In the heat of the night - Part 3 - Arthur x Reader

"So............" Arthur began, as he nervously looked between (Y/n) and the soda in his hand. No longer noticing or caring about the bright lights of the big city that lay before them. No longer caring about the heat.

He wanted to say so much. To tell her so much. He wanted to say that he thought that she was wonderful. That he was sure that she was the most amazing woman that he had ever met. That the mere thought of her made him smile. And at this very moment he was sure, as she sat next to him, her leg touching his, that his heart was going to burst from his chest and surrender itself to her. Totally and unequivocally. He wanted to tell her that he was in awe of her. That she was like his knight in shining armour when it came to battling the evil old dragon that was Misses O'Connor. That he wished it was he, that was the one that was defending and protecting her from all that Gotham had up its dark and gloomy sleeve. Yet as the words fought for prominence in his mind. Demanding that he spoke of them first, he found that none would come to his lips. And instead, he just sat there, opening and closing his mouth as if he were doing an impression of a goldfish. The embarrassing fact that he was just sitting there like a stunned fool, making it even harder for him to say anything.

"So..........I was hoping that we would one day get to talk like this. Away from the world. From all the distractions of normal life. Away from the all seeing eyes of Misses O'Connor. I just wish that it hadn't taken so long." (Y/n) admitted, with a heavy sigh. Placing the can of soda down by her side and steeling herself for what she was about to say.

"I hope that you don't mind. I mean.......I will understand if you don't feel the same. That you don't really think of me like that. And I don't suppose that I'd blame you. But........I feel like I need to tell you something, Arthur. Something that has been eating away at me since we first met. And I know that if I don't tell you now while we are alone now, I'll probably never will. Because I'll chicken out like I have done so many times before. And even if you said those wonderful things about me to just be nice, I know I will regret never taking the chance. So, here goes...........I.........I like you, Arthur. And when I say like, I actually mean more than like. I think that you are funny, kind, and sweet. I love you telling me about your work, and all the wonderful things that you do for the children. How you get nervous and glow that beautiful shade of pink whenever you "accidentally' bump into me. I love your jokes, and how you are so proud of that you have written yourself. You make me smile, Arthur. You make me laugh like no one ever has before. You make me feel special. And when we face the old witch, even though I know that she makes you uncomfortable. You make me feel strong. You give me the courage to stand there, because I know that it's the right thing to do. That I'm doing it for you. And I know, with you behind me, everything is going to be alright. I think that you're handsome. And I think, no, I know, that if I was given the opportunity, that I would like to get to know you better. To get to know the real Arthur. Away from the distractions of work and the city. Away from the world. Just me and you. So........I think that that's all I have to say. I'm sorry if I embarrassed you. But I had to say all that. I just hope that it doesn't make things between us in the future, awkward in any way. And now I have made a complete fool of myself, I think that I should probably go back to my apartment. Maybe I'll see you tomorrow. Good night, Arthur." (Y/n) explained, as she slowly climbed down from the wall, and made her way over to the door that led back into the apartment building.

Arthur sat there. Dumbfounded. His mind now completely and utterly mixed up. Had he really just heard right? Had (Y/n) just said all the things to him, that he had wanted to say to her? Had she really been able to voice all the words and feelings that refused to leave his lips. And if she had, why the hell was he still sat there like a damn idiot, letting the girl of his dreams think that he didn't care? Why for once couldn't he be the strong one.

"(Y/n) wait! Please wait! I have to tell you something too" Arthur exclaimed as he jumped to his feet and raced over to her. Catching her arm before she could open the door.

"I........I'm an idiot, a fool, (Y/n), for not telling you this sooner. For wasting all this time. But now, for once in my life, I am going to be strong enough. I'm not going to shy away and lose this opportunity. I like you too, (Y/n). More than like you. And I'm just sorry that I've never been able to pluck up the courage to tell you before now. I think that you are amazing, wonderful. I wake up in the morning and my first thought is you. I close my eyes at night, and my dreams are filled with your face. When I'm at work I get distracted because all I can hear is your laughter ringing in my ears. When I sit down and try and write my jokes, I find that I end up drawing pictures of you instead. So, I'd like to get to know you better too. And I don't want to waste any more time. So, maybe we could start now. Maybe we could get to know one another, right here." Arthur told her. (Y/n) turning around to look at him. His hand reaching down to take hers as he escorted her back over to the wall. The normally quiet clown, picking her up and placing her back on her cushion, before joining her once again.

"I think that I would like that, Arthur." (Y/n) replied, as he handed her back her soda, and tentatively placed his arm around her shoulder.

"You don't think that Misses O'Connor is watching us, do you? I mean, I'm sure that she has spies everywhere." (Y/n) chuckled as she looked up into Arthur's beautiful emerald eyes.

"I don't know, but I wouldn't put it past her. And if she has, we could always give her something to complain at us about tomorrow. If you would like." Arthur replied. Feeling a newfound confidence in himself, as he felt (Y/n)'s arms wrap around his waist.

"And what exactly did you have in mind, Mister Fleck?" (Y/n) asked, as he brushed his fingers through her hair. Her eyes fluttering closed as the slender man rested his forehead against hers. His warm breath fanning over her skin.

"A kiss." Arthur simply told her. Finding himself smiling as (Y/n) slowly nodded.

"I think I'd like that." (Y/n) agreed, his lips finally meeting hers as he pulled (Y/n) into a loving embrace. Arthur having a feeling that things were only going to get better. And it was all due to the heat of the night.