Hope - Arthur x Reader

So, this is a special request for Teary-Eyed_Bride. I hope that this is what you had in mind, and I hope that you and everyone else enjoys this little offering.

Arthur reluctantly made his way up the stairs to work. This was all he needed, the start of another working week, the start of another week. The only good thing was that Ha-Ha's seemed to be busier than usual which meant that Arthur had a little more money in his pocket at the end of the week, but that didn't take away from the fact that they were the same demanding, obnoxious, rude, and in some cases, just downright abusive clients.

With a heavy sigh, Arthur placed his hand on the door to the locker room, reluctantly pushing it open to be hit by the familiar smell of body odour, flatulence and cheap cologne. That, and the sound of Randall's voice over the top of everything.

It was another morning of having to sit and listen the Hoyt drone on about what terrible jobs they were all doing, about how they could all improve in every way. How they should smile more, how they should try harder, Arthur always feeling that Hoyt was looking at him in particular. Yet there was one thing that gave Arthur hope, one person that made turning up to work every day worth it. And that person was (Y/n).

She had only been with Ha-Ha's for six months, but from the first moment Arthur had seen her, from the first moment she had been introduced to him, and smiled her beautiful smile, there seemed to have been a connection between him and Hoyts new go to girl.

(Y/n) had given Arthur his faith back in human nature. Made him believe that there were some good people out there in the big, bad, dark city that they both called home. She was his hope, and hope in Gotham was a hard thing to come by.

Arthur took a seat in his usual chair, his eyes focused on the door as he waited for Hoyt and (Y/n) to make an appearance. He couldn't wait to see her, to see that beautiful smile that he hoped was meant for him and only him.

On countless occasions, Arthur had tried to summon the courage to ask (Y/n) out, he had tried to tell her that he would like to get to know her better. But each time he tried, his self-doubt and his demons would always manifest themselves. The fears of his laugh, or just the fact that he might ruin what he already had with (Y/n) always rearing their ugly heads whenever he thought that he could take the next step.

Arthur watched as Hoyt walked in by himself, with no sign of (Y/n) who would normally come in behind him.

"Do you know where (Y/n) is?" Arthur whispered to Gary, as Hoyt began his usual morning rant.

"No. She would usually be in before any of us, but this morning it was Hoyt that opened the place. I haven't seen her at all." Gary replied as quietly as possible, trying not to bring Hoyt's ire down on himself.

Arthur sat, no longer hearing a single word that was being said. Since she had been there, (Y/n) had never been late, she had never missed a day of work, she was the most reliable person there. And given that, the fact that she wasn't there this morning was only making him worry.

>>-----------------------------<<

The morning meeting seemed to have dragged on longer than usual. But whatever Hoyt had complained about had basically gone through one of Arthur's ears, and out the other. All he could think of was the worst case scenarios. Had (Y/n) been in an accident, had she been badly hurt? Was she dead? Just the idea of any of those was making Arthur's chest tighten and his pulse race. Surly nothing could have happened to something as wonderful as (Y/n)? Surly he had not missed his chance to let her know how he felt about her?

"Hey, Arthur. The meetings over pal." Gary said, nudging the larger man next to him. It more than obvious that Arthur was completely spaced out.

"What?..........Oh, yeah. I.........I just need to talk to Hoyt." Arthur replied, as he jumped to his feet, and quickly followed after their boss.