A Pirates Life for Me - Part 2

Second part of this strange imagine. I hope you all enjoy 😁🤡⚔️

"Tortuga, Mister Ross! I need rum, lots and lots of rum." Arthur stated, as he made his way up to the helm, and taking hold of the wheel, steering the ship to their destination.

                                                                  >>---------------------------------<<

Arthur sat at his table in the tavern, drinking from his tankard of rum, his hood pulled up over his head to conceal his features; normally the dreaded painted pirate was never seen without his distinctive and feared painted face, but on the few times that he and his crew set foot on dry land, he liked the anonymity of his unknown visage, an anonymity that enabled him to glean information from the many buccaneers that became distracted by rum and women, causing them to have looser tongues than they normally would. Sometimes he would be with the others, drinking and gambling, enjoying the little time that he had on solid ground; but this time was different, this time he felt the need to be alone with his thoughts.

As he drank, his eyes fell on a commotion across the room, a large crowd of men were gathered around a table, all jockeying for a better position; as Arthur's curiosity finally got the better of him, he made his way through the men until he could see who all the attention was on, and there, to his surprise, sat an older man desperately gulping at the contents of his tankard.

"I tell ya lads, it was the Devil's Own; that cursed ship has been in my nightmares ever since I set foot on me first ship. That damn vessel cut through the water like nothing I've ever seen, it was on us before we could do anythin. I'm telling ya, our ship stopped dead in the water, even though the wind was blowing at a fair knot, we were boarded so quickly we had no time to hide or arm ourselves." The old man said, shaking his head, terror showing in his eyes.

"But it was the captain that really scared us, she called herself (y/f/n) (y/l/n), that woman is evil I tell ye. Those eyes of hers are burned into me psyche; she told er men to slaughter me crew and then bring her their souls. I watched as er men killed each and every last living being, pulling their souls from their lifeless corpses. The Devil's Own is back with a vengeance, ya better all be careful lads. I lost me crew and me ship to that damn creature." The old man said, taking another gulp of his rum.

"How did ya get away then?" One of the men in the crowd asked.

"The captain asked if I'd tell the story, I said I would; she seemed to like the fact that I was the only one that didn't beg for me life." The old man told him, shuddered as he stared up into the faces of his amassed brethren.

"I think ya spinning us a yarn old man, too much rum that's what I think it is." Another man called out.

The old man became indignant. "Making it up? Ya think I'm making it up? Well am I making this up?" The old man said, as he pulled up his sleeve and showed the men a fresh brand on his arm of a skull with large devil horns. Arthur couldn't believe it, after all these years surely it couldn't be the same woman. She was older than him when he met her all those years ago; no, the old man must be mistaken, if the Devil's Own really was still sailing it must be a new crew, a new captain.

The few days of respite on Tortuga, as the crew replenished supplies aboard the Joker didn't give Arthur any of its normal pleasures; normally the rum would flow freely, and he would watch in amusement as his crew took full advantage of everything that the pirate port had to offer, but this time was different. After the revelations of the old man in the tavern, Arthur found himself incapable of thinking of anything else other than The Devil's Own, and its captain.

His desire to be back at sea was overwhelming, he missed the sea breeze flowing through his hair, and the sea spray against his cheeks; the captain had been right all those years ago when she told him that he would never feel more at home than when he was at sea, and now that the Joker was pushing off from land, he felt a wave of relief flow over him.