Christmas Miracle - Arthur x Reader

To all you wonderful readers that have stuck with me. I would like to thank each and every one of you, and wish you all a wonderful holidays. May you and your loved ones be safe, happy and together over the festive season. 😊

Arthur wasn't one to believe in Christmas miracles. Miracles were wonderful things that happened to other people, but certainly not people like him. He couldn't really remember anything wonderful ever happening in his life, and despite how many times he had wished, hoped and prayed for his very own miracle, Arthur knew it was never going to happen. He was never going to find the love he craved for so much. Love that could move mountains and navigate vast oceans, just so that it could find its mate. Love that didn't look at the physical, but instead saw the heart and soul of a man. Love that would last a lifetime.

Arthur sighed as he looked around his apartment. He had done what he could to bring a little Christmas cheer to the place, but he had to face the fact that a bit of tinsel and a tiny artificial Christmas tree, were not going to make the dingy place look any better.

It would be yet another Christmas on his own. Another year of trying to fool himself that the next year would be different. That his stand up career would take off, and he would find the woman of his dream. But deep down he knew that this Christmas, and the new year to come, would just be a carbon copy of every other year that had been before.

It was Christmas Eve, and even Gotham looked a little brighter. The twinkling of thousands of tiny lights bringing a pleasant bright hue to the otherwise dark and dismal city. Arthur moved over to the window, his eyes focusing on the revellers outside as they laughed and sang carols at the top of their voices. The couples that walked arm in arm, snuggling into one another as the snow fell around them. It was strange to see Gotham like this, an air of optimism and happiness falling over the city. An air of optimism that even gave Arthur a glimmer of hope.

At this very moment the world looked so beautiful, so picturesque. The deep pure white snow concealing a multitude of Gotham's sins. But it was enough to compel Arthur to reach for his coat. Enough to make him want to leave the oppressive confines of his apartment, and step foot out into the cold night air.

                                                           >>------------------------------<<

Arthur looked up into the sky, the drifting snowflakes landing delicately on his skin. He couldn't help but smile. It was no wonder that people believed that miracles where more possible at this time of year than any other. That magic was possible. For if a blanket of snow, and a few twinkling multicoloured lights could bring a sense of joy to Gotham, then anything was possible.

Zipping up his jacket, Arthur made his way into the brightly lit night. He had no idea where he was going, he had no place in particular in mind, he would just let his feet lead him through the snow. For he knew that anything was better than spending another lonely minute in his apartment.

                                                        >>--------------------------------<<

(Y/n) looked out of the window of her hotel room. Of all times to move back to town, this was definitely not the best. The holidays meant that she would have to spend the next few days alone in the hotel. She hated the idea of spending Christmas day by herself, but work had kept her working until the last minute, and she had no other option but to stay in the surgically white room, until the moving guys could move her into her new apartment.

(Y/n) had grown up in Gotham. The city, as well as a difficult upbringing, had made her tough and resourceful, but had also made her want to escape both as soon as she could. She had been lucky, despite her home life she had always had good grades, always made a good impression on those that counted, always pushed herself to do better than others around her. And she had been rewarded for her efforts by being able to snag a coveted position in one of the top newspapers in the country. She had worked long and hard to get where she was, she had used her toughness to rise to the top, and it had led her back home with a promotion to editor in chief of Gotham Gazette. It was a position that she at once desired, but again feared. Gotham held it demons. Her parents may have died a number of years before, but she had not returned for the funerals. She had not been back to Gotham since she had escaped on the greyhound bus. But now she would have to face the city, face the memories, and not allow either of them to get in her way.