A little bit of magic - Part 3 - Arthur x Reader

Arthur couldn't help but whistle happily to himself, as he made his way back into Ha-Ha's. Jumping up the steps, like a young child would jump into a rainy day puddle. He still looked a mess after his beating. He still felt sore after his beating. But given that he had spent the rest of the day in (Y/n)'s little warm kitchen, The store owner listening intently, as he told her about his life through mouthfuls of bread. He didn't care. And he didn't care that the client would probably or had already called Hoyt. Complaining about his absence from the front of his store. He didn't care about the fact that Hoyt would drag him into the office and ball him out for not doing his job. Demanding to know where he had been all afternoon. All he cared about was that (Y/n) had invited him back. That she had told him to come back any time. That he could come back tomorrow night for dinner, if he wanted. And boy did he want.

He had to admit that he felt at least two stone heavier than he had when he had first made his way into her shop. The two bowls of warm soup, and nearly half a loaf of bread, filling him from toe to brim. Yet he was also sure that he had never felt more content in his life. Never felt happier. Arthur chuckling, as he realised that if he spent enough time with (Y/n), no one would ever be able to describe him as a bag of bones again. In fact, he was sure that the opposite would be true. The clown able to imagine himself as a rather rotund man with bright cheeks. His girth putting even Randall's to shame.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like you've been fighting for scraps in the back alleys with the rats again." Randall laughed, as Arthur made his way into the changing room. Arthur choosing to completely ignore him, as he made his way over to his locker.

"Er........Arthur. Are you ok? You do look like you've been in the wars a little." Gary chimed in. Shaking his head, as Randall and some of the others continued to laugh at his oh so witty comment.

"What? Oh, um........yeah. I got beat up a little. But I'm fine. Couldn't be better, actually." Arthur replied cheerily, as he pulled out his regular clothes from the blue metal locker. Gary watching, as Arthur peeled off the top of his Carnival costume and pulled a little bottle out of his pocket. The little man's brows furrowing, as he watched his taller friend grab a cloth, and pour some of the clear liquid from the bottle onto it. A strange woody, floral aroma filling the air. The little clown catching hints of root beer and sarsaparilla, as Arthur dabbed the cloth to the cuts and bruises on his rib cage.

"What's that?" Gary enquired, as he took a seat on the bench next to Arthur.

"Smells nice."

"It's witch hazel. (Y/n) said that it should help with the cuts, bruises and any other inflammation. That.................."

"(Y/n)?! And who might this (Y/n) be? Might she be the reason that you are in such a good mood despite having been beaten up?" Gary chuckled. Arthur turning a bright shade of beet red, as he turned to look at the little man by his side.

"Wait a minute. I did a job once for this really nice lady called (Y/n). I had to dress up as a wizard and promote this funny store of hers. But I think that I spent most of the two days in the shop talking to her instead. And boy could that girl cook. I swear that I've never eaten as well in my whole life as I did those two days. And her apple pie, mmmm, mmmm, mmmm. I'm sure I still have dreams about it." The little man added. His mouth suddenly watering, as he recalled the taste of the sweet treat.

"It wouldn't be that (Y/n), would it?"

"Well, er..........yeah. You see I chased after some kids after they stole my sign. And they ended up beating me up, after I followed them down some alley. The next thing I know, is that (Y/n) chases them away, and she helps me to her store. I've been sat in her kitchen all this time. I know that Hoyt is going to kill me but..................."

"Arthur!" A voice suddenly rang out. Arthur and Gary both turning to see Hoyt make his way in. Arthur getting a terrible sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.

"I just got a call from that client you were working for today.............." Hoyt continued. Arthur feeling every aching muscle clench, as he waited for his boss to tell him that he was fired or something.

"He said that you've done a great job. That he was more than happy with what you did today. Well done." Hoyt, added. Arthur staring at him in disbelief for a moment, before smiling and nodding in thanks as Hoyt left the room.

"But......but I................."

"Wow, Arthur. You really must have made an impression. I don't think that I've ever heard Hoyt compliment anyone before." Gary finally commented. The little man as taken aback as Arthur was.

"But I was with (Y/n) all afternoon. I............"

"That's what I meant. You must have made an impression on (Y/n). They all think that she's a witch around there, you know. They all think that she's into voodoo, or devil worshipping, or some such other rubbish. (Y/n) told me that she plays on it. That all she really does is sell trinkets and crystals and allows everyone else to fill in the blanks. I bet she went to see the client. He probably thought she would put some curse on him if he didn't tell Hoyt that you were brilliant." Gary chuckled. Finding the whole thing very amusing. Especially Arthur's still shocked face.

"I'm going back to her place tomorrow for dinner..........." Arthur suddenly announced. Gary's smile growing, as he jumped down from the bench.

"Well, Don Juan. I didn't know that you could move so fast. The next thing I know, you'll have girls everywhere. Though I would suggest that if a girl like (Y/n) likes you, then she would be all you need. She's a keeper. Tell her hello from me, won't you? And if there's any of that apple pie of hers going begging, I'll be happy to take a slice." The little man laughed. Patting Arthur on the arm, before leaving the room. Arthur sure that he would have to find a way to repay (Y/n) for all her help, when they met again the next evening.