Open and shut case - Part 14 - Joker x Reader

(Y/n) jumped out of the car and raced towards the hospital's doors. The last of her toast hanging from her lips. The lawyer sure that by the time this case was over she would have an ulcer, either that, or an aneurism. She knew that she shouldn't have made her appointment for so early in the morning. But Arthur deserved to know. He needed to know, that so far, she had been able to achieve what she had promised. After that, she would go to the office and give Rowan and Isabella the good news. She would inform the pair that all of them had a very long six months ahead of them. That between the three of them they would have to perform a small miracle. (Y/n) finding herself chuckling slightly, as she thought of herself walking across water. Her giddiness about being able to tell Arthur that she had achieved something that she had promised. That she had been able to win at least this small battle, almost making her laugh out loud. The attorney having to stop and straighten herself. To put back on her professional air, before she walked into the imposing structure.

"Fleck." (Y/n) said, as she signed in at the security desk. Brushing the crumbs from the paper that had fallen from her blouse, from her toast. Ignoring the mutters from the security guards and orderlies. The attorney well aware that very few people seemed to think that Arthur deserved a defence. Or maybe they just didn't want to admit it that he did. (Y/n) sure that despite what they may have others believe, that more than one of the men present, might have worn the clown masks that had taken over the city.

"This way............" A tall, slender man dressed in an orderly uniform grunted at her. The two making their way through the clinically white corridors. (Y/n) sure that just that would be enough the drive someone crazy. The lack of any other colour. Of anything different. Anything stimulating, always making her feel uncomfortable. And that, along with the smell of strong chemicals, and the sounds of the odd patient shouting or screaming, she was sure could not really be good for anyone.

As they stopped outside the room, (Y/n) couldn't help but feel that giddy, childlike glee growing inside her again. You knew that it was ridiculous to feel this way. To be so delighted by something that she had done before; something that was her job. But this, in this case anyway, would show Arthur that someone cared. That unlike everyone else, she actually wanted to do something for him. That she actually..........that she didn't want anything bad to happen to him. (Y/n) feeling slightly shocked by the sudden realisation that she really did feel something for Arthur. And it was the kind of feeling that went far beyond an attorney, client relationship.

"Fleck." The tall orderly grunted again. Joker turning from the wire filled, bar covered window to look at (Y/n). A smile pulling at his lips, as he took another drag of his cigarette. The smoke drifting around him, as he and the attorney patiently waited for the other man to leave the room and lock the door behind him.

As soon as the door finally clicked locked, without thinking, (Y/n) ran over to Arthur and took him into her arms. Holding him tight. The cigarette dropping from his fingers, and bouncing on the floor, as the killer clown reciprocated. His own arms wrapping themselves around her form. Joker not quite sure what was going on, but not really caring either. Not about to turn down this show of affection. Not about to reject the touch of another human being. Joker sensing her tremble a little, as they just stood together for a moment. The clown feeling his heart drop for a moment, as she pulled away just enough so that she could look at him.

"I did it, Arthur. I got the judge to agree to having your case heard outside Gotham. And he also agreed to give us another six months to prepare. I know that it may not sound like much, but it's a start. It means that we actually have a chance now. That we can do everything that we need to do to ensure that you get a fair trial." (Y/n) explained. A huge smile pulling at her lips, as she informed her client of her little victory. The two just looking at one another for a moment, before Joker crashed his lips into hers. Her shock, replaced by the need for him to not to stop. (Y/n) finding herself melting into his lips. Not sure the last time that she had been this close to a man. Not sure of the last time that a man had kissed her. And despite the fact that this had to be the most unprofessional thing that she had ever done, she never wanted it to end.

"Sorry........I shouldn't have done that...........No one has ever cared so much before..........." Joker said, as the pair finally moved apart. (Y/n) pushing herself out of his arms and straightening out her clothes. Inwardly chastising herself for allowing this to happen. For wanting him to do it again.

"It............its alright Arthur. I.........I can understand. Emotions can make us do things.............." (Y/n) replied quietly. Giving him a reassuring smile, before she made her way over the table and took a seat, gesturing for her client to join her. Doing her best to settle the emotions that were bombarding her mind.

"What it means, is that we now have time for the private investigator to do their job. For the psychiatrists that I want you to see, to have enough time to properly evaluate you. For me to be able to study everything. To go over the reports, the statements. It means that we have the chance to get a jury that isn't prejudice against you. And as I said before, you are going to have to be seeing a lot more of me. So, why don't we go over a few more things now? Tell me anything and everything that you think might be important. Even if you don't think its important, tell me that too.............." (Y/n) told him, as she pulled out her little recorder and set it down on the table in front of him.