Open and shut case - Part 22 - Joker x Reader

The clown continued to sway softly. The movement seeming to ease the tears of the woman in his arms. He knew that she couldn't hear the music that was flooding his mind. That she couldn't hear Frank singing into his ear the words of "The way you look tonight." Old Blue Eyes seeming to know, just like he did, that the words were perfect for the beautiful woman that had come into his life. That even though he was awfully low, and his world was cold, just the thought of his attorney made him feel a glow grow deep within him. That she could tear his fears apart. And with her breathless charm, she had made him love her.

He could imagine the two of them dancing together like couples did in those old black and white movies. Could imagine that he was Fred Astaire and (Y/n) was Ginger Rogers. That instead of his Carnival outfit, or the off-white garb that he currently wore, he was in a tailcoat suit, and (Y/n) in a beautiful flowing gown that billowed behind her as they moved across the floor. The scene in his mind in complete contrast to their current surroundings. The pale, stark walls and table and chairs, replaced by a grand staircase that led to an even grander ballroom. The whole vision more wonderful than anything that he could hope for.

"I'm sorry, Arthur." (Y/n) suddenly said. Her soft voice breaking through his daydream. His eyes opening, as he felt her finally pull away from him. The clown's body already missing her warmth. Already missing her embrace, as he reached up and brushed the tears from her cheek. Joker sure that despite her reddened eyes and flushed skin, she was as beautiful as he had ever seen her.

"I shouldn't have said all that............it was just.............it was just a shock that it seemed that you had every intention of taking your own life. If I could, I would have come down here in the middle of the night to see you. I wanted to shout at you. To shout at Joker. I wanted to scold you for even thinking about it for a moment. And then...........and then I just wanted to tell you never to contemplate it again. That I'm here for you, and I don't want anything to happen to you. I like you, Arthur. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be defending you. But I do, and I am. I just needed to hold you to make sure that you really are real. That you aren't some kind of crazy dream, that I have become more attached to than I should be. That I feel more for, than I should given the situation. I don't want to lose you Arthur. To the chair, or the clown that lives inside your head." (Y/n) continued, as she looked up into his green orbs, orbs that glistened with tears of his own. Joker's heart pounding so violently, that he believed that at any moment it would give out. But if it did, as long as he was in her arms, and her face was the last thing that he saw in this world, he would be happy.

Happy. Despite what Penny had always called him, not for one moment in his whole pathetic life had he known what happy was. Or should that be, he hadn't known what happy was, until the moment that he had kissed (Y/n) the other day. Until she had not pulled away from him. Until he had felt her return the gesture. The feeling like nothing he had known. A feeling that he never wanted to lose.

"I'm sorry..............." The clown replied softly. His hand resting on her cheek, as he took his turn to apologise. To apologise for anything. For everything. Not just for taking the gun to the show, to end his life, but for all of it. For doing all that he had done to bring him to this. For not meeting (Y/n) before his life had taken its abrupt turn, and he had spiraled out of control. For even being himself. Feeling that it was the only thing that he could say.

In truth, he wanted to say so much more. He wanted to tell her that he wanted her, that he needed her in the worst way possible. That already, she was the best thing that had ever happened to him. And that he would give everything to be able to turn back the clock and find her before Randall had given him the gun. Before he had used it on the three assholes on the train. That even though he didn't know much, he knew that he loved her. Yet for the moment, sorry seemed to be the best thing.

Quietly, the pair just continued to stand there. Their arms never moving from the form of the other. The clown feeling his body react, as his eyes wandered from (Y/n)'s, to her lips and then to the top of her breasts that he could just see peeking through her blouse. His mind now racing with images of the glory that truly lay beneath the neat and well-tailored clothes. Admittedly, this wasn't the first time that he had wondered that. The thoughts, the images of her in his mind's eye, leading to him groaning out her name, as he had pleasured himself when the lights had gone out, and the hospital had fallen silent. Joker pretending that his hand had in fact been hers. That it was her mouth, her body. His ears filling with sounds of her contented moans. Of her begging him to take her. To do all the things that he had never had the chance to do, and probably never would now. His body reacting more and more with each lurid thought, until it felt as though he couldn't breathe. That all the oxygen had been taken from his lungs, and she was the only one that could help him get the air that he needed. His lips crashing into hers. Her hands reaching up into his hair, as he pushed her backwards. Their movement only stopping as (Y/n) fell backwards on to the table. The sound of her gasping as he pushed up her skirt and she wrapped her legs around his waist, the most exquisite sound that he had ever heard.