Insomnia - Arthur x Reader

Arthur slumped down on the sofa, he was desperate for sleep; but as always, his insomnia was playing up, and it was driving him crazy. His insomnia was chronic, and had been for years, caused by his psychiatric problems and his medication; and despite everything he had tried, nothing that the doctors had ever given him made it better.

And what made it worse tonight, was that (Y/n) was several thousand miles away, on the other side of the country because of a business meeting. Normally (Y/n) would stay awake with him, gently cradling him in her arms, combing her fingers his hair as she listened to him tell her about his day, about the people on the street, or the children at the hospital. He would tell her about Hoyt, and Randall, and she would laugh along with him as he told her about what Gary had been up to. Tonight though, all he had for company were the usual re-runs of 'I Love Lucy' on late night TV.

He looked over at the phone, mentally calculating what time it would be where (Y/n) was; he knew all too well that she had insomnia too, they were two of a kind, and that was one of the many reasons that Arthur loved her, so if he called the chances of him finding her awake were good.

Arthur picked up his phone, his fingers ghosting over the buttons as he looked at the screen, a picture of his beautiful girlfriend smiling back at him; part of him felt guilty about calling and possibly waking her, but the greater part of him knew that the only possible chance of him getting anything close to sleep, depended on him speaking to (Y/n).

Arthur hit the button, the phone instantly calling her number; if he heard her voice, if he could just speak to her, he knew that he would instantly feel better.

"Artie honey, is everything ok? I can be on the first flight back if you're not." (Y/n) said as she as she answered the phone, concern evident in her voice. She didn't go interstate often, she hated being away from him, but when she was forced to, she was always on alert just in case he was hurt or injured or had any kind of attack.

Arthur knew he shouldn't but he couldn't help chuckling to himself, he was always taken a back by how much she loved him, how concerned for him and his welfare she was, and even after all the time that they had been together, he couldn't believe that someone as special as (Y/n) was in his life.

"No (Y/n) I'm fine, I'm sorry; it's just....... well, its just that I can't sleep. I didn't mean to worry you." Arthur said apologetically, as he heard (Y/n) let out a relieved sigh.

"That's ok honey. So big bad Mr. Insomnia is playing up, again is he? Well, he's having a busy night, cos he's keeping me up too." (Y/n) chuckled on the other side of the line, Arthur feeling instantly better by just hearing her laugh.

"(Y/n)."

"Yes honey."

"What are you wearing?" Arthur asked, imagining (Y/n) in the scarlet red, lacey underwear that he loved so much.

"Well, at the moment......." (Y/n) purred down the line.

"I'm wearing............ thick fluffy socks, jeans, a huge woollen jumper, and a beanie, its freezing here." (Y/n) laughed, knowing that unfortunately she had ruined Arthur's fantasy.

"Do you have to spoil all my fun?" Arthur said, laughing along with (Y/n).

"You, Mr. Fleck, can save all that fun for when I get home, 24 hours and I'll be back with you, and then I can show you the surprise that I bought for you." (Y/n) said, her words making Arthur sit up a little straighter on the sofa.

"Surprise? What kind of surprise?" Arthur asked excitedly, his green eyes sparkling as his imagination began to run wild.

"Well I'll give you a clue; they're black, and lacey and covered in little red roses, and they will look better on our bedroom floor than they will do on me. They may even replace the scarlet ones as your favourites." (Y/n) said, chuckling as she imagined Arthur's grinning face.

Arthur moaned. "How am I going to sleep if you tell me things like that (Y/n)? You were supposed to help me sleep, not make me horny." Arthur groaned, pouting slightly as (Y/n) chuckled.

"Oh, my poor baby. Don't worry, mommy will make you feel better when she gets home. Now stop pouting and tell me about your day." (Y/n) told him, as Arthur began to gladly unload the stress of his day to the one person that he knew actually cared.

An hour later, and Arthur was laying back on the sofa, every last ounce of anxiety had left his body, and for the first time since (Y/n) had had to leave, he felt his eyes grow heavy.

"Feel better now?" (Y/n) asked, smiling as she heard Arthur yawn on the other side of the phone.

"Mmmmm, but I still wish you were here. The bed is cold, and I spent long enough in a cold, empty bed, I much prefer a warm bed with you in it." Arthur said sleepily, as he got up from the sofa, and made his way back to the bedroom.

"I know honey; but don't worry, when I get home I'm staying home, so I can keep my eye on my little insomniac, then he won't have to watch 'I Love Lucy' re- runs all night." (Y/n) said, listening happily as Arthur chuckled between yawns.

"I love you (Y/n)." Arthur said, sliding back under the sheets and pulling the comforter up under his chin.

"I love you too Artie. Now sleep Mr. Fleck, and I'll see you soon."

Arthur hung up the phone, humming happily as he sank into the mattress, his world so much better now. As his eyes slowly closed, he was glad that he had found a cure for insomnia that no doctor had ever been able to give him, the only cure that he ever needed, and that was (Y/n).