that had just jumped into every puddle it could find, when he looked like that. Bedraggled, dishevelled, and feeling a little sorry for itself as it shivered. But never sorry for having done what it had done. The fun outweighing the cost of being wet.

As Arthur made his way to the building, (Y/n) moved from the seat by the windows to sit on the arm of the sofa so that she could be looking at him as he entered their home. She wanted to be the first thing that he saw as he got home. The first thing he smiled at. The first thing to smile at him.

"Good evening Mister Fleck." (Y/n) chuckled as Arthur pushed his way through the door. A smile suddenly spreading across his lips as he lay eyes on his (Y/n). Arthur knowing that no matter how difficult, or bad his day had been, (Y/n) could always make it seem better. His smile growing even wider as she got to her feet and took the towel from the table next to the door. Wrapping it around his shoulders before brushing his wet hair from his face and placing a gentle kiss to his soft lips.

"Now, go get a hot shower. When you're done, we can have tea and you can tell me about your day." (Y/n) ordered as she pushed him in the direction of the bathroom. Kissing him once again before she shut the door behind him.

Making her way back to the kitchen. A broad smile spreading across her lips as she heard Arthur begin to sing. (Y/n) knew that there was one thing that the rain could never and would never be able to wash away. And that was her love for Arthur.