A Chance Meeting - Part 2

A second part of this imagine for SmilingDiana. Hope you enjoy 😊

Arthur stood at the back door of the museum and brushed off his jacket and pants; despite wanting to call (Y/n) as soon as he got home his mind had got the better of him and he had spent the next few days wondering why a woman like her, a doctor, would want anything to do with such an inconsequential being like him; the woman he had met was utterly beautiful, intelligent and would look more at home on the arm of some movie star or some handsome academic than be seen with him, but finally he had fought back his demons and called. As soon as he had heard her happy voice, Arthur knew that he had made the right decision to call, and the two had spent the next few hours talking about anything and everything, the conversation culminating in (Y/n) inviting him to a private viewing of the Egyptian collection after hours that next weekend; and that was why Arthur was now knocking on the rather unimpressive rear entrance.

"What?" A rather unhappy looking old man asked gruffly, as he opened the door and looked Arthur up and down.

"I er....... I'm here to see......er....." Arthur stuttered out, relieved when he heard (Y/n)'s dulcet tones from behind the gruff looking night guard.

"It's alright Harold, er...... Doctor Fleck is here for a private viewing of the collection, don't worry about anything, I'll take it from here." (Y/n) explained, as she took Arthur by the arm and pulled him inside, ignoring the suspicious stares of the old man.

"Doctor Fleck?" Arthur chuckled, as (Y/n) escorted him up to the second floor of the museum, and into the Egyptian wing.

"Well, I'm afraid Harold has been here that long that somehow he seems to think that the museum is his own private domain, and if I tell him that you are a Doctor he is more likely to leave us alone for the duration." (Y/n) told him, as the two made their way towards where (Y/n) had set some items up specially to show her guest.

As the two made their way from display to display, (Y/n) ran Arthur through the vast expanse of Egyptian history, right from the Predynastic period all the way up to the Ptolemies, and the fall of the great civilisation; Arthur was entranced by not only the information that seemed to be bombarding him from every direction, but also by the enthusiasm (Y/n) showed about her subject, and the love that she had for this ancient world. During his time waiting to see (Y/n), Arthur had decided to do everything he could to show her that he was more than a simple clown, and had made an effort to find out as much as he could about the artefacts in the museum, and found one particular piece of utmost interest, and now seemed like the perfect moment to impress the seemingly infinitely knowledgeable Doctor.

"Now this is beautiful." Arthur said, conveniently stopping in front of the carved granite statue of a sphinx with the face of a female that he had been studying.

"Yes, she is, isn't she? That is........" (Y/n) began, before Arthur took a deep breath and started to tell her everything, he could remember about what he had learnt.

"That is Hatshepsut, 5th Pharaoh of the 18th dynasty; second historically confirmed female Pharaoh, she came to the throne in 1478 BC, was daughter, sister and wife of a king, and is regarded by Egyptologists as one of the most successful Pharaohs, reigning longer than any other indigenous woman, at 22 years. He temple complex at Deir el-Bahri was the first complex to be built on the site which would become the Valley of the Kings." Arthur said, reciting word for word everything that he had written down to memorise.

"Very good, Doctor Fleck, maybe I should let you take one of my classes, with all that knowledge I'm sure that you could do better than me." (Y/n) chuckled, applauding Arthur as she came to stand by his side.

"Or maybe I should get the museum to hire you to teach those 10 year old's I have to talk to; I could just see you all dressed up at King Tut." (Y/n) said, as she turned to look at a slightly blushing Arthur.