Special Agent - Epilogue

This is an epilogue especially for clarinette4440. I'm a shocking hopeless romantic, and couldn't help but write something that I hope is a better end to the imagine😊

It had been a year since (Y/n) had seen Joker, a year since she had made love to him; a year since he had admitted that she was his first. For a moment she had found it difficult to believe that a man of his age was still a virgin; but given everything she knew about his life, his mother, and his illnesses, she truly wasn't all that surprised.

Even though he was not the first man she had slept with, she could truly say that despite his lack of experience, he still managed to do things to her body that she was sure even the most experienced man would find impossible. He had been so gentle, wanting to ensure that she enjoyed the experience as much as he was; he had made her feel as though she was the most important woman on the planet, and despite the air of cockiness that he normally displayed to everyone else, when he had been with her that night, he had been the most caring lover that she could ever wish for.

For the first couple of months after his disappearance, she had tortured herself by listening to their interviews over and over, or by watching anything that might show his face, in a vain attempt to keep a connection between them; and even though she was happy that he wasn't locked in Arkham, the fact that he was out there in the world, and couldn't be with her, had led to many nights of drowning her sorrows in wine or tubs of ice-cream, and even more nights of crying herself to sleep.

Work had been the only thing that had kept her going, as she buried herself under mounds of paperwork, trying to drown out the thoughts of the man from Gotham, that seemed to constantly bombarded her.

It had been a year to the day since Joker had vanished from not only Arkham, but also from Gotham; she had tried to keep up with the news as the authorities had searched for the killer clown, but as the year had passed, the reports appeared less and less, until they finally seemed to stop.

She had always wondered where he could have gone, how he seemed to have vanished so completely; but it was the notion that he could have found someone else that had nearly killed her.

She had stayed true to him, loving him more every day; but even though he had promised that some day he would return to her, as the time passed, she grew to slowly disbelieve that she would ever see the man that the rest of the world only saw as a murderer, again.

(Y/n) sat at her desk, the report that she was compiling on the latest killer that she had been interviewing was nearly finished, and for once she was glad that she would have a brief respite to breath, until she was sent out again.

Apart from the fact that she felt more alone than she ever had, (Y/n) had stayed busy by going out to Louisiana with a colleague to try and help the local police locate a killer that the press had dubbed 'Swamp Thing', due to the fact that each of his known victims, or at least what was left of them if the alligators had found them, had been found in one of the local swamp.

The method of death was simple, the killer had manually strangled each of his victims, breaking the hyoid bone in the process; her partner believed that the killer may possibly have some knowledge of forensics, knowing that placing his victims in water could remove a lot of useful evidence, but (Y/n) knew that it was more likely that the killer just knew the area well, probably living nearby, and it was the easiest place for him to dispose of the bodies, hoping that the local reptiles would help by eating the evidence.

She had spent a whole month assisting the police by going over the crime scenes, using the photos to try and see in her mind's eye, the series of events that had taken place before and after the killings; but despite her insistence that she should stay and help, Steve had called her back to base, and she had spent the last few months feeling as though she was being purposely confined to the office.