The Jester - Part 2

King John sat on his throne with a black clad Guy of Gisborne standing by his side, both men feeling that their time was being wasted by the current situation.

"Why do you bother me with mere trifles from the provinces, Sheriff, surly you are more than capable of dealing with this so called Jester?" King John sneered as he looked down at the Sherriff and Gregor Perk. The two men had made the long journey from Nottingham down to London, in order to beseech the King for his assistance in dealing with the scourge of the outlaw that had taken up residence in the great Sherwood forest.

"Do I not already supply you, at great expense I may add, with some of the best men and equipment? How can you not take care of one simple outlaw?" John growled, drumming his finger impatiently on the arms of his throne as he waited for a suitable response.

The news of Gregor's brush with the notorious bandit, and his unfortunate, rather embarrassing return to the city, had even reached the capital and despite his initial amusement at the situation, John was now more than a little annoyed that the Sherriff had seen fit to bother him with a situation that should be more than easy to rectify.

"Why is it that you have come to waste my precious time, what more do you want from your Sovereign? Do you want more men, more gold, more weapons? Just because some foolish fat merchant was robbed going through the forest, that does not mean that I am going to waste anymore of my kingdoms precious resources on this paltry problem." John bellowed, rising from his throne and making his way over to the two men, both of whom seemed to cower slightly under the regent's glare.

"John." A soft voice called out, all men turning to see the woman that had just stepped forward.

"You know that you should not allow these things to upset you, it is not good for your humours." The woman said, as she gracefully walked over and took the Kings hand.

"You are of course correct as always, my dearest cousin. What would I do without your sage advice and care?" John sighed, as he allowed the lady to escort him back to his throne.

"Gentlemen, I would like to introduce you both to my cousin, the lady (Y/n) of Aquitaine." John hummed, kissing the woman by his side softly on the hand.

"My dearest lord, I know that I am but a mere woman, but may I suggest a course of action that may prove to rectify this issue without the need for you to dispense any more time, men or gold." (Y/n) asked, moving around to her cousin's other side to avoid the looming black figure of Guy of Gisborne.

Ever since (Y/n) had made her way from France to be at her cousins' aid, Gisborne had been a thorn in her side, a seemingly ever present shadow that followed her around like an unwanted spectre, and it was more than obvious that his intentions towards her were less than platonic; much to her chagrin she had even heard Gisborne and John speaking about a possible marriage, a marriage that she was determined would not go ahead.

(Y/n) had no real love for John, he was a reckless and irresponsible, a cruel tyrant with a weak backbone who let others do the fighting for him; but her other cousin, Richard, the man that was the true King of England, had asked her to watch over John while he was in the Holy Lands fighting the Saracen scourge, knowing that she was a true intellect, a strong, dependable level headed lady, and had she been a man, would have made an excellent king.

"You are no mere woman, my dear (Y/n), and I would very much like to hear your solution to this inconsequential issue." John hummed, taking her hand and squeezing it softly.

"Send me back to Nottingham with the Sheriff, who better than I to deal with this matter? I am sure that the good Sheriff has done all he can, but a new perspective on the problem may provide a solution." (Y/n) said, curtsying respectfully as she hoped that John would agree with her suggestion, anything to get her away from the advances of Gisborne.