Angel of mercy - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

(Y/n) pulled her beat up old car out front of the immaculate suburban home. Shaking her head as once again she saw that her sister had gone completely over the top. Even though she came from this world, (Y/n) hated it. It was a world where everyone seemed to be in everyone else business. A world where the homeowners association seemed to rule with an iron fist. A world that outwardly looked perfect, but underneath the surface, was really as rotten as anywhere else. For the white picket fences, and the thick curtains, hid a multitude of sins.

She knew that it may sound crazy to most people, but (Y/n) preferred the city. She preferred her little apartment, and the melting pot of cultures and creeds that called the metropolis home. She liked the noise. She liked the chaos. The only thing that she hated was that she had to see the worst side of people's lives. She saw death and pain on a daily basis, and in a sad way, had begun to become immune to it.

She knew Gothamites were not known for their politeness, or civility, but the people that she worked with were some of the toughest, nicest, and hardest working she could even hope to meet. And even though her working life was filled with gunshot and knife wounds. Beaten wives, and addicts of every nature, (Y/n) wouldn't change her life for the sisters, even if she could.

(Y/n) had worked hard to get where she was. Years at med school. Internship. Residency. And now she was working in one of the busiest emergency departments in the country. Her sister Sarah on the other hand seemed to have been handed everything on a platter, never having to work for anything. To many, Sarah had the perfect life, the perfect home. Her husband was a partner in a law firm. She even had a fancy Mercedes in the driveway. But deep down (Y/n) knew her sister wasn't happy, and this grandiose celebration for a seven year old's birthday party, to (Y/n), was just a way for Sarah to try and convince herself that she was.

(Y/n) sighed as she slumped back in the driver's seat. As much as she cared for her sister and nephew, the thought of spending a rare day off with a bunch of over privileged seven year old's, was not what she wanted to do. She would rather been in bed, trying to catch up on some much needed sleep. She would rather be sat on her sofa watching some dumb old movie with a bowl of popcorn. Hell, she would rather nail her own feet to the floor. But (Y/n) knew, that if she didn't at least show her face, then Sarah would never let her hear the last of it.

Reluctantly (Y/n) opened the car door. Rolling her eyes as she heard high pitched squeals come from the back of her sister's house. The doctor hoping that she would be able to avoid the multitude of Stepford wives that her sister laughingly called friends.

"(Y/n). You made it." Sarah said happily, as she pulled (Y/n) into a slight hug. Closing the door behind her reluctant sibling as she nearly pulled (Y/n) out into the back garden that was filled with screaming children, and their cookie cutter mothers.

"Yeah well. I said I would if I could." (Y/n) replied, a smile pulling at the corners of her lips as a happy seven year old boy ran towards her. Nearly knocking her over as he barrelled into her.

"Aunty (Y/n). You have to come and see. Mommy got people to bring animals over for my party. We can feed them and hold them and everything. And we are also gonna have a clown. You have to come and see." The little boy told her, as he tried to pull (Y/n) over in the direction of the animals.

"Hi Nathan. Wow, animals. And a clown. That's great. I tell you what, why don't you take your gift, and I'll come over and find you in a minute. I have to have a word with your mom." (Y/n) replied, as she handed the little boy his present. Nathan hugging her again as he saw the Mister Potato Head box below the wrapping paper.

"A petting zoo, Sarah? You got a petting zoo? I can understand a clown, but don't you think that a petting zoo is just a little much?" (Y/n) asked her sister, as the two siblings watched Nathan rush off back to his friends.

"Well, Jessica had ponies for Olivia's party the other month, and I don't what the others to think Nathan can't have better." Sarah replied, as she looked over at the other mothers. (Y/n) rolling her eyes as she imagined what they were saying about her sister behind her back.

"You know. That is a sad indictment of your life. That you have to spend a fortune on a seven year old's birthday party, just so that you don't lose face in front of those viper tongued, harpies." (Y/n) scoffed, not meaning to undermine her sister. Just wishing Sarah could see things from another perspective.

"And I suppose that you are better? Up to your eyes in the scum of Gotham, as you try and fix them up, only for them to go out and do the same things over and over again?" Sarah replied indignantly, as she crossed her arms over her chest, and glared at (Y/n).

"I didn't mean that Sarah, and you know it. It's just that I hate you thinking that your life is only worth living if you've out done the Stepford wives over there. And don't call them scum. Most of them are good people. Many have just hit hard times and are battling to make them better." (Y/n) explained, as she took her sister's arm in hers.

"Come on. If I'm going to get through this, I'm going to need a glass of wine." (Y/n) chuckled, as she and Sarah made their way back into the house.

                                                             >>-----------------------------<<

Arthur sighed as he looked at the large house and the white picket fence that surrounded it. Huge balloons were decorating the doorways, banners reading "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" hung from the lintel, and he could hear the sound of children's laughter from the back garden. It had been a long journey to the suburbs, and Arthur was already exhausted before the job had even begun. But the customer was known to Hoyt, and Arthur was under strict instructions to give the client whatever they wanted.

It was impossible for Arthur not to notice the stark contrast between his humble, dingy apartment, and this beautiful home. Between the dangerous, dark, trash strewn streets of the city, and the pristine, landscaped, bright surrounding of these American dream communities. Part of him thought that if he had had a chance to go to college. If had had a chance to make something of his life, he too may have had a beautiful home, an equally beautiful wife, and two point four kids running around on his well-manicured lawn. But as it was, that wasn't his life, and it never would be.

"HEY LOSER! GET A REAL JOB!" A voice called out, Arthur turning to see some older kids on bikes, laughing at him from across the street. One of them throwing something in his direction, before all of them took off. Arthur shook his head slightly as he slowly pushed his way through the gate, the clown realising that it didn't seem to matter where he went, the word "loser", and the bullies, seemed to follow him like a dark cloud.

Arthur brushed down is outfit and readjust his wig. Forcing a big happy smile to his lips as he knocked on the door.

"I'll get it." Arthur heard from behind the ingress. The door opening to reveal his angel of mercy.

It had been months since he had last seen (Y/n). Arthur had talked Gary into letting him accompany him when the little man had returned to the hospital to have his stitches removed. Arthur over the moon that (Y/n) was the one to removed what she had so neatly done, days before. But since then, fortunately, or unfortunately, Arthur had had no reason to attend the emergency department. And had not had the opportunity to get to know the doctor any better. But now here she was, right in front of him. And his fake smile, had now been replaced by a genuine one.

"Oh, hi (Y/n)." Arthur said softly, as (Y/n) looked at him, furrowing her eyebrows momentarily, before she suddenly realised who she was looking at.

"Arthur? Is that you? Wow! I should have known that it could be you. But I've never seen you in your full costume before. You look great." (Y/n) said happily, as she opened the door fully, and let him enter.

"Oh, er....... thanks. You have a beautiful home by the way. And I'll be sure to give your child the best show possible." Arthur told the doctor, the clown looking slightly confused as (Y/n) began to laugh.

"No, no. This isn't my place. It's my sisters, and so is the kid. I live by myself in the city, but its very kind of you to be so nice. And I am sure that Nathan will love you. Now, let's introduce you to my sister, then the birthday boy." (Y/n) replied, as she took a slightly shocked Arthur's hand, and escorted him to the back of the house.