Special Agent - Part 3

(Y/n) sat at the table looking down at her hand; it was her number one rule never to touch these guys, no matter how quiet they may seem they were all killers, and physical contact was never a good thing, you had to keep a respectable distance, not put yourself in danger, yet she had gone against everything she knew and touched him.

She let out an aggravated sigh, mentally slapping herself for already letting this man get so close; she knew all too well how some of these guys worked, lay on the charm, lull you into a false sense of security, and before you knew it they were picking at your brain, getting you to tell them things that you should never tell anyone, especially not a convicted serial killers. She physically shuddered as she remembered an old colleague that had got too close to a violent offender; she had let him into her life, believed everything he told her, everything that he promised her. He had sworn that he loved her, and told her that if she felt the same then she would help him escape, which to everyone's shock, and the bureau's embarrassment, she had done, the couple being on the run for months before they had finally been captured.

But this was different (Y/n) reasoned with herself, she had only touched his hand for goodness sake, she wasn't some love struck fool that would be taken in by a handsome face and a pair of perfect eyes; no, she had this under control, that was the first and last time there would be any physical contact between the two, and even though she had promised him that she would tell him the truth to anything he asked her, she would try telling him only the bare minimum, and just hope he that he was satisfied with her answers.

"Special Agent (Y/l/n), Doctor Jackson would like to see you before you leave." An older guard said from the doorway, as she gathered the last of the paperwork together.

(Y/n) couldn't help but groan; Jackson had been the man that her boss had spoken to, to arrange her meetings with Joker, his one condition to her interviews was that she had to give him a debriefing at the end of each session, but there was no way in hell she was going to give this jumped up quack anything useful, she had been assured that her interviews with Fleck would be private, and that was exactly what they were going to stay.

"Thanks, could you show me the way?" She asked, as the guard locked the door behind her.

"Sure, no problem. This way miss." The older man said, as he showed her down the corridor.

"So, Fleck. Interesting character you've picked for your study if you don't mind me saying." The guard said, as the two made their way to the doctor's office.

"I was here when he used to come in, before he changed, you know, to Joker; underneath it all he's not a bad guy despite the killings. He always hated it in here, he was always a nice kid; quiet, but respectful, how the hell he put up with his mother for so long I don't know, she was one nasty bitch if you ask me." The man told her, as she stopped and looked at him.

"What do you think about him?" She asked. She had never though of talking to any of the guards, most of them seemed like insensitive morons who were a little too handy with their batons.

"I'm no psychiatrist miss, but I've seen enough troubled souls go through this place in my time to have a slight insight into people like Arthur. If you really want my opinion, that poor kid was gonna kill someone or end up dead himself; you can only mistreat someone for so long before they snap. Its like confining a wild animal in a cage, and then systematically beating and starving it, then expecting it not to go mad and attack its tormentors at the first opportunity. Don't let all that swagger and boldness fool you, Arthur is still in there, he might be deep down, but he's still in there." The guard told her, as he motioned to a door just further down.

"That's Doctor Jackson's office. He'll be waiting for you in there." He told her, as he walked away.

"Ok (Y/n), play nice." She quietly told herself, forcing a fake smile to her lips as she knocked on the door.