New years wish - Arthur x Reader

Just a little bit of something sweet for the new year. And I hope that 2022 is better for all of us.

Arthur sat in his apartment. The TV on but just there as background noise. Arthur not really taking any notice of anything that was going on. The world was coming to the end of another year. The next year only a short time away. And as per usual, he was on his own. The sound of raucous revellers passing by outside his apartment building. The sound of music coming from other apartments, other floors, only serving to remind him that this new year would probably be as bad as the last. That just like so many others before, he would spend it alone. That it would bring nothing more that its usual endless cycle of work, abuse, and his apartment. Of endeavouring to make his dreams come true, yet always falling short. Arthur realising that nothing was ever really going to change. New year or not.

Suddenly a knock came to the door. The rap only just loud enough to be heard over the noise of the TV. Arthur getting up and quickly turning down the volume, before making his way to the door. The clown preparing himself to come face to face with an angry neighbour that was going to complain about the noise, despite all the other noise that was going on around them.

"Oh, er........(Y/n). Hi.........." Arthur blurted out, as his eyes fell on his next door neighbour. A neighbour that he had met in the elevator when she had first moved into the building. A neighbour that he had been thinking about ever since they had been crammed in the small space together. Since she had introduced herself. Had shaken his hand and told him that she hoped that they could be friends. Given the fact that they would be living next to one another. Dreaming about her since she had invited him in for coffee. Arthur instantly feeling at ease with the beautiful woman. The two spending the rest of the day, sitting and talking. The usually quiet and nervous man, finding himself opening up. Telling (Y/n) about his conditions. About his world. Arthur slightly shocked, but happy that she seemed to accept and understand everything that he told her.

In truth, he wished that he had been able to also tell her, how he had come to feel for her. That he wished that instead of his dingy, lonely apartment, he could come back to her. Come home after a long day, to a pair or warm arms that would wrap themselves around him, rather than the thin blanket that he would pull around his shoulders. Yet how could he say any of that? (Y/n) was beautiful, smart, funny and sweet. She was kindness in an otherwise cruel world. And he was........well he was just him. Just Arthur Fleck. Unable to summon up the courage to ask her if she could care.

"I'm sorry if the sound of the TV was disturbing you. I.............."

"What? Oh, no............well, I was a little worried about you, but I'm not here because of the volume on the TV. Heck, with all the others celebrating the New Year, I don't even think I could tell. I'm actually here because I thought you might be on your own, and........well, I just happen to be on my own. So, I hoped that maybe I could see if my favourite neighbour would like to see the New Year in with me? I don't think that people should be by themselves at this time of year, you know. And if you're not busy, or you haven't got any company, I sort of hoped that you and I could sort of celebrate. Together." (Y/n) explained, as she fiddled with her fingers. A broad smile pulling at her lips, as Arthur blurted out a loud "Yes" in reply. His brows furrowing as (Y/n) suddenly rushed back to her door and threw it open. The sound of things clinking and chunking coming from the apartment, before she finally reappeared with a bottle of wine and two glasses in her hand. Arthur happily opening the door and letting her in. Quickly racing over to it. Removing the rubbish so that she could sit down.

"I know that you don't really drink, Arthur. But I kinda thought that you might like to join me in a glass of this sparkling stuff. The guy at the store described it as Champagne, but given the price, I doubt it." (Y/n) chuckled. Patting the spot next to her on the sofa. Arthur happily taking a seat. Watching as she pulled the foil from the bottle. The wire cage the next to be dropped to the coffee table, before she pulled on the cork. The stopper leaving the bottle with a loud pop. Arthur holding onto the glasses, as (Y/n) poured the bubbling liquid in. (Y/n) taking one and clinking it against the flute left in his hand. The pair looking out of the window, as fireworks began to light up the dark sky.

"Well. Nearly the end of another year." (Y/n) sighed as she took a sip of the wine.

"Do you have any hopes.......wishes for the next year?" She continued. Arthur knowing that he had one. But not sure whether he could voice it.

"Just.........just one." Arthur replied quietly, as he dipped his fingertip into the "Champagne". The bubbles sticking to his skin.

"And......and what would that be. If......if you don't mind me asking?" (Y/n) enquired, as she moved a little closer to him. Hoping that her favourite neighbours wish for the brand new year, might just be the same as hers.

"Well.......I had hoped that you........you might like to spend more time with me this year. That you might............."

"Might like to be your girlfriend?" (Y/n) interrupted. Arthur's eyes flying up to meet hers. His cheeks glowing red, as (Y/n) took his hand. Her fingers interlacing with his. Arthur taking a large gulp of the liquid in his glass before he slowly nodded. (Y/n) pushing his hair from his face, as the clock began to strike. The last moments of the old year coming to an end, as the two neighbours looked into one another's eyes.

"That's funny. Because that was my wish for the new year too. So, what say we start with a kiss? I mean, I can't think of a better way to start a new year. Can you?" (Y/n) asked, as she moved even closer. Arthur shaking his head. Not sure that he could believe what was happening. His heart beating faster, as he felt her lips connect to his. His arms wrapping themselves around her, as the twelfth chime rang out. The city around them cheering, as Arthur had the most wonderful feeling that for once, the new year might just be worth celebrating.