Open and shut case - Part 13 - Joker x Reader

(Y/n) quickly made her way back to her car. Her briefcase flying over to the passenger seat as she opened the drivers side door. (Y/n) following swiftly after it, as she took her seat behind the wheel. Her hand reaching up to turn the rear view mirror, so she could look into her eyes.

"Will you get a grip?! We have to stay professional, (Y/n). Arthur is our client. You can't let your mind wander. We have too much to do. Ok, he can come across as sweet, and gentlemanly. But he is a killer. And killers can come across as charming. You know that................" (Y/n) chastised herself, as she thought of the man that she had just left behind those dark walls. As she reached up her hand and placed it on her cheek. Sure, that she could still feel her skin tingle from his kiss. Her thoughts running off to all the "what could have beens". How life in the city, her life, his life might have been so different if he had walked into the centre where she helped people with their legal issues. If she had met Arthur before the death of the men on the train. If it had not taken six deaths and a capital case for them to come across one another. But there was no point in wondering about the what ifs of life. Life was what it was. The situation could not be changed. But what she could do, was keep him alive. For even if he had to spend the rest of his days in Arkham, it didn't mean that once all this was all over, she and Arthur couldn't still be friends. An unusual friend admittedly. But she liked unusual friends.

>>-----------------------------------<<

"Your honour..................."

"I am afraid, Mister Jacobs, that I have to agree with Miss Thomas. This case has become headlines not only throughout the country, but also the world. There are rumours that the international press will be present for proceedings, and given that, Mister Fleck must be given the fairest trial possible. And just like Miss Thomas, I believe that it would be better if this was all held outside of Gotham. So, I am granting the defence a six month extension to the pre-trial date, and the trial will be held in another jurisdiction. The jury also to be selected from outside of the city. But believe me, I will not have this case turned into a sideshow attraction. So, Miss Thomas, that means your client will be suitably attired, and will not be allowed to turn up to court in any kind of face paint. Am I clear...................?" The judge interrupted, as he looked between (Y/n) and the assistant district attorney. (Y/n) doing her best not to smile, as she saw the defeated look on the public prosecutor's face.

"I understand, your honour. And I assure you that Mister Fleck will attend court as he should, and without face paint." (Y/n) replied, as she pushed all her paperwork back into her case.

"Now.........if there is nothing else............." The judge continued, turning his attention back to the pile of paperwork on his desk.  Jacob's giving (Y/n) a reluctant nod, as they both made their way to the doors of the court.

"Miss Thomas.................."

"Yes, your honour..................?" (Y/n) answered, as she turned back to look at the older man.

"You argued your case well. Not that I would expect anything less. I hope Mister Fleck knows how lucky he is to have you on his side. Your grandfather would be very proud of you. Your father should be very proud of you. And.....I would like to wish you luck. Because even though you have won this battle; winning the war will be a very different matter............" The judge continued, as he turned his attention to her.

"Thank you, your honour. But I assure you that now I have a savoured victory, I have no intention of tasting defeat." (Y/n) retorted. The judges smile mirroring hers, as they nodded to one another, before (Y/n) made her way out into the halls.

>>-----------------------------------<<

"Proud of yourself, are you..........?" A disgruntled voice enquired, as she rounded the corner. (Y/n) rolling her eyes, as she almost bumped into the prosecutor.

"I have never been prouder of myself, Ryan. Thank you for asking........." (Y/n) retorted with a smug smile, as she made to leave. Only to find her arm caught.

"You know, it doesn't matter whether Fleck is tried here in Gotham, or somewhere else. Whether you get an extension or not. The results will still be the same. He is going to get what he deserves..................."

"Then there should be no issue. But don't think that this is going to be a walk in the park, Ryan. I have every intention of winning this case. Every intention of keeping my client from being fried. So, may the best man............or in this case, woman, win..........And when I do win, at least you won't be able to whine and moan about Fleck's supporters getting at the jury. To complain that the whole thing was somehow rigged because it was held here. You see, I'm already two steps ahead of you, and I intend to stay that way........" (Y/n) interrupted, as she pulled her arm away. Not in the mood to deal with a petulant prosecutor.

"Why are you doing this, (Y/n). Why are you defending..........?" Ryan called out, as she made her way past the deputies of the court to the front of the building.

"Because it's the right thing to do, Ryan. Fleck deserves a defence just like everyone else. And if you don't believe that.......... well, you're in the wrong business.............."

>>-----------------------------------<<

(Y/n) knew that she should have gone into the office to tell Rowan and Isabella about what had happened. To give them the good news. After all, they had done as much of the work as she had. But she was exhausted, and the only place she wanted to be, was home. Her briefcase and coat dropping to the floor, as she made her way into the apartment. Her body flopping into the sofa, as she held her head in her hands.

It was true that she had had a small victory. But despite the fact that the weight that had been holding her down, had been lifted a little, she knew that this was just the beginning. She knew that more work, sleepless nights, and copious amounts of coffee and bad food awaited her. That if she was to make Ryan, and everyone else eat their words, she was going to have to work a small miracle. So, all she could hope was that Arthur, or should that be Joker, would do what he had to. That he would talk to the psychiatrists that her father had put her in contact with. That he would behave in court. That he would help in any way that he could, and not make this whole thing any more difficult than it was already going to be. That he would be Joker........be Arthur, in just the right amounts for her to keep him out of the chair.