Schoolboy crush - Part 1 - Arthur x Reader

Arthur was transfixed. It wasn't because of the history lesson that was currently going on. Because in truth, he had drown that out a long time ago. He was transfixed because (Y/f/n) (Y/l/n) was in this class. A rough, tough kid from the wrong side of the tracks. But also, the smartest and best looking girl in school.

She was a bit of an enigma. On one hand, she should be the captain of the cheer squad and girlfriend of the quarterback. On the other, she should have been the captain of the chess and debating teams. A class president. Then there was the fact that she could act like she should be sat at the back of the class, causing no end of trouble and failing even shop class. But (Y/n) was none of those things. She was the dark loner. A quiet riddle that even though they had spent years together going through various schools, most knew little about. A girl that could surprise you when you left expected it.

Arthur had liked (Y/n) for the longest time. She had a little crazy streak that he loved. A streak that he himself wished he could emulate. And she had a wicked smile that would appear whenever it was obvious that someone was underestimating her, and she knew that she was going to take great delight in proving them wrong. With both barrels. A girl with a wonderful habit of making any teacher look like a fool.

(Y/n) had come to his rescue on a number of occasions. When the bullies seemed to be at their worst, (Y/n) would appear to slay the dragons. Often leaving Arthur feeling like a damsel in distress. But he didn't mind. For she would always help him from the floor, brush him down, make sure that he didn't have any scrapes, and then sent him on his way telling him to be more careful next time. And each time she did, she would smile. Arthur losing his heart a little more.

Arthur couldn't help but smile as he watched her. She seemed as bored as everyone else. Though it appeared that she had found something to keep her entertained, as she scribbled frantically in her notebook.

"Miss (Y/l/n)." The teacher suddenly called out. All those not listening suddenly siting to attention as the teacher stared at (Y/n).

"Yes sir?" (Y/n) replied. Arthur doing his best not to laugh as she seemed to almost yawn from boredom.

"Were you listening to what I was saying?" Mister Taylor, the teacher continued, as he now glared at his pupil.

"Of course, sir. I always find your class particularly riveting." (Y/n) announced. An amused ripple of laughter going around the room. Everyone knowing that she had been listening about as much as they had.

"Well, that's good. Then you will be able to tell me just what I was talking about?" Taylor smiled. Expecting for once that (Y/n) would splutter and have to apologise.

"You were talking about the Gettysburg Address, sir." (Y/n) told him smugly, as she leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms. Another laugh coming from her classmates as it became clear that she was right. Much to the teacher's annoyance.

"Then, Miss (Y/l/n). You will be able to tell me all about it and give me a few lines from the address itself. Won't you?" Taylor retorted. The older man eyeing his unruly pupil. Hoping that this time he would be able to put her on the spot. But Arthur could see the wicked smile that he loved so much, slowly creep across her lips. The quiet young man knowing that despite what their teacher might think, (Y/n) as always, had the upper hand.

"Of course.............." (Y/n) began. Taylor as well as the rest of her class listening as she rattled off information and quotes, verbatim. Like she was reading the words from a textbook out loud.

Suddenly, the bell for the end of the day rang out. Everyone rushing to push their books into their bags. All of them desperate to escape school.

"Okay. I want all of you to read chapter five of your textbooks. And if any of you have any more questions about your final assignments, I will be in my room today until five thirty. Everyone can go, except for Miss (Y/l/n). I would like a word with you." Taylor announced. A loud Oh-Ho going out as (Y/n) rolled her eyes and slumped back into her chair. 

"(Y/n)." The teacher began, as everyone finally left the room. The grey haired man taking a seat on the desk in front of her.

"Why must you continue to act in such a fashion? We are all well aware of just how bright you are. And I hate the idea of you ruining any further chances that you may have. I heard that you have been offered a full scholarship to any college you wish. You only have a few months left at this school. So, for yourself. Please go out of here on top, rather than just coasting." Taylor continued. Arthur's eyes growing wide at the thought that (Y/n) would be able to leave Gotham as soon as they had finished high school, and he would never see her again.

He hadn't meant to listen. He had only wanted to see if he could talk to (Y/n) before she went home. But now, Arthur had a deadline. He had a few months to pluck up the courage to say thank you for all she had done. And confess how much she meant to him.

"Well, well, well. If it ain't the freak. Listening at doors like a creepy weirdo again, Fleck?" A chuckling, mocking voice came. Arthur shuddering at the sound of McKenzie and his cronies.

"I........I wasn't listening. I.......I was just waiting for (Y/n). I was going to walk her home." Arthur spluttered out. Saying the first thing that came to his mind, and then instantly regretting it. Knowing full well, that (Y/n) would come out of the room at any moment and deny that she had ever agreed to him walking her anywhere.

"Yeah right. As if (Y/n) would want the resident weirdo walking her home. She might be a bit on the dark, creepy side, but she can still do so much better than you." McKenzie huffed. As he and the rest of his boys moved closer. Arthur expecting that at any moment he would find himself on the floor.

"What is it with you and your girlfriends, McKenzie? Don't you ever get sick of bullying people smarter than yourself? I thought that you and the rest of the rats scurried off when you heard the bell. So, do us all a favour, and go crawl back into your holes." (Y/n) hissed as she came out of the room. Moving to stand behind Arthur.

"Hi, Arthur. So nice of you to wait for me. I'm ready for you to walk me home now." (Y/n) smiled. Taking a shocked Arthur's arm. Bumping into McKenzie as she pushed passed him and his entourage.

"You ok, Arthur?" She asked, pulling him around a corner out of sight. (Y/n) making sure that Arthur hadn't received any of his usual lumps and bumps.

"H-h-how did you.......How did you know?" Arthur stuttered. Blushing as (Y/n) pushed his hair back behind his ears.

"You're not the only one that can listen at doorways, Arthur Fleck. Now, lets get you out of here before McKenzie's last braincell has an idea to follow us." (Y/n) replied. Taking hold of his arm once again as they made their way from the school grounds.

"I........I'm sorry. I didn't mean to listen at the door. I really was just wanting to talk to you." Arthur explained apologetically. The nervous boy looking up at (Y/n), as she began to laugh.

"Don't worry that pretty little head of yours about it, Arthur. I don't care. And as we told that braindead jock, McKenzie that you were walking me home, I suppose that you better do just that. Anyway, I've never had a nice guy, well, any guy, walk me home before. It will be quite the novelty." (Y/n) told him. Arthur feeling his heart skip a beat as he felt her grip his arm a little tighter.