Hero - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

(Y/n) stood in the doorway of the old store. Her hand carefully rubbing at the ankle that was already looking swollen. She knew that she shouldn't be shocked that no one around her had given a damn. This was Gotham after all. Crime was unfortunately an everyday occurrence. But to have others just continue about their daily business as if nothing had happened. As if they had not just seen a crime perpetrated right in front of them on a busy sidewalk in the middle of the afternoon, was even a bit cold for the inhabitants of this dark place.

"I.............this is yours................." A tentative voice came. (Y/n)'s eyes flying up to see the man dressed in a full clown costume that had sped past her in pursuit of the mugger, holding out her bag. The sweat on his brow, and heated tinge to his face, obvious, despite the thick white makeup that coated his features.

"Tha..........thank you. Are you alright? I was worried.........You didn't have to..........I mean..............it was very brave of you............" (Y/n) managed to reply, as she took her bag from the man's grasp. Her eyes seeming to be unable to remove themselves from those of the clown.

"It's okay. And I'm fine. You should really be more careful though. Downtown isn't the nicest place for ladies like you...............I better get back............"

"No! Please wait..................." (Y/n) called out, as her hero turned and slowly made his way back down the sidewalk. The sudden yell of pain, as she placed her foot to the floor so that she could try and follow after him, causing Arthur to turn back. His heart pounding, as her body fell into his arms. Her fingers digging into his shoulders, not only for stability, but also so that she could ride out the wave of pain that had shot up from her ankle.

"Are........are you alright.................?"

"I twisted my ankle when that man knocked me over. I thought it would be alright, but...........but I can't seem to put any weight on it. I'm so sorry." (Y/n) replied, as she finally managed to withdraw her fingernails from the clown's flesh. Doing her best to reassure him that this had nothing to do with him. A slight flush coming to her cheeks, as she realised that his arms were still firmly around her.

"Wait here.......I'll be right back." Arthur informed her, as he slowly helped her back to the support of the shop doorway. (Y/n)'s brows furrowing, as the clown sped away, returning moments later with a cab closely behind him.

"I got this.........can you get to it, if I help?" Arthur told her, holding out his hand for her to take. Butterflies bursting into life in his stomach, as she smiled back at him.

"I think so........thank you. You are so kind." (Y/n) told him, as her clown helped her hobble over to the waiting car. Arthur opening the door so that he could help her inside.

"West 52nd Street." (Y/n) told the cab driver, before turning her attention back to the man that stood on the sidewalk.

"Thank you. You are my hero............" Her words stopped, as the cab began to move away from the kerb.

"Tell me your name............" (Y/n) called out, as she stuck her head out of the car window.

"Arthur............." Came the reply.

"I'm (Y/n).............." (Y/n) called back, as the car moved around the corner. Her hero disappearing out of sight.

                                                           >>-------------------------------<<

"What the heck have you been doing? You have a couple of days off and you come back injured. The last thing you said, was that you were going to see that movie. Don't tell me you fainted over that Harrison Ford guy." Jemma chuckled, as (Y/n) hobbled her way back into the office.

"Don't be stupid. I didn't even get to see the movie. I was on my way to the theatre, and I got mugged..............."

"Jeez, (Y/n). Are you ok? I tell you......this city gets worse........"

"I'm fine Jem. Apart from my ankle and my pride being a little bruised I'm ok."

"What got taken...............?"

"He stole my bag. But I got it back........well, someone got it back for me. He raced after this guy when no one else would do anything. I don't know what happened, but he got my bag back and everything was still in it." (Y/n) explained, as she tried her best to rest her still painful ankle.

"OOOOOOO a knight in shining armour. Was he bashing and handsome? Did you give him your number.................?"

"I don't know. I couldn't really tell for all the makeup..........."

"Makeup................?" Jemma quickly interjected. More than a little confused by her friend's comment.

"He was........he was dressed as a clown. I didn't get to really see what he looked like. But he did have the most beautiful eyes. And I didn't get chance to say anything to him really, or give him my number. I wish I could have thanked him properly. That I could have spoken to him a little more. But the cab he got for me.................."

"HA-HAS!" Jemma suddenly exclaimed, as she took a seat on (Y/n)'s desk.

"What...........?"

"You said that this hero of yours was dressed as a clown, right? Which I am not surprised about. You always have had the habit of attracting the weirdest people. But if you want to be able to thank him properly, there is really only one place he could work. A place called Ha- Has. My brother once hired this guy from there to perform at my niece's birthday. You know the kind of thing, balloon animals and a little bit of magic. If you ask me, its all just a little creepy, but if you want................"

"Ha- Has...........?" (Y/n) mused, as she wondered whether she should try and find this Arthur. Whether she should try and find some way of thanking him properly for all that he had done. For being a hero in a city full of villains.

"Give me a couple of minutes, and I'll call my brother. I'm sure that he will still have the address. And if you want, at lunch time, I could drive you down there........" Jemma told her. (Y/n) finally nodding, having decided that she would quite like to see if her clown again. That if nothing else, she would at least be able to say thank you one more time.