Gotham's Most Wanted - Part 3

This is a different kind of part and is from Thomas Wayne's point of view. Hope its ok.

He slammed the door behind him and locked it. That bloody woman is gonna be the death of me, he thought to himself as he made his way to his room, a small smirk on his lips.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Wayne was beyond angry. The GCPD had had three days to make headway into finding his sister but had not come up with one single lead. He had always tried to see the best in Gotham's police force, knowing that they were doing the best job they could, faced, as they were, with some insurmountable obstacles. But as day four came around he was questioning the competency of the whole department.

Despite the police commissioner insisting that they would be able to find his sister without any outside help, Thomas had contacted an old friend for assistance. J. Edgar Hoover knew both of the Wayne siblings well and had offered Thomas every assistance in locating (Y/n); and had even placed Joker on the "public enemy" list believing that if Joker could take on Gotham he could be a threat on a national level.

As much as Thomas appreciated it, he knew that placing him on the list was a double edged sword; it would alert the greater general public to Joker, but it was now ensuring his status as one of the most dangerous criminals in America, finding himself among the likes of Dillinger, "Baby Face" Nelson, Bonnie and Clyde, and "Machine Gun" Kelly. The new notoriety would surely appeal to Joker's ego.

Thomas had received the ransom note the day before and had spent yet another sleepless night going over and over every detail it held. The instructions were clear about the drop, but it was the sight of his sisters' signature at the bottom of the note as proof of life that gave Thomas some hope.

Thomas had waited for what felt like an eternity for the special agents Hoover was sending from Washington to arrive, and now that the pair were stood before him, he couldn't say he was overwhelmed with confidence.

"Mr. Wayne, could we possibly see the ransom note." Asked one of the men in the cheap suits that Hoover had promised Thomas were the best.

Thomas sat back in his large chair behind his desk and stared at the man incredulously.

"My sister has been gone for four days, all of Gotham knows who has her, and your biggest concern is to see the ransom note? Hoover assured me personally that you and special agent Jones here were the two best men for the job agent Purvis, but I am yet to be impressed."

"Please sir, I understand your frustrations, but with the new techniques that the bureau are developing we can actually tell a lot from the note. If the note wasn't written by Joker himself, fingerprints on the document could actually tell us who else is working with him, that could then give us a multitude of different possible leads. I wouldn't ask if I didn't believe that it could help." Purvis said in a smooth southern accent.

Thomas let out a heavy sigh and reached into the top draw of his large desk pulling out an envelope and handing it to the agent.

"I have heard of you agent Purvis, your work on the Dillinger case was very impressive, and you've gained yourself quite a reputation; but I assure you that Joker is a very different animal altogether. He has a burning hatred for my family that borders on obsession, and he seems to hate me the most. He blames me for everything he has done, for everything he is, and for all the problems in Gotham. He has my sister agent Purvis, and I fear for her safety. God only knows what he could be doing to her, she may not even be alive; but one way or the other I want her back, by fair means or foul, I don't care what it takes or what I have to do I will have my sister and I will have Joker locked in the deepest pit in Arkham never to be seen again."

Thomas slowly walked over to the large fireplace that dominated the room and leaned against the mantle. He stared into the fire and cursed himself for sending (Y/n) to the bank that day; if he had gone himself, if he hadn't thought that the mountain of correspondence on his desk was more important, if he hadn't wanted to buy that damn property, then she would be safe and here in the manor with him.

He always promised their parents that he would look after her, that he would never let any harm come to her, and he had kept that promise until that fateful day; now she was with that maniac, and for once he felt powerless. No matter how much money he had, no matter how much influence, for once it all meant nothing; and this nagging guilty feeling hung heavily over his head.

He watched silently as Purvis took the note from the envelope and read it carefully.

"He's asking for a lot a money Mr. Wayne, $200,000 for the safe return of your sister; do you have that kinda money to hand Mr. Wayne?" Purvis enquired.

Thomas nodded his head. "That and more agent Purvis, and I would give every last cent to get my sister back. She is an integral part in every aspect of my life, she knows the ins and outs of every business deal, every take over, every merger that goes on under the Wayne banner, and those of our rivals; she knows and runs the company better than I ever could. But our father put me in charge believing that as a woman (Y/n) would not be up to the task of running the family business, how wrong he was. I would never usually give into a criminal such as Joker, but if we need the money, I can have it in 48 hours." Thomas said pouring himself an extra large scotch.

"Your sister sounds like a very intelligent and resourceful woman Mr. Wayne." Agent Jones said as Purvis handed him the ransom note.

"That she is agent Jones. She also tough, stubborn, quick witted and sarcastic; you know there is actually a small part of me that feels sorry for Joker. Knowing my dear sister, she is probably doing all she can to drive him more insane than he already is." Thomas said with a slight chuckle.

"(Y/n) is very much like my father, though she would never admit it. She doesn't suffer fools gladly and she never did know when to bite her tongue." Thomas took a large gulp of his drink and moved back to the fireplace, dropping himself into one of the large oak and leather chairs that were placed in front of it.

Agent Purvis placed the letter carefully back in the envelope and put it in his pocket.

"The director has given us every resource to get your sister back Mr. Wayne. Special agent Jones and I are leading a team of men and woman picked by Mr. Hoover himself. He has desire to return your sister to you and ensure that Joker pays for his crimes. As difficult as it is, I am going to have to ask you to be patient Mr. Wayne; the team is already working on chasing up some of Jokers old followers and partners, we believe that your sister is probably being held at one of his safe houses, we just have to narrow it down."

Purvis was doing his best to console the distraught man in front of him; although it wasn't usually his role to deal with kidnap cases, Hoover had told him how important the Wayne family was, and a criminal was a criminal as far as Purvis was concerned, and now that Joker was on the public enemy list he was fair game.

"Please rest assured Mr. Wayne, as soon as we have anything you will be the first to know. And you have my personal promise that you get your sister back, safe and sound." Purvis told Thomas, as he placed his fedora back on his head.

"Bring her back agent Purvis, just bring her back." Purvis heard as he and Jones left the manor.