Prestidigitation - Part 1 - Arthur x Reader

First part of an imagine for Raegan-o_0. Hope you all enjoy.

Arthur furrowed his brow as he finally reached the top of the mountain of stairs. The sounds of laughter and childlike OOOOOOs and AHHHHHs filling the air. It was true that some days, when he finally dragged himself into work, he did hear laughter. But usually that was from Randall finding his own jokes far too amusing. Most of the time though, it was just a silence, or muffled conversations between workmates. Arthur always finding it strange that a bunch of people, himself included, that were employed to wear silly costumes and face paint. Employed to jump around and act silly, to make children laugh and smile, could be so very quiet and dower in normal life. So now, as he stood at the door the laughter growing once again, Arthur was beginning to wonder if he was going to walk into the changing room and find his fellow clowns puffing on something they shouldn't.

Taking a deep breath, Arthur pushed his way through the door. His eyes growing wide, as he was greeted by a cloud of smoke. Arthur shocked to think that he might have been right, until out through the smog came a woman. A beautiful woman that looked him up and down. A smile pulling at her lips, as she stepped closer to him. Arthur wondering if it were he in fact had been smoking something that he shouldn't.

"Ah, a volunteer for my next trick!" The woman announced, as she took him by the hand and pulled him further into the room. The breath catching in Arthur's throat, as he saw all the others staring back at him.

"Now, for my last trick, I would ask my lovely volunteer to just look in his inside jacket pocket, he might find that he has something that's not his." The woman continued. Arthur quickly reaching into the pocket. His eyes growing wide as he felt something that had definitely not been there when he had left his apartment. Gary laughing and jumping down from seat, to make his way over to his taller friend, as Arthur pulled his watch from his pocket. The others groaning about the performance finishing, as they made their way back their mirrors to finish doing what they really should have been doing.

"How did you do that, (Y/n)? How did you get my watch? How did you get it into Arthur's pocket? You never went anywhere near his pockets. You never went near me." The little man laughed, as took the piece of jewellery from the bemused Arthur's hand. Arthur not sure what he had missed but hoping that someone would eventually explain everything to him.

"Now come on. You know that a magician never reveals their secrets." (Y/n) chuckled, as she looked between Gary and the still dumbfounded Arthur.

"So, you're Arthur? Gary has told me all about you. Its nice to finally meet you." (Y/n) continued, as she held out her hand for Arthur to take. Arthur finding himself wondering if she could make his hand disappear as he placed his palm into hers.

"Oh, yeah............of course. I should properly introduce you two. (Y/n) this is Arthur. Arthur, this is the magician I have been telling you about. This is "Presto". She does..........well she does magic............"

"I prefer to call it prestidigitation................."

"Presti digi what..........?" Arthur blurted out. A hot blush creeping up onto his cheeks, as Gary and the magician laughed.

"Prestidigitation. Basically, it's just a smart ass way of describing doing a magic trick by hand. Performing sleight of hand." (Y/n) explained, as she suddenly made an ace of hearts card appear from nowhere. Arthur gasping slightly, as she handed him the card, and it turned into a Joker.

"But really, it just means that I am good at distracting people." The magician added. Arthur having to nod in agreement with the statement. Sure, that her smile could distract him from anything. That the mischievous glint in her eyes, could make him forget the world.

Arthur could now recall Gary having told him about a friend of his called "Presto". A magician that had been travelling for a number of years with various circuses around the country. A magician that the little man had finally persuaded to give Ha- Has a chance while winter had stopped the circus from travelling. A magician that the little man would be bringing in to see Hoyt about a job today. But Arthur had always thought that the magician would be a man. The clown sure that he had never really heard of a female conjurer before. But as she stood before him, he was very happy that she was very much a female.

"You know, the Joker card is a very interesting one........." (Y/n) told Arthur, as she tapped the colourful card in his palm.

"Most people overlook it. Discard it. Push it back into the box. But in truth, a Joker can be a very useful card. Extremely beneficial, if you are playing the right game. It often represents the highest trump. In the game Euchre, it is considered the "commanding card". In the Chinese card game Dou dizhu, the Jokers are used as the highest value cards. The two Jokers together, are the only unbeatable play. You see, things that are often overlooked, are more important than people realise." (Y/n) continued, as she placed her palm over Arthur's. The magician removing it to reveal that two Jokers now sat there.

"Ahem!" A cough came. The sudden noise causing Arthur, (Y/n) and Gary to look around to see Hoyt stood in the doorway.

"If you've finished, you two can come into the office and talk about a job." Hoyt huffed before leaving. Gary rolling his eyes, as he took (Y/n)'s hand and led her to the door.

"Oh, Arthur. You will look after my Joker's for me, won't you? They're important to me. You see, I appreciate the overlooked, and underestimated." (Y/n) called out, as she and Gary left the room. Arthur nodding once again, as he placed the cards in his pocket. A large smile pulling at his lips, as he made his way over to his locker and took a seat on the bench. The clown not sure what to think of the magician or her words. But hoping that she would be able to use her sleight of hand on Hoyt. That she would be able to weave her magic and get herself a job.