Look at what we made - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

So, this is a second part of this imagine especially for SmilingDiana. I hope that its ok 😊💖

"Arthur. Neither of us are made of glass you know; you don't have to treat us like we are." (Y/n) said, as Arthur, with Gary in tow, helped (Y/n) and baby Alex into their apartment.

(Y/n) couldn't help but laugh as she looked around the home that once housed just herself, a home that was now filled with the love of a good man and a new born son; she could swear that Arthur had child proofed every inch of their apartment, and for a moment she regretted letting him read all those books about babies and child rearing, at least she did until she saw the look of pride in his eyes, as Arthur took his son in his arms, carrying the child around the rooms as he told him about his new home.

"You know, a couple of years ago I would never have believed that anything like this would happen to either of you." Gary mussed, as he placed (Y/n)'s bag on the floor and sat next to her on the sofa.

"Now look at you, you're a mom, Arthur is a dad, and I'm an uncle." The small man chuckled, as he thought about how much the shy and nervous Arthur had changed since he and (Y/n) had been together; how, even though he was still not what you would call gregarious and outgoing, Arthur had managed to grow in confidence, and his self-esteem had improved in leaps and bounds.

"He's going to be a wonderful father. I know he's worried about Alex and me, and I know he's been talking to you about doing something other than working at Ha-Has; but being Carnival is part of him, part of what makes me love him." (Y/n) told Gary, as she smiled watching Arthur stand at the window and point out parts of the city to the slumbering child in his arms.

"He'll be a great dad, (Y/n); I think you've probably given him the only thing that Arthur ever really wanted in his life." Gary said, squeezing his sisters' hand.

"You've given him love." Gary told her, chuckling as (Y/n) nudged him.

"I didn't know that my big brother could be such an old romantic; but you're wrong, its Arthur that gave me what I wanted. I thought life was good until I met him, but once I did, I realised all the things I had been missing." (Y/n) mussed, as she continued to watch the new father and son.

>>------------------------------------<<

"And do you see that dark area over there? Well that was where I used to live before I met your mom. You wouldn't have liked it over there, I didn't like it much, but I suppose as long as you and your mom were there, I'm sure that I would have learned to like it." Arthur cooed softly, as he pointed out an area in the distance to the boy wrapped up in a large warm blanket.

"You know, you have the best mom in the world, and I promise that I will try and be a good dad; I just hope that you won't get embarrassed when you find out that your pops is just a clown." Arthur said softly, jumping slightly as (Y/n) rested her head against his shoulders, her arms slipping around his waist.

"And you are the best clown ever, and don't you forget it. Now stop showing him the city and come and say goodbye to Gary." (Y/n) said, as she took Alex from Arthur's arms, and went to bid her brother farewell.

>>-----------------------------------<<

Arthur's eyes fluttered open as he heard a soft noise, he looked down at (Y/n) as she snuggled into his side, making him feel warm and comfortable; she had only been in hospital for a couple of days but for him it had felt like a lifetime. He had hated being alone again, his mind drifting back to his old life when he had had no one and nothing; he had struggled to sleep, fearing that if he closed his eyes he would wake up to find that (Y/n) and his son were both some beautiful dream, and he was, in truth, still in his ratty apartment all alone; but now that she was back with him, he felt complete again, like the missing piece to his puzzle had been found and put back in its place.

As (Y/n) moved again, humming softly in her sleep, Arthur wondered whether she was dreaming of him, if she had ever dreamed of a man like him. He knew that many girls dreamed of the ideal Prince Charming, the man with the square jaw and the six pack, the man with the perfect smile, and the coiffured hair; but not (Y/n), he knew that she had always been different, she could see passed the laugh, and his awkwardness, see passed his lithe frame and his lack of confidence, to the man that was under all the neuroscience, to the man that she loved.

He had often joked with her about the actors on the big movies, how she would be better off with a guy like them, but (Y/n) had always said that looks fade, but a good heart, and wonderful personality would last forever, and didn't need plastic surgery to maintain them.

As Arthur lay there, his arm around (Y/n)'s shoulder, his fingers gently stroking her arm, he was alerted by a small cry from the end of the bed; looking up he could see the tiny creature moving, growing more and more grisly as he slowly woke. As carefully as he could, Arthur pulled away from (Y/n), moving down to the crib, looking down at the small child who looked up at him wide eyed.

"Ok, ok, we don't want to wake your mom unless we have to, she needs some sleep." Arthur said as he took his son out of the crib and walked him over to the window, staring out onto the moonlit city.

"I don't know where I would be if I hadn't met your mom, you and her are the best things that have ever happened to me. She is the only woman that has ever loved me, ya know; cos your dad has this thing, something where I laugh when I shouldn't, it scares a lot of people away, stops people from wanting to get close, but not your mom, your mom is a very special lady." Arthur told Alex, as he picked up the pacifier, and put it back in his son's mouth.

"I promise that I will never let this city treat you like it did me, I promise that I will never let it beat you down, or make you think that you aren't good enough; I'm gonna make sure that you have everything you ever need and want. I never had a dad, but I'm going to be the best dad I can for you, and I promise that I will marry your mom as soon as I can. I want to give her the biggest wedding I can, with all those fairy tale things, and a big fancy dress, and me in one of those really nice suits. What do you think? Do ya think your mom would like that?" Arthur asked, smiling down at the wriggling little creature that was cradled in his arms.

"He thinks that his mom doesn't need all that rubbish, and she certainly doesn't need some big poufy dress that makes her look like a meringue. She also doesn't need anything fairy tale; all she needs is the man she loves, a registry office, a celebrant, and she will be happy." (Y/n) said from the bed, yawning as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"And unless I'm very much mistaken, I think your son needs feeding, so you better give him to me, daddy." (Y/n) told Arthur, taking Alex from his arms as he sat down on the bed next to her.

"So........ er, you don't want all that big fancy wedding then?" Arthur asked, looking at (Y/n) as she nursed Alex.

"I thought that you knew me better than that by now." (Y/n) chuckled, as she looked up from her son.

"If you really want to make an honest woman of me, how about me, you, Alex and Gary go down to city hall next week, and I can officially become Misses Arthur Fleck?" (Y/n) asked, pulling Arthur closer to her so that she could nestle into his side.

"Well, kid, what do you think, is that ok with you." Arthur asked, chuckling as Alex gripped hold of his finger.

"I think that might be a yes." (Y/n) said, as Arthur rested his head on hers, knowing that finally, after everything the world had thrown at him, he had been given something that he always feared he would never have, and what he had was love.