Angel of mercy - Arthur x Reader

Now I am no nurse, no doctor, so if anything is incorrect, I hope you don't let it ruin the imagine for you. Hope you enjoy💉🩺👩🏻‍⚕️🩹💊

Arthur hated hospitals. He hated the sight of the white walls. The smell of the industrial grade disinfectant. He hated the incessant noise from the many machines as he passed the occupied cubicles. All in all, he hated hospitals. The only reason that he was currently in Arkham General, was that Gary had had an accident at a job, and Arthur had volunteered to make sure that the little man was alright.

But as he traversed the long passageway through the emergency department, looking for his friend, Arthur was beginning to question whether or not volunteering had been the best thing to do.

There was only one saving grace that Arthur could see to being in a place where people lay in beds in the corridors, waiting to be seen. Only one real reason that he would step foot into a setting where it was normal to see people with gunshot wound, horrific lacerations, and raging alcoholics and drug addicts that needed to be secured by security guards. And that was his angel of mercy, Doctor (Y/f/n) (Y/l/n).

Whenever Arthur had found himself forced to attend the emergency department, after he had been beaten by his latest bully. The beautiful doctor always seemed to be on call. No matter what time of the day or night, the dedicated physician could be found patching up the less fortunate of the city. Him included.

She always seemed to have the sweetest smile. Always had the warmest bedside manner. Even when it seemed obvious that she hadn't slept or eaten properly in days, doctor (Y/l/n) always seemed to pull it together when it was required.

As he rounded yet another corner, Arthur was greeted by the sounds of multiple giggling women. His eyes widening as he drew up to a cubicle that was surrounded by nurses.

Arthur couldn't help but smile softly and shake his head as he heard Gary's voice. The consummate clown apparently entertaining the bevy of beauties that were crammed into the little room.

"Come on now. Let's get back to work. Mister Henderson needs his obs taking. Misses Gonzalez needs taking to Xray. And Mister Jacobs requires medication." A familiar voice of a female called out with a chuckle, as the nurses reluctantly scattered back to the other parts of the department.

"Now, how many times have I told you? As much as I appreciate a little fun, the nurses have other patients to attend to, young man." The voice continued, Arthur smiling broadly as he saw his favourite doctor make her way into Gary's cubicle.

"Sorry doc, I couldn't resist." Gary apologised, the little man grinning as he saw Arthur suddenly appear from around the curtain.

"Hi Arthur. What you doing here?" Gary enquired, as he and the doctor turned to see his visitor. Arthur blushing as the physician smiled broadly at the embarrassed man.

"I, er.........I volunteered to come and make sure that you were ok. Hoyts worried that you'll find some way of suing him for all this." Arthur replied, his eyes nervously darting between the floor and the beautiful doctor.

"Don't tell me that you two know one another? Although I should have guested. You, Mister Fleck, distract me as much as your friend here distracts the nurses. I swear, I would never have considered being a clown a dangerous occupation. But with you two, I'm not so sure." The doctor chuckled. Arthur's eyes flying up to meet hers at the mention that she found him distracting.

"It was very nice of you to come and check up on your friend here. Now, why don't I take a look at your injury." The doctor continued, as she pulled up a small stool, and examined the deep laceration on Gary's leg. The little man hissing as she carefully cut through the material of his clown costume.

"Well........its deep, but nothing I can't fix. You're going to need a few stitches, but luckily for you, I'm good at sewing." The doctor laughed as she got to her feet and proceeded to wash her hands.

"Do you want to stay, Mister Fleck? It won't take me long. But if you're feeling a little squeamish, you can always go and sit in the waiting room." The doctor told him, as she peered out of the cubicle, instructing one of the nurses to acquire all the things she would need to suture the little clown's laceration.

"I'll..........I'll stay if that's ok, with you? And it's........it's Arthur." Arthur replied nervously as he looked between Gary and the lady.

"Fine by me pal. You can tell everyone how brave I was." Gary replied jokingly, as he watched Arthur continue to stare at the doctor.

"Well, as its ok with my patient. I am more than happy for you to stay........Arthur. And you can call me (Y/n)." The doctor smiled, as she left the two men, and made her way over to the central desk of the department. Opening what looked like a folder and scribbling something inside.

"Beautiful isn't she?" Gary asked, chuckling at Arthur, as the bigger man continued to stare longingly at the doctor.

"Er.......I. Yeah, I suppose so." Arthur replied, trying to pretend that he wasn't already well aware of how beautiful (Y/n) really was.

"Suppose so? Oh please. Not only is she a doctor, but she has the patience of Job, and she's drop dead gorgeous. That's a win, win, win, in my book." Gary told him, the little man wincing as he tried to get a little more comfortable.

"Plus, I think out lovely doctor likes you. She said that you distracted her. And I don't think she meant in a bad way. Plus, she just said you should call her by her first name." Gary continued, as Arthur spun on his heels, looking at his friend in disbelief.

"I........I know, but, well.......she's a doctor and I'm.....well, I'm not. And I'm sure that she didn't mean it in that way." Arthur spluttered out. Doing his best to ignore Gary's huge, knowing smile.

"Arthur, love knows no boundaries. It doesn't see class, race or gender. And it certainly doesn't see the fact that one party went to college and became a doctor, and the other didn't and became a clown. How do you know the beauteous physician anyway? Seems like you two have bumped into one another on more than one occasion." Gary enquired, as Arthur turned back to watch his favourite doctor speak quietly to one of her colleagues.

"I had a couple of, er........ accidents. Got cut up bad. Doctor (Y/l/n).......(Y/n), fixed me up." Arthur replied with a shrug, not really wanting to tell his friend that he had been in and out of the emergency department more times than he actually cared to remember. Each time (Y/n) being the one to take care of him.

"So." (Y/n) said happily, as she wheeled a small trolley into the room. Not knowing that she had just interrupted a conversation about her.

"I will numb the area around the wound, and then we will get you back in one piece." She explained, pulling on a pair of gloves before grabbing the hypodermic from the tray.

                                                          >>-------------------------------<<

Arthur watched as (Y/n) carefully and meticulously sutured his friend back together, each stitch neat and precise.

"You're very good at that, (Y/n)." Arthur said quietly as he peered over her shoulder.

"I unfortunately get a lot of practice in here. Sutures and digging out bullets seem to be my bread and butter. I'm sure that I could do both in my sleep by now. And you, Arthur, have recently been one of my best customers." (Y/n) chuckled, as she placed a large gauze on Gary's wound, and peeled off her gloves.

"Now, I will prescribe you some antibiotics. And you will need to get the sutures out in around fourteen to twenty one days. Try to rest it, don't do anything strenuous, and no more falling onto broken glass. Those stitches are that good, I should take a picture." (Y/n) told Gary, as she got to her feet and turned to look at Arthur.

"If you are ok to help him home, he is free to go. And I hope that I don't see you in here again too soon. Arthur." (Y/n) said, bidding the two men farewell, as she pulled back the curtain on the cubicle, and wheeled out her trolley.

Arthur hoping that he wouldn't have to get beaten up again to get another chance to get to see his angel of mercy.