Open and shut case - Part 6 - Joker x Reader

"I swear to god, if it ever stopped raining in this damn city, I would have a heart attack." (Y/n) grumbled, as she opened her umbrella and made her way to the car. Fleck's case file firmly tucked under her arm.

The nurse or guard, or whoever it was, hadn't been happy when she had called in the middle of the night to organise another meeting with her client for the next day. Admittedly that might have been something to do with the fact that she had had two rather large glasses of wine by that time, and might have slurred her words ever so slightly, but still. And despite the fact that they had tried to inform her that she should call the institute in the morning, once they had heard her last name, they had magically become very helpful and told her that she could come and see Fleck anytime that she liked. And tomorrow morning at 10am would be absolutely fine. (Y/n) for once glad that her family name was so well known.

She hadn't really planned on seeing Fleck again so soon. He had already provided her with enough information to go on with. Information that she had been using to cross check with his file. But today what she wanted to see was his reaction to the crime scene pictures. She needed to see if her client had any reaction to the carnage that he had caused. To see if she could coax out the subordinate character of Arthur Fleck. Whether the man that had been considered timid, nervous, anxious and weak, would feel guilt or remorse for what had happened. What had been done. In truth, she didn't really need to see guilty or remorse. What she really wanted to know, was whether Arthur could remember the murders, or if he had blacked out, as the alter ego of Joker had taken over. As the clown had committed the crimes. Whether Arthur could appreciate the criminality of his actions. But no matter what, the burden of convincing a jury that Fleck was insane at the time of the crimes, would fall on her shoulders. The whole thing already making her feel as though she were Atlas, carrying the weight of the world. The defense attorney finding this new position a little strange, as in normal proceedings, the burden of proof, lay on the shoulders of the prosecution.

(Y/n) opened the door to the car and quickly got inside. Shaking out her umbrella before closing the door behind her. At this moment, she would give anything to find herself in a beautiful sun kissed paradise somewhere. The sound of the waves gently lapping at the beach, as she laid back and took a sip from some exotic cocktail that was filled with fruit and all manner of other crap. A handsome, bronze lifeguard rubbing her back with suntan lotion. But as it was, she was in Gotham. The least sun kissed place on the face of the earth. The only sound that she could hear was that of heavy raindrops hitting the windscreen and roof of the car. The only drink that she had, was coffee. And instead of being rubbed down by a muscular, chiseled Adonis, she was off to see a clown. A slightly bedraggled, chain smoking clown.

With a heavy sigh, she turned the key in the ignition. The vehicle bursting into life, before she put it in gear and pulled out of the car park, making her way into the crazy traffic. (Y/n) sure that rain made everyone a little more nuts. Made the traffic heavier, as those that would normally leave their vehicles at home, would bring them into the city, and clog up the roads. But she didn't want to wait for another day. There was so much to do before the date of the pre-trial hearing. So many people to talk to. So many places to see. She already knew that she would have to hire an independent psychiatrist that could their give a view on Fleck's mental state. Already knew that she would have to speak to her father about allowing Rowan to help her with the case. But before she could do any of that, she had to get her client to trust her. To show him that she really was on her side. To learn more about the clown than it said in his files.

                                                             >>--------------------------------<<

"I'm surprised ta see ya back here." The man behind the counter sniffed, as (Y/n) signed in to see Arthur.

"I beg your pardon?" (Y/n) replied, as she finished signing her name and looked up at the man.

"Why wouldn't I be back?"

"We all heard about what Fleck did. How he attacked ya. His own defense attorney. That he was seen with his hand around ya throat. If ya ask me, that crazy bastard doesn't deserve a defense. They should just fry him now. I................"

"Oh, no, no, no. You have that all wrong. My client wasn't attacking me, he was merely demonstrating how the guards in this facility treat him on a daily basis. How they believe that it is somehow their god given right to manhandle him in such a fashion. And if you have a problem with my client receiving counsel, you will have to take it up with the founding fathers, I am afraid. Because if you know anything about our constitution, and you can read higher than a first grade level, you will find that the Sixth Amendment states, that in all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to have the assistance of counsel for his defense. Now, if you don't mind, I would like to see my client." (Y/n) told the man. Fighting back the smile that wanted to force its way onto her lips, as she looked at the now very uncomfortable man. The guard coughing awkwardly, as he gestured for two other guards. The two new men indicating for her to follow them into the facility.

                                                                    >>------------------------------<<

"Raining again." Joker said absentmindedly, as the door to the room was unlocked and (Y/n) made her way inside. His eyes never moving from the small window, as she took a seat at the table.

"Yep, I'm afraid so. And not just cats and dogs. I'm sure that a few frogs and fish in their too. The next thing I know there will be Sulphur and fire, and this wicked city will be destroyed just like Sodom and Gomorrah. Not that that would be a bad thing. Might actually improve the place." (Y/n) replied, Joker unable to stop himself from laughing at the response, as he turned his attention to her.

He found his new attorneys outlook on life, really quite refreshing. It had just the right amount of bleakness, yet still had a hint of hope. She didn't pull her punches. Told him how it was, whether he wanted to hear it or not. And she hadn't tried to show him how smart she was, by bamboozling him with all that legal mumbo jumbo that the public defender had. And he had decided that he liked her for that. That unlike the shrinks, the counsellors, and all those other people that had claimed that they had wanted to help him. Wanted to understand him. He had got a feeling that this woman had really meant it when she had told him that she wanted to help. And given the fact that she had come back after he had had her pinned up against the wall, he was beginning to believe that that feeling was right.

"Sodom and Gomorrah, huh? You think Gotham is as wicked as all that?" Joker chuckled, as he leant forward on the table. His elbows resting on the flat top, as his chin rested in the palms of his hands.

"No. I think Gotham is worse. And if it was destroyed by fire and Sulphur, we probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It would still stink of garbage, corruption and neglect. But I am not here to discuss biblical disasters. I am here to discuss your case." (Y/n) replied, as she dropped his file onto the table, and opened it. Pulling out the photos of the crime scenes and placing them in front of him.

"I need Arthur to tell me about these. Then I need you to tell me." (Y/n) continued, as she pulled out a new notebook. And waited to see what the clown would do.