All I want for Christmas - Arthur x Reader

I know that it is a little early, but I would like to wish everyone a very happy, and safe, silly season. No matter where you are from or what you believe, I hope that you are able to all spend time with your loved ones. And despite everything that has happened over this terrible year, that you all have chance to enjoy yourselves. I thought that the only gift I could give you all was a little Arthur imagine, so here it is.

Arthur sat at the kitchen table, his head firmly in his hands. He had done his best to save all he could, but the few crumpled up bills and some lose change were not going to buy (Y/n) anything that Arthur thought that she deserved.

For him, she ought to have diamonds and pearls, gold and champagne. Yet he would be lucky to be able afford a cheap Chinese watch from one of the many street vendors that plied their wares on any number of corners.

He hated the idea that he couldn't even scrape together enough to buy her a real Christmas present. That he couldn't afford to take her to the best hotel in some nice city for a weekend, or even just enjoy an intimate candlelit evening at a elegant restaurant. He hated that he couldn't provide for her, give her a nice home or be able to show her just how much he cared.

(Y/n) had always told him that material things didn't mean anything to her. That there blossoming relationship was a partnership and she didn't need him to take care of her. She had told him that she had a strange love for his shabby little home, and that she didn't need him to have a mansion, or millions in the bank for her to love him. But Arthur would always find himself wondering why she was with him. Why out of every man in Gotham, a simple clown like himself had been lucky enough to catch the eye of such a beautiful intelligent woman.

He had first met (Y/n) at a New Year's party held by the firm that she worked for. Arthur and a couple of others had been hired to entertain the revellers at the festivities, providing the staff with silly balloon animals, and performing simple magic tricks which the slightly inebriated attendants applauded as if they were watching the exploits of the great Harry Houdini himself.

Arthur had seen a beautiful woman sit by herself with a glass of champagne in her hand, looking out of the window as the sky outside was filled with millions of twinkling snowflakes. Normally he would have not interfered in her thoughts, but she looked sad and as far as he was concerned, it was his job to make everyone happy.

"I have something for you." Arthur said quietly, not wanting to shock the young woman.

"I.......beg your pardon." She had replied, looking slightly shocked as a brightly painted clown had handed her a vivid red balloon dog.

"You looked a little sad, and I thought that you could use a friend." Arthur told her, a smile growing across his broad red lips as she took it gratefully.

"Thank you. He's lovely. And red is my favourite colour." She retorted, Arthur feeling himself begin to blush as she smiled up at him.

"You don't have to go. I don't mind some company. That's if you are able." The young woman called out, as Arthur turned to leave.

"My name is (Y/n). I don't mean to be a party pooper. It's just, unlike my work colleagues I have no desire to get drunk and do something that I will not live down for the coming year." (Y/n) had said with a chuckle, as the kind clown had come to sit next to her.

Arthur couldn't help but stare at the woman next to him. She had such a sweet smile, and eyes that seemed to sparkle just like the champagne in her glass. He was surprised that she was by herself. Someone as beautiful as she was, should have all manner of suitors, yet here she was talking to a clown.

"I'm Carnival......well Arthur actually." Arthur told her as he held out his hand for her to shake.

"Its nice to meet you Arthur."