Angel of mercy - Part 5 - Arthur x Reader

"So......... Pseudobulbar affect, huh?" (Y/n) said as she drove her beat up old car out of the suburbs. Trying to keep one eye on the road and the other on a hesitant looking Arthur.

"Sorry. You don't have to tell me anything. I know that it's been a long day for you. Even in the best circumstances I can imagine that working with kids can on one hand be fun, but on the other exhausting. Or maybe it's just the parents that you have to deal with, that are exhausting." (Y/n) chuckled. The doctor wondering why the clown had suddenly grown so quiet.

"I'm sorry." Arthur replied, barely above a whisper as he rubbed his hands together nervously.

"I told you Arthur, there's no need to be sorry. You had an episode. There's nothing you can do about it. And anyway, Nathan thought you were wonderful. Which should be the most important thing. And it allowed me to tell that snarling pack of Stepford wives, what I thought about them. I've been wanting to do that for years. Especially that Vanessa." (Y/n) replied. Hating the idea that Arthur still felt guilty about something that he couldn't control.

"It........it's not that. I..........I'm sorry for trying to kiss you earlier." Arthur confessed. Wondering what (Y/n) was doing as she quickly pulled her car over to the kerb.

"Arthur." (Y/n) said softly, as she turned to look at the man next to her. Taking the hands that he was still rubbing together, in her own.

"You don't have to be sorry for that either, Arthur. I wanted you to kiss me. I still want you to kiss me. I want to kiss you." (Y/n) continued. Arthur's head shooting up. Hoping that what he had just heard, he had really just heard.

"Under my Hippocratic Oath, I suppose that I really shouldn't have tried to kiss you when you were my patient. But now that your no longer my patient. I would really like to kiss you." (Y/n) admitted as she giggled at a shocked Arthur's face. Her hand reaching up and softly caressing his cheek which still had the last remnants of his makeup on it. The clown's eyes fluttering shut as he savoured her touch.

(Y/n) couldn't remember the last time that she had been so nervous. Maybe when she felt like she hadn't studied enough for her anatomy finals, fearing that she would fail. But with a man, never.

"Are........are you sure, (Y/n)?" Arthur asked, opening his eyes to see that he and (Y/n) were now face to face. Their noses almost touching.

"If you want to. Then yes." (Y/n) replied. Arthur feeling his heart pound violently against his ribcage as his lips ghosted over (Y/n)'s.

(Y/n) took a sharp intake of breath as a sudden pounding on the windscreen made her and Arthur jump apart once again. Their eyes falling on a homeless man that seemed to be begging for money. (Y/n) turning the key in the ignition and slowly pulling back into traffic.

"I think that the universe is telling us that we should go somewhere a little quieter." (Y/n) giggled as they continued through the streets. Arthur instead believing that the universe hated him and was doing all it could to make him suffer as always. The clown at once feeling that he had never been so close to knowing what it was like to be cared for, but yet still feeling so far.

"You could always come up to my apartment. I can make some tea. If.......I mean if you like." Arthur told her. Hesitant about offering to let the beautiful doctor see where he actually lived, but not wanting to give up on the chance of actually getting the kiss that he so longed for.

"I'd like that, Arthur. Tea sounds great." (Y/n) replied as she dodged through the traffic of the busy city streets. Both occupants of the car feeling more at home, now that the large buildings were looming over them.

                                                          >>--------------------------------<<

(Y/n) pulled up outside Arthur's old apartment building. She had to admit that it didn't exactly look like the nicest place. And it wasn't the safest part of the city, but she knew from experience that you should never judge a book by its cover. During her time in the emergency department (Y/n) had found that some of the sweetest looking little old ladies could make the worst patients, and the biggest, scariest looking men could be the nicest people to deal with. So, the environment didn't necessarily mean, that what was inside, and in particular Arthur's apartment, would be that bad.

"I have to warn you that my apartment isn't much, (Y/n)." Arthur began apologetically, as he took off his seatbelt. Himself looking up at the old building. Dreading what the doctor would think when she followed him inside.

"I'm sure its fine, Arthur. I swear that my place looks like a bomb's hit it. I don't get much chance to clean up. And when I do get some time, I usually end up just sleeping." (Y/n) replied, as she placed a reassuring hand on his arm. Arthur feeling slightly less apprehensive as (Y/n) smiled softly at him.

"Well, how about that tea, Mister Fleck." (Y/n) continued as she took off her own belt and climbed out of the car. Arthur following suit, before he moved around (Y/n) quickly, making his way to the front door of the apartment building and opening it for.

(Y/n) climbed out of the elevator, glad that the thing had actually made it up to Arthur's floor. Happy that she was standing on a surface that was more solid than the bottom of the lift.

"Like I said........it.......it isn't much." Arthur apologised again. As he placed his key in the lock and opened the door. Reluctantly letting (Y/n) enter.

(Y/n) looked around. She had to admit that Arthur was right, it wasn't much. But there was something about the small apartment that was quite nice. It was wonderfully shabby, and in a strange way reminded her of how Arthur dressed when he was in his normal clothes. All the furniture looked old and reminded her of some of the things that her grandparents had had when she was little. And the entire place smelt like a heady mix of cigarettes and deodorant. The whole thing making her feel oddly comfortable.

"Er, why don't you take a seat. I'll just go clean up, and then I'll make the tea." Arthur said, as he hurriedly pulled some of his clothes from the sofa. Brushing it off so that (Y/n) could sit down, before rushing off to the bathroom.

                                                              >>----------------------------------<<

Arthur shut the door behind him, looking at his reflection in the mirror. Struggling to believe that he actually had his angel of mercy sat in his living room. Quickly stripping of his clown costume, he turned on the taps in the shower, the hot water running down his body as he stepped into the steady stream. The warm liquid doing little to cool his ardour. Every time (Y/n) had gotten close. Every time that he had gone to kiss her. His body had taken over, a rush of blood to a certain part of his anatomy making it more than clear that it wanted more than a simple kiss. But at this moment, that kiss would be just as good as anything else. And if (Y/n) still wanted to be around him after he had basically ruined her nephew's birthday party, and after she had seen his apartment, then maybe, just maybe, his body would get its wish somewhere down the line.

Getting out of the shower, he dried himself quickly. Determined not to leave (Y/n) on her own for any longer than he had to. Also not wanting to give her too much time to rethink whether she should kiss him or not.

Taking one last look in the mirror, he brushed his damp hair back over his head, before taking a deep breath and opening the door.

"Well, that looks better." (Y/n) said, as Arthur walked back into the room. The sweat and makeup removed from his face to properly reveal the adorable man that lay underneath. Arthur blushing as he made his way over to the kitchen. Putting on the kettle so that he could make her the tea that he had promised.

"Arthur. Will you come here?" (Y/n) asked, as she held out her hand for him to take. Arthur emerging from the kitchen and walking over to the sofa. Taking (Y/n)'s hand and sitting next to her.

"There are no more nephews. No more homeless guys. So, let's not give the universe an opportunity to put another obstacle in our path. Kiss me, Arthur. Please." (Y/n) almost whispered as she inched closer to him. Their bodies touching. Arthur closing his eyes as he once again felt (Y/n)'s hand on his cheek. Praying that the universe would indeed not interrupt before he was able to feel her lips on his.

Then it happened. Arthur's eyes flying back open as their lips finally touched. His arms instinctively wrapping themselves around her, as (Y/n)'s fingers slowly moved from his cheek to comb through his hair. Arthur pulling his angel of mercy closer, as the pair deepened the kiss that they had both been waiting for.