Blind Date - Arthur x Reader

Arthur looked at himself in the mirror, how the hell had he allowed himself to be talked into this? Of all the stupid things that he had ever been talked into, this had the be the worst, a blind date.

Admittedly it was Gary that had set him up, but still; a blind date?!

"Arthur, (Y/n) is a great girl, she's really funny, and really clever; she's a veterinary nurse at one of those big places in the city, you'll love her I swear." Gary said, as he sat down on the bench next to him.

Gary had been going on and on about this (Y/n) for weeks, every chance he got he was expressing the virtues of this young woman, and Arthur was finding hard to believe that anyone could possibly live up to the hype that Gary had given her.

"What's wrong with her?" Arthur asked his small friend, the words coming out a little harsher than he meant them to.

"If she's agreed to go out on a date with me, then there must be something wrong with her." He said, seeing the look of annoyance on Gary's face.

"There is nothing wrong with (Y/n)! She's an old friend of the family, and she is a wonderful girl. Look, she caught her ex-boyfriend cheating on her about a year ago, and she hasn't really been able to trust a guy since. (Y/n) deserves a nice man in her life, one she can trust, one that's not going to hurt her, and its taken me as long to talk her into this date as it has you; and believe it or not she also said that there must be something wrong with you if you want to go out on a date with her. See, your perfect for one another." Gary told him, giving Arthur his best puppy dog eyes.

"Fine." Arthur sighed, as Gary gave him a hearty slap on the back.

"You've made the right decision pal; I promise you wont regret it." Gary said, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"Ok, do you know that fancy French restaurant in town call 'Le cœur affamé'?" Gary asked, as he started scribbling something down on piece of paper.

Arthur nodded his head. "Yeah I know the one." He said, sighing loudly.

"Well, meet (Y/n) inside at eight o'clock on Saturday; you won't be able to miss her, she will be the most beautiful girl in the room, but just in case, I told her to wear a flower in her hair." Gary said, handing Arthur a piece of paper.

"Now this is (Y/n)'s number, if you are running late just call her." Gary told him, as he handed him a scrap of paper.

"I promise you'll love her, Arthur; and I know she'll love you." Gary said, jumping down from the bench, leaving Arthur to drop his head into his hands.

After a long week of getting himself worked up over the date, Saturday was finally here, and Arthur was stood looking at himself in the mirror. He had dressed neatly, a simple white shirt and black pants, topped off with his usual tan jacket; he knew that this Le cœur affamé place was fancy, but this was the best he could do. He took a deep breath as he took one last look in the mirror, brushing his fingers through his hair, before he made his way out of the apartment.

One long bus ride later, and Arthur found himself outside the very posh looking French restaurant; maybe he should just send her a message saying that he was sick, or that for some reason he just couldn't make it; but he knew if he did that he would never hear the last of it from Gary.

Gripping a little tighter to the bunch of flowers in his hand, and straightening himself one last time, he slowly pushed his way into the restaurant.

"Can I help you Monsieur?" The waiter asked in a thick French accent, looking Arthur up and down, obviously not impressed by what he saw.

"Er yeah.......... I have a, er....... reservation under the name of Fleck." Arthur said nervously, feeling uncomfortable about how the waiter was looking down his nose at him.

The waiter looked at the large reservation book, his finger finally falling on the spot where Arthur's name had been written.

"Ah qui, the mademoiselle is already here Monsieur. Let me show you to your table." The waiter said, picking up a menu, and escorting him deeper into the restaurant.

As Arthur made it to the table, he realised that whatever Gary had told him was not enough, his date was beautiful, and he couldn't believe that he had ever doubted his small friend.

"So, you must be Arthur?" (Y/n) asked, smiling a smile that instantly captured Arthur's heart.

"Er........yeah, I'm Arthur. Um...... these are for you." Arthur said, pushing the large bunch of flowers towards her.

(Y/n) couldn't help but chuckle as Arthur seemed to turn the softest shade of pink.

"Sorry, I'm nervous." Arthur said, his hand rubbing the back of his neck uneasily.

"It's ok Arthur, I'm nervous too; but thank you for the flowers, there are beautiful." (Y/n) said, sniffing at the soft pink blooms.

"You can sit down, I don't bite." She told him, as Arthur sat, his eyes never leaving hers.

"I don't mean to stare, it's just that you are much more beautiful than Gary made you out to be." Arthur said, smiling as (Y/n) began to blush.

"Well, Gary didn't tell me how handsome you were, so I guess it's a nice surprise for both of us." (Y/n) said, looking down nervously at the menu in her hands.

"Do you like French food?" (Y/n) asked, as Arthur looked at the menu, not able to understand most of what was written.

"Oh, er...... definitely, it's my favourite. I just love amphibian legs and garden pests." Arthur said, staring at the table next to them, a snooty looking woman picking at a plate of snails.

His head snapped back to (Y/n) as she started laughing.

"Has anyone ever told you that you are a terrible liar, Arthur? I tell you what, why don't we get out of here, this isn't my kind of place either. I know this great little diner just around the corner, they make the best coffee, and bake their own pecan pies that are to die for." (Y/n) said, standing up from the table, and offering Arthur her hand.

As the two walked arm in arm, Arthur felt comfortable; her arm seemed to fit his perfectly and every time she laughed, he felt another little piece of his heart belonged to her.

Arthur opened the door for (Y/n) as they got to the diner, rushing in behind her he escorted her to a table, dramatically taking his handkerchief from his pocket and dusting the seat so she could sit.

"My Lady." Arthur said, smiling widely as he offered her his hand to help her sit.

"Why thank you, brave sir knight." (Y/n) giggle, as she curtsied before taking a seat.

The rest of the evening was a blur, as the two talked and laughed, both of them never having felt more comfortable with anyone in their life.

As the waitress came around to clean the plates from their table, Arthur reluctantly looked at his watch.

"Wow, I didn't realise how late it was, I should get you home." Arthur said sadly, wishing that the night didn't have to end.

"What? Are you worried I'll turn into a pumpkin if you don't get me home before the stroke of midnight?" (Y/n) asked with a smile, as she rested her head in her hands.

"It's just that I don't want Cinderella missing out on losing her slipper to her Prince Charming." Arthur said, offering (Y/n) his hand as he led her from the diner.

"Oh, I don't think I'll miss out on losing my slipper, in fact I think I've already lost it, and I quite like the Prince Charming I'm with right at this moment." (Y/n) said, stopping and placing a soft kiss on Arthur's hot cheek.

"I was wondering if Prince Charming would like to see Cinderella again tomorrow. Say, maybe he could escort her to the movies or something?" (Y/n) asked hopefully, as she held on to Arthur's hands.

"I think Prince Charming would like that very much." Arthur said, draping his jacket around his Cinderella's shoulders, and leading her into the moonlight.