Lonely Hearts - Arthur x Reader

I've already given Joker a soulmate, and I thought it was about time that I gave Arthur one too. Hope you enjoy 🥰💖

At birth we are given two arms and two legs but only one heart, our other heart was given to someone else, our soulmate, and it was for us to find them. This fate was written in the stars and had been true for as long as anyone could remember, and it was a fate that (Y/n) knew all too well.

It was easy to be lonely in Gotham, many people were, so why (Y/n) had moved there she didn't know; but there was something about the cold, dark, grey city that seemed to call to her, and (Y/n) knew not to fight against her instincts, they had served her well up until now, so she wasn't about to start ignoring them.

She had always been a bit of a drifter, ever since it was obvious that her soulmate was not to be found in her small hometown, (Y/n) had decided that the only way that she might ever find happiness would be to go out and find the man whose name was written in a spider crawl script on her wrist. She had often been teased as a child about the scrawl on her skin, the shaky, quirky signature causing the others to tell her that her soulmate would be odd, strange; but (Y/n) never minded, she liked the idea that the man whose name had been on her skin since birth would be unusual, a little eccentric just like her.

During her time, she had travelled to many towns, calling each one home only for a short time, as it became clear that the one man she wanted to find was not there; but Gotham had held her longer, and the fact that it was a big city gave her a new hope that her mystery man could be out there somewhere. As days had turned into weeks and now a full year, (Y/n) was giving up hope that she would find her soulmate anywhere; maybe the mark had been put there by accident, maybe her soulmate was no longer alive, but whatever the case, for some reason she couldn't bring herself to leave the grim, dirty city.

(Y/n) woke up early that morning, she was to start a new job at a place called Ha-Has helping out in the office with general office duties and whatever the boss, a man called Hoyt, decided he needed. She had to admit that it wasn't the best job in the world, but it was better than spending 12 hours on her feet working in a diner, where she would probably get hit on by some greasy, overweight cook that smelled of cheap cigars and even cheaper booze, so who was she to complain; but as she looked in the mirror, making sure that her hair was in place, she couldn't help but feel a strange sense of loneliness that she had never really felt before, a feeling so strong that it seemed to strike at her very soul. Shaking the feeling off as best she could, (Y/n) grabbed her bag and made her way out of her small apartment, wrapping herself in her large overcoat as she shielded herself against the cool morning air.

>>--------------------------------<<

Arthur was used to being alone, he was used to being lonely, and in a city like Gotham being alone was an easy thing to be; no one seemed to care, no one seemed to want to open their heart, and despite the fact that he had lived in the city all his life, he had never been able to find the woman who had his name written in her wrist. He had often wondered if the name that was on his wrist was there my mistake, yet another thing intended to make his already small dark world even smaller. What seemed to make things worse was that even Randall had a soulmate, of all the people in Gotham, even a detestable man like Randall had found someone, a fact that the man never let Arthur live down.

Brushing his fingers through his hair, and pulling his thin jacket around his shoulders, he stood in front of the mirror and looked at the name that was written in a beautiful script on his wrist, there was something about the writing and the name that had always led him to believe that his soulmate, if she ever existed, must be someone exceptional, someone beautiful, and as he thought, a sense of loneliness stronger than any he had had before came over him, a sense so strong that it seemed to eat into his very soul. Slowly he shook his head, trying to get rid of the feeling, knowing that yet again he would have to put on a happy face, and make his way to work.