Joker's Soulmate

Includes lyrics from Just a kiss by Lady Antebellum

Joker sat in his all too familiar cell in Arkham, blankly staring at the dirty white walls. He had only been there a matter of hours, but it already felt like years. After a bungled heist, he'd been caught and dragged back to Arkham kicking and screaming, literally; now he just hoped that his men would realise where he was and break him out.

He found himself once again scratching at the mark on his left wrist; his soul mark had been burning and irritating him ever since he had stepped foot into this hell hole, and now the damn thing was red and inflamed. He got up from his bed and soaked the mark in cold water, hoping to relieve some of the pain but his efforts only seemed to make things worse.

He had tried everything over the years to destroy the mark, not believing he could have a soulmate, someone that could love him for everything he was and everything he had become; but no matter what he did the mark would reappear. His mother had always told him that it was destiny and that he couldn't fight his destiny, and that was why the mark would always come back.

The black and red rose that had been there from the day of his birth seemed to taunt him; when he was Arthur, he would look at it whenever he felt unhappy or lonely, wondering who she was and what she was like. Would he know her as soon as he saw her? Would it be love at first sight?

But as the years rolled on, and there was still no sign of her he had grown to hate the mark; he had taken to believing that the mark had been placed there to torment him, just like so many other things in his life.

He made his way back to his bed, throwing himself onto the uncomfortably thin mattress.

"LIGHTS OUT!" Came the call, as his room was suddenly plunged into darkness with only a small shaft of light coming from a tiny barred window high up in the wall enabling him to see; he turned over and lay on his back staring at the ceiling.

                                                                    >>---------------------------<<

He didn't know how long he had lain there staring at the same spot; it could have been minutes, but it was most probably hours. The silence was deafening, only interrupted sporadically by the cough from another inmate. The pain in his wrist had kept him awake, it burned like hell. Why did it have to do this now? Of all the places, of all the times, why here and why now?

Joker got out of bed, his warm bare feet instantly cooled by the floor beneath them; he started to pace, trying to calm his mind and the ache in his wrist. He suddenly stopped, his ears picking up an unfamiliar sound; it started off as a soft hum that slowly built up until a beautiful voice drifted through the empty corridors of the dreary asylum.

Lyin' here with you so close to me
It's hard to fight these feelings
When it feels so hard to breathe
Caught up in this moment
Caught up in your smile

He didn't know the song, but its words and the voice were so beautiful that he couldn't help but love it.

I've never opened up to anyone
So hard to hold back
When I'm holding you in my arms
We don't need to rush this
Let's just take it slow

Joker fell against the wall, sliding down it until he hit the floor. He felt a tear slowly roll down his cheek as the woman bore her soul through the words of the song.

Just a kiss on your lips in the moonlight
Just a touch of the fire burning so bright
And I don't want to mess this thing up
I don't want to push too far
Just a shot in the dark that you just might
Be the one I've been waiting for my whole life
So baby I'm alright, with just a kiss goodnight