Schoolboy crush - Part 4 - Arthur x Reader

"So, what do you have planned for your days back in the old hometown?" Alex asked, as he and (Y/n) made their way through the large building. Both of them glad that the conference was over and that for once, neither of them had to jet off to some war torn country somewhere. The two friends dodging through the well dressed crowd of eager diplomats and anyone else that had been invited along to the conference.

"Actually, I'm meeting up with a very old friend. I wrote to him a couple of weeks ago telling him that I would be here, and he said that he would like to catch up. I can't wait to see him. It's been absolutely years since I last saw him, or even spoke to him for that matter. He was always the sweetest thing. But he was one of those kids that just seemed to attract bullies, you know. I'm sure that every other day he was getting beaten up by one braindead jock or another. And I always found myself jumping to his defence. I hated that those idiots seemed to think that they had the right to treat him like he was nothing. But despite the way he was treated, he always managed to remain his same lovable, sweet self. The only guy to ever walk me home." (Y/n) explained as they finally got to the front of the building. Alex opening the door. The noises and smells of the city filling their senses.

"So, you were always a knight in shining armour then? And it sounds to me like you really have a thing for this guy, (Y/n)?" Alex chuckled, the two making there way out onto the top of the steep flight of stairs that lead down to the plaza below. (Y/n) looking around to see if she could see Arthur in the crowd of people.

"Yeah, I suppose I did. I mean.......I suppose I still do. I've been writing to him every week since I left Gotham. No matter where I was in the world, no matter what I was doing, I always wrote to him. And I could never wait to get his letters in return. So, maybe he means more to me than I realise." (Y/n) explained. Her eyes growing wide as she saw an approaching mop of brown hair.

"That's him Alex. I'll see you later." (Y/n) said, placing a soft kiss to her friend's cheek, before rushing down the steps.

"But what if it's not him, (Y/n)? You said that you hadn't seen him for years!" Alex called out behind her. (Y/n) stopping at the bottom of the stairs and turning to look up at him.

"I know its him. I just know that its him. I'd recognised Arthur anywhere. I'll see you later." (Y/n) replied, before turning again and pushing her way through the crowds of people that milled around the plaza.

                                                         >>-----------------------------------<<

Arthur looked at his watch. Despite all his best efforts, he was late. He didn't mean to be. It was the last thing that he wanted. But he was going to be late. After all this time, all these years, after promising her that he would be there at four o'clock, he was already thirty minutes late. And it felt as though he was never going to get there.

He had written back to (Y/n) that night, telling her that he would love to meet her when she returned to Gotham. That he couldn't think of anything that he would like more. But as he had pushed the envelope into the mailbox, he had begun to grow nervous, thinking about all the bad things that could happen. What she would think about him after all these years. That she might be shocked about the way he looked. Annoyed by the way he had exaggerated about his work. And then when he had received her letter in reply, telling him when she would be there and asking if he could meet her at a certain place and time, his nerves had gotten worse. Arthur sure that he had been having a laughing fit every day. Yet he knew that he couldn't say no, now. He had waited to long to see her again. And despite everything, he wouldn't miss out on what could be his only chance.

He had never been able to summon up the courage to tell her how he felt when they were younger. He had thanked her for all that she had done, a thousand times before she had left. But he had never been able to tell her that he had cared for her. That when he had found himself waking up in her room that morning, that he had wished that they could have done something together other than sleep. He had tried to subtly hint at it in his letters over the years. Even ending his lengthy notes by saying, 'all my love' and 'lots of love'. Putting lots of x's at the end of his name. But he had never out and out said it. Never told her that she had been the only woman that he had been able to think about all these years. That the smell of her old room was one that he could still remember. And the look of her slumbering softly in his arms, was one that he would never forget.

He had made sure that he looked his best, though as soon as he had got dressed that morning, he had wished that he could afford something better. Something ever so slightly more striking than his white shirt and black pants. That maybe a smart suit would have been more appropriate to meet (Y/n) in, after all this time. But unfortunately, this was the best he could do. And anyway, Arthur seemed to sense that (Y/n) wouldn't mind how he looked. That from her letters he could tell that she was the same down to earth girl that she had always been. And that as long as he turned up, she would be happy. But now he was hot and sweaty. The quiet clown having run through the streets of the city to try and get to the plaza before he was any later than he already was. Parts of his once smart looking hair, sticking to his skin as the beads of sweat on his brow, mingled with his brown locks.

"ARTHUR!?" A voice called out as he finally made his way onto the plaza. The nervous man looking around frantically as he heard his name called out again. His heart in his mouth as he at last saw the woman that he had waited to see for so long. And even though she was a little older, he would recognise her anywhere. Recognise that smile anywhere. The same smile that he had loved all those years ago.

"Hi." (Y/n) said as she came to a stop in front of him. Arthur trying to stop his already pounding heart from bursting from his chest as she reached up and brushed his damp hair from his face.

"I can't believe it. I don't think you've changed a bit, Arthur. You still have that same pretty little head that I remember." (Y/n) chuckled, before pulling him into her arms and holding him tight. Arthur finding his arms wrap themselves around her as if on instinct. As if he had done it a hundred times before. Neither of them caring that they were stood in the middle of a crowd. The sounds and smells of the city seeming to disappear as they embraced.

"I......I'm sorry I was late. I didn't mean to be. Its just.........." Arthur began to apologise, as he reluctantly let (Y/n) go.

"Nonsense, Arthur. You're not late. Its me that's late. The last speaker went on for a little longer than he was meant to. But now I have the rest of the week to myself, and if you want, we can spend all of it together." (Y/n) told him, as she took his arm and led him out of the plaza.

"Now, what do you say about showing a girl a few of the sights? I know this is Gotham, but one or two things must have changed since I was here last." (Y/n) added with a chuckle. Arthur knowing that he would be more than happy to spend every last minute that he could with her.