Mother Nature - Arthur x Reader

Mother Nature was a cruel woman, not only had she made him sweet and kind, but she had made him undeniably handsome, with the most stunning pair of green eyes you had ever seen; and if that wasn't cruel enough, then she had to go and make you fall in love with him. Damn you Mother Nature, damn you for making a man like Arthur Fleck.

Most people couldn't see what you saw in the unusual man, choosing to only see the stranger side of his nature rather than the man beneath; but to you the strange laugh was nothing but another hint of Mother Nature's wicked side, she knew that it would not scare you as it scared so many others, she knew that it would attract you to him, make you want to care for him, and she knew all this because she had made you too.

She knew that you would love every crease and line on his skin that made him look older than his true age, she knew that every wrinkle around his eyes would draw you to him like a moth to a flame, and you were sure that wherever the woman looked down from, that she was smiling at the fact your heart would beat so violently in your chest every time you saw him, that you could swear that at any moment it would burst from your chest.

You often found yourself cursing at the great mother for giving him that timid smile, for that twinkle in his perfect eyes, and for how he would rub the back of his neck nervously with his hand whenever the two of you spoke, the sudden tinge of red that would always come to his cheeks making your mind numb, making you forget anything other than Arthur Fleck, making you remember all the long lonely nights you had dreamed of what could be, dreamed of holding him in your arms and never letting go.

You had been helping out at Ha-Ha's for some time now, doing little jobs here and there, mending outfits if they got torn, or making new ones if any of the boys needed them, you were their go to girl, a Jill of all trades, and luckily for you, you were a master of all of them; even Hoyt would send the men to you if they needed something, knowing that his right hand woman would always, sometimes miraculously, solve any problem. The only problem you couldn't solve was one Arthur Fleck.

From the moment you had set eyes on him you were smitten, his every movement, his every gesture was like a ballet, his smile more perfect than any that even the most celebrated artisans could paint, and you knew there and then that you were looking at Mother Nature's greatest creation, a walking, talking image of perfection.

Sometimes you thought that Arthur knew what he was doing to you heart, what the mere mention of his name did to your body and soul; but deep down you knew that Arthur was just as much of a victim of Mother Nature as you, he had no idea that he held your heart in the palm of his hand, no idea of what a god he was in your eyes, no idea of how much you loved him. Damn you Mother Nature, damn you.

"Oh dear god, (Y/n), will you please just go and talk to him, it's painful watching you two moon over one another like two love struck teenagers. It's not like he'd bite your head off or anything, actually he's more likely to shoot off like some scared deer if you actually went and said something to him properly; but you'll never know unless you try." Gary chuckled as he came up next to you, shaking his head as your eyes dropped back to the sewing in your hands.

"What are you talking about, I don't moon over anyone, I've got too much to do with having to fix all the problems of you bunch of prima donnas to have time to moon over anyone." You replied with a huff, doing the very best you could to make it seem as if you had no idea what the little man was talking about.

"You know, you are only lying to yourself, and you are a terrible actress (Y/n). Everyone knows that you have your eye on Arthur and have had since the day you got here. I mean, it's not like he doesn't feel the same........" Gary began, smiling broadly as your eyes flew up to meet his, a pink hue heating your skin as you looked between him and the slender man that was absentmindedly painting his face, as he seemed to stare at his reflection in the mirror.

"Arthur likes me too...? I mean, so you're telling me that Arthur likes me?" You asked, smiling as the little man nodded his head.

"Are you kidding, you're all he ever talks about, (Y/n) this, (Y/n) that, and god help us all if you are late for any reason. Last week when you were half an hour late, we had to stop him from ringing the police and the hospital, he was so scared that something may have happened to you. To be brutally honest, it's driving the rest of us crazy, so if not for your own sakes, at least for ours." Gary told you, as he took the sewing from your hands and almost forced you up from your chair and over to were Arthur sat.

                                                         >>------------------------------<<

Mother Nature was a cruel woman, not only had she made her sweet and kind but she had made her exquisitely beautiful, with the most stunning pair of eyes Arthur had ever seen; and if that wasn't cruel enough, then she had to make him fall in love with her. Damn you Mother Nature, damn you, why did you have to create a woman such as (Y/n).

Arthur loved everything about (Y/n), and had done from the moment he first laid eyes on her; he loved her smile, he loved her laugh, the way the beautiful pink hue would kiss her cheeks every time the two of them spoke; he loved the way she would lay her hand delicately on his arm if she needed to lean across him, the mere touch of her fingertips setting every one of his nerves on fire. Damn you Mother Nature, damn you.

Arthur often found himself cursing at the great mother for giving (Y/n) that timid smile, for that twinkle in her perfect eyes, and for how she seemed to look at him and only him whenever he spoke to her, her melodious voice making Arthur's mind numb, making him forget anything other than (Y/n), making him remember all the long lonely nights he had dreamed of what could be, dreamed of holding her in his arms and never letting go. Damn you Mother Nature, damn you.

Arthur grew wide eyed as he saw the reflection of (Y/n) as she made her way over towards him, causing him to suddenly take an interest in his makeup as he tried to pretend that he had not been watching her all morning.

"Arthur." (Y/n) said softly, Arthur's skin tingling as her mere closeness did wonderfully awful things to his body.

"Oh, hi (Y/n), is everything ok?" Arthur asked, trying to act as nonchalant as he possibly could, as he turned to face her.

"Yes, fine. I..........well I was just wondering whether...... I mean, I know you probably don't, but if you're free this evening, after work, which of course you're probably not; I was wondering if you would like to come to my place for some dinner? I know you don't really eat much, but you can always eat as much as you like, and............" (Y/n) spluttered out, a huge smile spreading across her lips as Arthur interrupted her.

"I....... I'd love to." Arthur said, himself smiling as he felt (Y/n) take his hand in hers.

"Oh, wonderful! Er....... I mean good. So, I'll meet you outside when you've finished for the day, and we can both go to my place together." (Y/n) told him, Arthur's heart melting as the familiar pink hue, rose in her cheeks.

"Y-y-yeah, that, that sounds good." Arthur replied, watching as (Y/n) returned to her sewing, the smile never leaving her lips as she sat down at her desk.

Arthur looked back in his mirror as he picked up his brush, the white paint covering his own blush, smiling as he whispered softly to himself.

"Thank you, Mother Nature, thank you."