Open and shut case - Part 12 - Joker x Reader

(Y/n) had once again been amazed, or should that be shocked, as Arthur went over what had happened on the Franklin Show. It was one thing to have watched the recording. To have read the reports. But to actually hear what was going on in his mind as he had sat on that sofa, was certainly something else.

It had been hard enough to watch, as Joker had come out with his last joke. The words "What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner, with a society that abandons him and treats him like trash? I'll tell you what you get. You get what you fuckin deserve", actually scaring her, as she heard the real hatred and anger in his voice. It not getting any easier as he had put the bullet into Franklin's head. As he had sat and smiled, his face splattered in the host's blood. As he had laughed before getting to his feet and shooting the already dead comedian in the chest. But now, to see that he was still delighted by the whole thing, just made everything even worse. (Y/n) sure that for the first time, she was actually seeing Joker. Just Joker. Not Arthur. Not a mixture of the identities. Just Joker. His voice deeper. His demeanour stronger. The look in his eyes completely different to when she had spoken to him before. The way he would laugh................

"So.........do you think I'm crazy............?" Her client suddenly enquired, as he butted out his umpteenth cigarette.

"What.........? Um...........crazy........? I am afraid that I'm not qualified to talk about any mental health issues that you may have, Arthur. I'm not a shrink. But, I would never call you crazy. Crazy.........well, crazy is such a demeaning word when it is used to describe a person. I prefer to simply see you as a little different. That you are wired in a different way to the rest of us. Though that said, I will have to prove that you are crazy to a jury, if I am going to keep that butt of yours out of the chair. And speaking of that.........I have spoken to two independent psychiatrists that have been hired by my firm to come and speak with you. We already have the reports from the doctors here. The paperwork on what happened to you at the hands of Peggy Fleck's boyfriend. How you have suffered from a number of conditions for years. And that will hopefully all work in our favour. So, the prosecution will try and get someone that will give evidence to say that you are making all this up. That you are a malingerer, as far as your mental wellbeing is concerned. That you just killed all these people because you are bad and deserve to be punished for this. That you are evil and knew exactly what you were doing. So, the more expert testimonies we have, the better. Now, it won't be any day soon, as the doctors need to come in from out of town. But when they do get here, I just need you to answer all their questions like you have mine. To tell them what was going on in your head at the time of each of the deaths. But in the meantime, I have an investigator that is going to go over all the police, eyewitness reports and crime scene photos. They are going to go and reinterview people and see if they can come up with something that can help the case. Though the most important thing I have to do now, is petition the court for an extension. Get the judge to give me more time so that we have everything in place when you go to court. Its going to be a very busy next few months, Arthur. I just hope that you won't get sick of seeing me." (Y/n) told him, as she placed her little recorder and notes into her briefcase.

Joker sat there for a moment. Quite dumbfounded by what he had just heard. She was going to do all that for him. Really? Independent doctors. An investigator. An extension to his pre-trial date? No one before had ever been willing to do so much for him. No one had ever cared. Joker knowing, that as he had told Murray's audience that night as they had booed him after he had made the "joke" that the three men on the train couldn't carry a tune to save their lives; if it had been him dying on the sidewalk, they would have just walked over him. Arthur Fleck, the human doormat. But here, now, there was someone that seemed to care whether he lived or died. Someone that wouldn't have walked over him. Someone that it had only take six deaths, and having a city burn, to find.

"Really..............? You're going to do all that...............?"

"Of course. Firstly, I am doing it because its my job. This is what I get paid to do. Secondly, I am doing this because it's the right thing to do. You deserve a defence just like everyone else. You deserve the best that I can do for you, despite your crimes. And thirdly, and...........and well, most importantly, I'm doing it because I like you, Arthur. I don't like what you did. But............I like you. And I think that Arthur, even Joker is worth saving. So, I really am going to do all that." (Y/n) replied, as she smiled at Arthur. Her heart jumping up into her throat, as he reached across the table and grabbed her hand. Bringing it up to his lips, and gently kissing her knuckles.

"If only Arthur had met you. Then none of this might have happened." Joker replied. His lips connecting with her skin once more, as he looked up at her through his dark lashes. His own heart threatening to break from his chest, as he saw her blush at his comment.

"I should go. I have to get this interview transcribed. And then tomorrow, make my appeal to the court. I think that given the fact that the public defenders office did nothing for your case, will give me grounds for the extension. And I am also hoping to argue that your case should be heard outside Gotham, on grounds that I don't think you'll get a fair trial here. Your case is very polarising, Arthur, so we have to be careful. And I don't want the prosecutor being able to argue in return that you only didn't get the death sentence because your supporters somehow managed to influence the jury. As I said, we are going to be seeing a lot more of one another over the coming months. By the time that this is all over, you'll never want to see my face again." (Y/n) explained with a chuckle, as she slowly pulled her hand away from Arthur's and got to her feet.

"I doubt that I will ever not want to see your face, (Y/n). I doubt it very much." Joker hummed, as he looked up at her. His eyes firmly focused on hers.

"Can you come again, tomorrow........?" Joker continued, as he got to his feet and escorted (Y/n) to the door. Knocking on it to get the attention of one of the guards outside.

"No. Not tomorrow. As I said, I'll be busy at court. But the day after I will come and let you know what's going on. In the meantime, if you think of anything that might help, make a note and we can talk about it." (Y/n) replied. Her eyes growing wide, as he leaned over and placed a kiss to her cheek before the door was opened by the guards.

"I look forward to it, (Y/n).................."