Let's hear it for the boy - Arthur x Reader

Now I know that Joker is set in 1981 and the song I have included wasn't released until 84, but I hope that you will forgive me for this glitch in the space, time continuum 😁. I include lyrics from 'Let's hear it for the boy' by Deniece Williams.

Arthur couldn't help but chuckle to himself as he watched (Y/n) dance around his apartment, the music from the radio filling the room as she did her best to clean up the mess he so desperately tried not to leave behind himself when he knew she was coming over, which by now was nearly every day, much to Arthur's delight.

The two had known one another for years; right from the first day of school the two had made the strangest friends, Arthur the quiet, shy introvert, the object of every bully in every school they ever attended, and (Y/n) the confident, feisty, firecracker, the girl that would never back down from anything.

Right from the start Arthur had become her shadow, her sidekick, the Doctor Watson to her Sherlock Holmes, the Clyde to her Bonnie, (Y/n) becoming not only his friend but also his greatest defence against not only the bullies at school, but also the abuse at home, the two escaping to their secret place whenever life at home got too much for Arthur.

Arthur had been devastated when (Y/n) told him that she was having to leave Gotham because her father had taken a job in another country; it was their last year in high school and the two had barely ever been apart since the first day they met, the loss as the two said goodbye obviously effecting the pair as they held one another for what both believed would be the last time.

After (Y/n) had gone, life had gone from bad to worse, Arthur's world spiralling down into a long dark tunnel, and even though she had written to him all the time, not having her by his side, had affected him more than he could ever have know.

He couldn't believe it the day that he had set eyes on her again, the two meeting as Arthur performed at a party for a young boy that he found out was (Y/n)'s nephew, the pair instantly picking up from where they had left off so many years before, the years of separation seeming to disappear as the two spoke.

Arthur was so happy to see that time had not changed her spirit, that she was still his firecracker, that she was still his most stalwart protector; but one thing had changed and there was nothing Arthur could do to avoid it, she had become more beautiful than he could ever imagine, and what may have been platonic in their childhood, had now turned into full blown love for Arthur.

He had hated to say anything in the beginning, fearing that his declarations of love would scare her away, the idea of losing her again more than he could bare; but one night as they sat in the small apartment that Arthur used to hate, an apartment that was now his favourite place when (Y/n) was with him, the two laughing at something Murray had just said on his show, Arthur had let it slip, his feelings and emotions flowing from him like a waterfall that thundered and roared as his words spilled from his mouth, unstoppable, untameable.

He hadn't known what to expect as he finished his non stop torrent of words, but as (Y/n) sat next to him, wide eyed and in a slight state of shock, his heart had broken as he believed that at any moment she would bolt for the door, never to be seen again, Arthur closing his eyes as he waited for the inevitable bang of the door; instead his eyes flew open as he felt her lips on his, the kiss so sweet, so true, so filled with love and the promise of wonderful things to come that he knew that his life, his world, were both going to become bigger, brighter and more glorious than he could ever have dreamed.

Suddenly (Y/n) squealed, a new song coming on the radio causing her to spin around and look at him, Arthur staring at her wide eyed as she began to sing the words of the song to him.

"My baby he don't talk sweet
He ain't got much to say
But he loves me, loves me, loves me
I know that he loves me anyway
"

Arthur laughed as (Y/n) almost jumped on the sofa next to him, her hands gripping the collar of his old white shirt as she continued to sing,

"And maybe he don't dress fine
But I don't really mind
Because every time he pulls me near
I just want to cheer
"

(Y/n) suddenly jumped to her feet, standing in front of Arthur as she clapped along with the chorus, her body swaying as she smiled at the man she loved, the man she had once lost, the man she was determined never to lose again.

"Let's hear it for the boy
Let's give the boy a hand
Let's hear it for my baby
You know you go to understand
"

Pulling Arthur to his feet to join her, (Y/n) snaked her arms around his neck, pulling him close as he followed her lead, his body moving in time with hers, as the two lost themselves in the music.

"Whoa, maybe he's no Romeo
But he's my lovin' one-man show
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa
Let's hear it for the boy
"

Without warning, (Y/n) reached into Arthur back pocket, pulling out the seemingly forever empty wallet that lived there, jokingly flicking through the contents which were more pharmacy receipts than dollar notes.

"My baby may not be rich
He's watchin' every dime
But he loves me, loves me, loves
We always have a real good time
"

Arthur spun around trying to keep up with (Y/n), the two laughing as he fell back onto the sofa, pulling (Y/n) down with him so that she was now sat on his lap, Arthur blushing the brightest shade of red as she snuggled into his shoulder, her affections still more than he could ever have believed were possible.

"And maybe he sings off key
But that's alright by me
Because what he does he does so well
Makes me wanna yell
"

With a single soft kiss, the song was forgotten, as Arthur wrapped his arms around her waist pulling (Y/n) close, wanting the moment to last forever, wanting the kiss to never end.

"I love you Arthur." (Y/n) whispered, as the pair's lips separated, her fingers softly brushing across the skin on his cheekbone before they continued up into his hair, Arthur's eyes fluttering shut as her touch made him feel calm and loved, all the terrible things that he had been through seeming to vanish from his mind as finally he knew he was loved, finally knew he was adored by someone as much as he adored them.

"You'll always be my boy." (Y/n) told him, the words spilling into his mouth from her lips as they ghosted over his, his thoughts and his mind that once were so confused, so distracted, so mixed up with what was reality and what was a figment of his imagination, were now clear; reality was what he wanted now, he no longer cared for an imaginary world, for no world that his mind could come up with could possibly be as wonderful as the truth that was now holding his head against her chest.

"I don't ever want to be anything other than your boy." Arthur replied, smiling as he felt (Y/n) smile as she kissed the top of his head.

"Then my boy, come and dance with your girl." (Y/n) told him, as she stood up and reached out her hand for him to take, the two swaying together as they looked into each other's eyes, the music no longer important as they danced instead to the music of their hearts, a music that only they could heard, a music that would always be just theirs, that would always be just a boys, and his girls.