Hero - Part 3 - Arthur x Reader

Arthur made his way through the door, and up the stairs. He hadn't really taken much notice of his usual commute into work. His thoughts still filled with what had happen only two days before. Firstly, he couldn't believe what he had done. He couldn't believe that he had run after the thief without a thought for himself. That he had confronted the man. That.........that he had punched him. Causing the robber to drop the bag and run off. Arthur just happy that no one had been there to see him puke his guts up after he had realised the danger he had been in. Sure, that it would have taken the shine off his act. But most of all, he hadn't been able to forget about the beautiful woman to whom the bag belonged. Hadn't been able to forget how she had fallen into his arms. How he had held her close as she had steadier herself. How she had called out for his name. Arthur sure that hers, was one of the most beautiful that he had ever heard. His thoughts and memories of that day, culminating in the most wonderful, yet unrealistic dream he had ever had, the night before.

It would probably sound ridiculous if he were to tell anyone. Because it was most certainly ridiculous to him. But, as he had finally managed to drift off to sleep, his mind had created a fantasy where he had been a brave knight in shimmering armour. His mount, a mighty white steed with a long flowing mane. He and the great destrier roaming the land, fighting fire breathing dragons, and saving villagers from all manner of beasts. Then he had been called to meet with the king. The monarch begging him to save his daughter from an evil witch. Offering the brave Sir Arthur anything for the return of his beloved child. Arthur replying that saving the princess would be reward enough, before leaving the court to great fanfare, and making his way out into the world to find the witch and the princess.

The next thing that he could remember was that he had come up to a dark cave. Arthur taking his helmet from his head, before dismounting his noble steed, drawing his blade from its sheath and making his way into the darkness. The sounds of sobbing drawing him further into the gloom. And then, she was there. In the flickering light of a burning torch. The princess. The most beautiful woman that he had ever seen. The exquisite creature crying and trembling as she held herself. The bars of a cage stopping her from fleeing the awful place. Stopping her from escaping from the hideous harridan that was mocking her. Then, without thinking, Arthur had called out. The witch turning and glaring at him. The ancient hag making her way over to Sir Arthur, goading him. Asking the brave knight what he thought he could do to save the damsel in distress. If he thought, he was worthy of the princess. Arthur thrusting the point of his sword into the belly of the witch as she came into striking distance. Ignoring the shrieking crone as he made his way over to the princess. Freeing her from her confines. The lady throwing herself into his arms. Thanking her brave knight, before they moved closer, their lips meeting in a glorious................

"Earth to Arthur. Hey! You with us pal?" Gary asked, as he watched Arthur make his way, absentmindedly, over to his usual seat, and drop into the chair.

"What..............?"

"You looked like you were lost in another world. Not that that would be a bad thing I suppose. Anywhere has got to be better than Gotham. Thinking about it....... maybe I should join you. Cos wherever you were, you looked like you were enjoying it." Gary chuckled, as Arthur took off his jacket and placed it over the back of his chair.

"I..........I wasn't anywhere. I was just........just remembering something that happened the other day." Arthur informed the little man. Not really wanting to tell Gary about his strange Disney-esque dream. The clown well aware that the real world. His world. That real life. His life. That real love was nothing like anything you would see in the animations. Not that he would know what real love was like. Thought that didn't mean that he had abandoned all hope, that one day he would eventually know what it was to be cared for. To know what it was to care for someone in return.

"Oh yeah? And what happened the other day?" Gary enquired, as he climbed onto the chair next to his friend. The little man's eyes growing wide, as Arthur reluctantly told him about the incident. About what he had done.

                                                              >>-------------------------------<<

(Y/n) sat in the passenger seat of Jemma's car. The city racing by, as they made their way to Ha- Ha's. It hadn't taken long for Jemma to get the address from her brother. But it had seemed to take forever for the clock to get to their lunch hour. Yet, it had given her time to think about what she would say to her hero. How she could thank him for all he had done. Though she had to admit that everything she had thought of, didn't seem good enough. Didn't seem worthy of the man that had been the only one to give a damn.

"We're here." Jemma suddenly announced, as she stopped the car. (Y/n) looking out at the dingy surroundings.

"Here.................?"

"Yep. Not exactly the first place that you'd think of looking for clowns, but.............According Dominic, the door to Ha- Ha's is just over there." Jemma explained, as she pointed over to the other side or the street. The faded amusement mile sign and trusses of the train bridge above, not making (Y/n) feel any easier as she opened the car door.

"Do you want me to come with you...................."

"No........no. I'll be fine. Its not that far, and my ankle is feeling a little better. I'll try not to be too long." (Y/n) replied. Giving Jemma an appreciative smile before closing the door behind her and making her way across the street.

                                                           >>--------------------------------<<

(Y/n) suddenly felt idiotic as she stood before the door. Her hand resting on the handle. He probably wouldn't even remember the incident. Probably wouldn't even remember her. Perhaps he did this all the time? Perhaps he was always saving woman from muggers. Perhaps she was just one of many, and he would think that she had lost her mind by coming to find him. By coming to thank him...........

"Well..........! Open the door!" Jemma called out. (Y/n) rolling her eyes at the sound of her friend's voice. Knowing that Jemma would not let it rest if she just turned around and made her way back to the car. So, she had to go in. (Y/n) slowly opening the door. Her heart dropping a little, as she saw the tall flight of steps.