Open and shut case - Part 2 - Joker x Reader

"Joker? As in the Joker? As in Arthur Fleck whose rampage left Gotham looking like something from the ninth circle of hell? That Joker?" (Y/n) asked in disbelief. Not knowing what to think as both her father and Bannister nodded their heads.

"But that case is unwinnable. It's a prosecutor's dream. God knows how many people saw him kill Murray Franklin in cold blood. And as far as I know, he has never denied killing all the others. I can't work miracles. And it could ruin my career if I take on this case." (Y/n) protested. Finding it hard to believe that her father would even contemplate taking this on.

"The whole point is that you aren't going to win. Arthur Fleck, Joker, or whatever else he wants to call himself, is insane. Split personality or some such other nonsense. But we have to be seen to be providing him with the best defence possible. And despite his case being given to the public defender's office. I, and your father believe that this firm, and you in particular, would be the best to handle this. No one expects you to win. But keeping that psychotic clown out of the chair would be quite a coup for you. It would make your name. The attorney that was able to stop the clown from frying. He will of course be locked up for the rest of his days in Arkham, or some other godforsaken hell hole. But that isn't our problem........."

"I don't think that I want to be known as the attorney that saved the killer clown. Do you know how many people are baying for Fleck's blood? They want him to fry. If I defend him, I might as well give up my career here and now." (Y/n) interrupted. Annoyed that her father would put her in this position.

"(Y/n). You believe in the law, don't you? That everyone deserves a fair trial, no matter what his crimes?" Her father suddenly enquired.

"You know I do. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. (Y/n) replied. Hating that he would even ask such a question.

"Then, don't you think that Mister Fleck also deserves as good a defence as everyone else. That he deserves the same rights as everyone else?" Charles continued. A small smile gracing his lips as (Y/n) nodded slowly.

"Very well then. I would therefore like you to be the one to defend him. This case has one of the highest profiles in the city of Gotham's history. And even if it means that you only win by keeping him from death row. It will cement you and this firm as the best at what we do. And I really don't care what others believe. We must think of the long term future of this company. And if that means that a few of my old friend's noses are put out of joint. Then so be it." Charles continued. (Y/n) opening the brief, and slowly looking through it.

(Y/n) knew that she had been asking for a life. For something greater. To have something more than sitting in the office and watching as the world passed her by. But defending the clown prince had not been at the top of her 'to do' list. Yet as her father, and Bannister looked at her. She knew that she had no other choice.

"Alright." (Y/n) said, barely above a whisper. Having a terrible feeling that that one simple word just meant that she could kiss her future goodbye.

"What was that (Y/n)?" Her father asked, as (Y/n) raised her head to look straight into his eyes.

"I said, alright. I'll do it." (Y/n) declared. As she got up from her chair and placed the file under her arm.

"Excellent! We have arranged for you to meet your client on Monday, at Arkham. So, you have all weekend to familiarise yourself with his case. I know that you will do a wonderful job, (Y/n)." Her father told her, as (Y/n) made her way to the door of his office.

"Yes, sir." (Y/n) replied, as she opened the door. Closing it sharply behind her as she wondered whether or not to clean out her desk right now.

"Well? What was that all about? Why did the old man want to see you?" Rowan asked. Furrowing his brows as (Y/n) slumped down in her chair and began to bang her head on her desk.