The Jester - Arthur/Joker x Reader

So, I'm having another one of those strange flights of fancy with Arthur/Joker in a completely different context. This is a Robin Hoodesque imagine, with Arthur as a character called The Jester. I love the old legend and thought that it would lend itself to a wonderful imagine, so I have kept most of the elements of the legend but given it my own little twist. This part is a lead up to a second part which will be all Arthur/Joker x Reader. Hope you enjoy. 🏹🌳⚔️🍁

The merchant whistled happily to himself as he and his cart travelled through the great Sherwood Forest; the day was warm, yet under the vast canopy of the trees, it was cool and pleasant, lulling the old man into a false sense of security.

He along with everyone else in Nottingham and the surrounding area had heard of an outlaw that had taken up residence in the huge forest; the bandit, who was simply known as "The Jester", because of the strange face paint that he used to cover his features, took a toll from any rich traveller that dared to step foot in the woods, and the more that the traveller had, the more that would be taken. Despite this, and despite the fact that the Sheriff's own men had already been sent to try and locate The Jester and his men, without much success, the merchant had decided that going through the forest would save him time, and given that some of his products were perishable, the quicker he got to his destination the more he would get for his goods.

As the old horse dragged the heavy wooden cart down the path that wound its way through the trees, the only sounds that the merchant could hear were the rumble of the cart wheels, the occasional whinnying of his horse, and the birds that fluttered from branch to branch.

"Ho, Ugly!" A chuckling voice suddenly called out from somewhere high in the dense canopy, causing the old man to pull tight on the reins, the horse stopping dead in its tracks.

"Now, who would be foolish enough to think that they can go through my forest without paying the toll?" The voice asked, as the merchant looked around, trying to locate the source of the voice.

"I-I-If you...... if you rob me, you have my word that I will report this to King John himself." The merchant nervously warned, his eyes widening as the leaves around him began to rustle.

"Oh, I'm so scared! You and everyone else that has had to pay my toll has reported me to either the Sheriff or the King, yet as you see, I am still here." The voice said mockingly, as the atmosphere around the man seemed to grow thicker with every word the mysterious voice spoke.

Suddenly, seemingly appearing from out of nowhere, a figure donned in green and brown, a large hood pulled low over their head, emerged to face the merchant.

The old man fell back in his seat as the figure that held a long staff and had a large bow and a quiver of arrows slung across their back, stalked forward.

"You're....... you're........ you're The Jester." The old man gasped, shocked as the figure pulled down the hood to reveal the painted face beneath.

"I see my reputation proceeds me, how gratifying. Well if you know me, then you will also know that you must pay the toll to travel these woods." Jester said, pointing their staff at the man that was desperately trying not to physically tremble.

"But I ....... I have nothing to give, I am but a poor man trying to sell what few wares I have." The man told Jester, slowly trying to get back to his seat.

"How dare you lie to me, Gregor Perk. I know exactly who you are; you are one of the richest merchants there is in Nottingham, so don't think that your simple garb and your protestations of poverty will fool me. You will pay the toll, and you will be happy that I allow you to leave my woods with your paltry life." The Jester growled menacingly as he drew up alongside the heavily burdened cart.

"Now to see what goods you are carrying. Gentlemen....... if you will please." The Jester called out, the merchants eyes widening as men appeared from the trees all holding weapons, ready to attack at any moment should the merchant try something foolish, each man's face covered with a strange painted mask to conceal their identities.

"Ere, Jester, come and take a look at this." A large man called out, as he jumped onto the back of the wagon and pulled back the canopy that covered the old man's goods.

As The Jester rounded the wagon, his eyes fell on the vast array of goods; not only were there bolts of fabric, there were furs, weapons and also food; but it was the small chest that concealed a large amount of gold that really caught The Jester's eye.

"So, you have nothing?" Jester asked sarcastically, as the large man dragged the merchant to the back of the cart, the old man now shaking as the painted outlaw pulled out a dagger and pushed the tip against his neck.

"I think that we are going to have to make an example of you, Gregor Perk." Jester said coldly, as he turned to face the group of men.

"We are taking everything, the cart, the horse, all of the goods, everything; and I want Gregor here stripped and made to leave my forest, forced to walk back to Nottingham in nothing but his skin." The Jester declared, his men rushing forward to fulfill the outlaws demands.

                                                                     >>-------------------------------<<

"You.......you can't do this. The merchant stammered, trying to cover his nakedness against the world as The Jester's men laughed, pushing him towards the edge of the great forest.

"Oh, I think that you will find that I can, Gregor Perk. You chose to try and lie to me, chose to think that I was a fool; so, I want you to waddle your way back to Nottingham, with your pathetic excuse for a manhood tucked firmly between your legs, and tell everyone that this is what happens when you choose to try and travel through The Jester's woods, and attempt to not pay the toll." Jester growled, the flat their sword smacking Gregor firmly on the naked flesh of his backside, before the man ran off as fast as his short fat legs could carry him.

"Do ya think he will go all tha way ta London and tell the King." The big man asked, as he came to stand by the side of the smaller outlaw.

"And what if he does, Matthew? What cares the so called King about us; he will simply tell Gregor to take the matter up with the Sheriff, and not bother him with such mundane matters from the provinces; the Sheriff will grow angry that Gregor went over his head straight to the King, but he will eventually send guards that don't want to be here, who will only take a tertiary look before leaving again." The Jester said, leaning against their staff, chuckling as Gregor nearly fell over his own feet as he continued to run back to the city.

"But what if he sends the Kings men, or even Gisborne? We's causin trouble; maybe we should lie low fa a while." Matthew said, as he looked down at the outlaw next to him.

"Let him send the Kings men, let him send whoever he wants, the likes of Guy of Gisborne do not scare me, I am more than willing to take on that assassin and any other man that comes our way; this is our forest Matthew, and we will continue to take our toll. Now take the food to the villages, and give every household one piece of gold, but keep the cloth, I will dispose of that and use the money to procure extra food for the men and their families, keep the weapons, and give any man that does not already possess one a sword. I want our men well-armed, just in case." Jester said, not turning his gaze from the direction of the city, as Matthew walked off to carry out the orders.

"Send me Gisborne, John; and I will prove just how good The Jester truly is." Jester said quietly, before disappearing back into the forest to join his men.