A Chance Meeting - Arthur x Reader

As the heavens opened Arthur ran up the small flight of stairs and into the imposing Victorian building, he hadn't really noticed where he was rushing into but as the first clap of thunder rang out, he was just glad that he had found shelter.

Arthur couldn't quite remember why he had made his way downtown, maybe it was because the morning had been finer than most, maybe it was that he just couldn't stand being cooped up in his apartment for one minute longer, or maybe it was that he was looking for inspiration for new jokes; but whatever it was, he knew he was already wet and it was a long way home.

As he shook the rain from his jacket and brushed his wet hair back from his face, Arthur lifted his eyes to see where he was, Gotham Museum. Arthur hadn't been in this old place since he was a kid on a day excursion with school; he smiled as he remember how he had been fascinated by all the artefacts from countries that at the time he had never even heard of, he could remember how he had listened intently to the man that showed them some of the old objects, telling him and the other children about the great cultures and civilisations that they had come from, and how he had wished that he could go back in time and see the world as it had been then; but all that was a very long time ago, and since that original visit as a small child he had never set foot again in the vast complex of rooms and corridors.

Turning around, Arthur looked back out of the main doors as another flash of lightening lit up the dark grey sky outside, deciding that now may just be the perfect time to wander the warm old building and reacquaint himself with one of the few happy memories from his childhood.

As he slowly made his way from room to room, exploring the world that was beyond his little life in Gotham, he couldn't help but notice the group of children that scurried around the display cabinets like little mice, pointing at objects before being called over by their teacher to come and sit down and listen to the old man that had gathered some things to show the excited little creatures. Arthur smiled sadly to himself as he realised that he had been like that all those years ago, wide eyed and eager to learn, fascinated by what the world had to offer, full of hope until it had become apparent that all the world had to offer him was a lonely and dark life in a city that he had never left. 

Making his way to the next floor, he found himself outside the rooms that he could recall being most fascinated by as a young boy; there was something about the Egyptian collection at the museum that had spoken to him, it wasn't just the mummies or the large monolithic sculptures of the great Pharaohs, it was the little things, the personal things that made him realise that despite how far away in time and distance these people were, they were just people like him, living their lives as best they could.

After looking around some of the displays, Arthur took a seat on a small bench that faced a huge figure of someone that must have been of great importance, and even though the sculpture was imposing, there was something about the face of the ancient man that seemed to smile down on him.

"Amazing isn't it." A voice said softly, causing Arthur to jump a little as he turned to see the woman that had just come to sit by his side, her eyes looking up to the features of the great stone bust.

"P-p-pardon?" Arthur asked, stunned as the woman turned to face him, a gracious smile on her beautiful features.

"Amazing isn't it, what they could do all those millennia ago with only the simplest tools; but I suppose if you are a great Pharaoh you can afford to get the best artisans to come and work for you." The woman said with a chuckle as she turned her gaze back to the statue.

"It.....it seems like you know him." Arthur said, his green eyes taking in every aspect of the woman that sat by his side.

"Oh, he and I are old friends, you could say I know a little bit about him." She told Arthur, sighing as she seemed to give the same enigmatic smile as the statue gave them.

"Who.... who is he?" Arthur enquired, feeling a little foolish that he didn't already know.

"Well, the gentleman depicted before you is the Pharaoh Ramesses II, or Ramesses the Great, which ever you prefer. Third king of the 19th dynasty; his 66 year reign is considered by many to be the height of Egyptian power and glory. Builder of some of the most glorious monuments in Egypt, the best, in my humble opinion being the great temples of Abu Simbel. The father of over one hundred children, many of which he outlived, and husband to nearly two hundred wives and concubines. He was a shameless, and highly skilled self-publicist who erected more statues than any other Egyptian King, an act which ensured that he was worshipped as a god for centuries after his death."  The woman explained, sounding as though she was talking fondly about someone she had known for years. 

"You, you seem to know all about this stuff." Arthur chuckled softly as the woman smiled.

"I should hope so, I happen to be the curator of the Egyptian wing, I try and learn as much as I can about our displays, just in case I get an interested visitor asking a question. I'm Doctor (Y/l/n) by the way, but you can call me (Y/n)." The woman said, holding her hand out for Arthur to shake.

"Oh, I didn't mean to keep you. My....my name is Arthur." Arthur told her apologetically, as he shook her hand.

"You're not keeping me at all, Arthur. I saw you earlier and you looked a little lost, and when you came to sit in front of my old friend here, I have to admit that there is a little part of me that wanted to show off. (Y/n) said with a soft chuckle as Arthur finally let go of her hand.

"I haven't been here since I was a child, but I remember that I liked it in here." Arthur told (Y/n), feeling sad that she had got up from the bench.

"Well Arthur you have very good taste, and if you ever feel like a private tour of my little wing, please feel free to call me." (Y/n) said, handing a shocked Arthur her card.

"Or even if you don't want a tour, you could still call me." (Y/n) told a blushing Arthur as she brushed down her dress pants and pushed a few loose strands of hair behind her ear.

"Now, as much as I would prefer to stay talking with you, I'm afraid that I have explain the finer, and gorier points of mummification to a rather rambunctious class of 10 year old's; but don't forget that old Ramesses and I would like to see you again." (Y/n) winked, before giving him a small wave and leaving a shocked Arthur on the bench.

Arthur looked down at the card with (Y/n)'s name and cell number on it. "Well, do you think I should call her?" Arthur asked the ever mysteriously smiling Pharaoh before him.

"Yeah, I thought you might say that." Arthur said, chuckling to himself as he placed (Y/n)'s card in his pocket; knowing that as soon as he got the chance, he, (Y/n) and Ramesses would be seeing one another again.